Cubase on windows 7

Hi,

I have a “new” PC with Windows 7 installed that I would like to install the latest version of Cubase that I can on .

I have been a long time user of VST5 and think it is time for a long overdue upgrade.

Am I able to purchase a legacy version from steinberg somewhere?

Cheers,

:slight_smile:

New? Windows 7? One cannot help ask why? It’s totally unsupported by all vendors. A curious requirement. Perhaps you could explain?

Hi,

The latest supported one on Windows 7 is Cubase 8.5 (I believe).

basically because I didn’t want to be forced into upgrading my audio interfaces.

Cheers.

Where can I buy this version (I’ve tried all the usual places)?

Observe the page title ‘Unsupported’. [Sorry, the Discourse onebox format shows the wrong information. but it’s the right page.]

I’ve seen these pages but wasn’t sure if it was free?

Is all of the software on the “…support/downloads…” “Unsupported Products” menu free, full versions and good to use?

If so, wow!

I take it i will need serial numbers?
If so, where can I buy them?

Hi,

Cubase 10 is the last supported Cubase version for Windows 7. It needs an e-licenser to work. I’m not sure how this works nowadays, since Steinberg switched to another activation system which is software-based with the introduction of Cubase 12. I think you’d need to buy a Cubase 12 license so that you can download and run Cubase 10, but I’m not sure if you still can get a valid license for the e-licenser.

Following my last post, this is stated in the licensing FAQs on Steinberg’s website:

After I update to Steinberg Licensing, will I still be able to run previous versions of the products I’ve bought?

Yes, provided you either have your USB-eLicenser connected to your computer, or the Soft-eLicenser containing the license for the previous version of the product is present on the computer. The new Steinberg Licensing system does not apply to versions of our products prior to the first version that uses the new system: so if you buy, say, a new license for Cubase 12 as a brand new customer, you cannot run Cubase 11 or earlier, but if you are an existing Steinberg customer who updates to Cubase 12 from Cubase 11, you can still run Cubase 11 or indeed any previous version of Cubase provided you connect your USB-eLicenser containing the license for Cubase 11.

I have the e-licenser that I used with my old VST 5 when I no longer had a parallel port. lol

So, I need to buy brand new Cubase to use a legacy version???

I doubt they’d let me upgrade from VST5 to Cubase 7 or 8, would they?

Yes.

You’d need at least Cubase 4 to be able to upgrade to Cubase 12. Maybe it would be of help to you to check ebay for used Cubase 10 versions + e-licensers.

Yep.

Would v10 run on Win7?

Yes. From v 10.5 on it’s Windows 10 only.

cheers

I use 10.5. I’m happy using windows 7 too. Planned obsolescence is a bummer, why can’t we all upgrade on platforms we have all bought with hard earned money? I also bought a cheap iMac and got around all those issues and use Logic Pro x as well. :v:

Maybe someone here can help?

I cannot get the elicenser to run on windows 7. And I can not get the service pack or any updates from microsoft as this is a discontinued product with no support.

Has it been working on your pic windows 7?

What version of Cubase are you using? I think anything above 10 is a no go