Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

Use Cubase 8.5 next to C9. There is no issue. Bitbridging always has been an achilles heel, other DAWs have kicked 32 bit a few versions ago.

My EastWest Play engine is blacklisted. That seems like a big one.

DSarp: you can reactivate the East West Play 5.0.0 Plugin in the Plugin Manager. East West will release very soon an update for Play 5.0.0 that will pass the Scanner without problems.

ā€œDITTO! If a plug-in refuses to be ā€˜re-activatedā€™, there should be some sort of Reason Code or Log.ā€
If a plug-in refuses to be re-activated this usually means on Windows that the dll is not a valid plugin dll. IZotope for example installs dlls into the VST Plugin folder that are no valid plugins. The scanner sorts them out.
All iZotope plugins should be available in Cubase on Windows.

Izotope Ozone 5 picked up and running perfectly on 9 here.

Iā€™m afraid that upgrading to Sierra will not help either:
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/macos-sierra-steinberg-software-compatibility-information.html
Scroll down to ā€œThe Grand 3ā€

The Grand is apparently incompatible with both Sierra and Cubase 9!

Why not you use 8.5 for old projects?

Hello,
User of Cubase for a very long time, I rushed on the new version 9 yesterdayā€¦ In the place, to wait for the first noticesā€¦
Thus the big novelty it is a module ā€˜Sentinelā€™ (anything that the name frightens) roughly that verifies all your plugins and without explanation that tosses 60 % of plug - in in a blacklist. Roughly, they become unusableā€¦ Thus your previous projects died ā€¦
The AFTER-SALES SERVICE, after some messages, tells me that I need to contact the editors of the plugin while everything works under Cubase 8.5. ā€œCubase9 is more stable without third party pluginsā€
Do not lose 100ā‚¬ in this update, stay under 8.5.

That sucks. The Grand 3 does works on windows with cubase 9 though.

Are you saying that Cubase 9 does not blacklist it on Windows? That must mean that Cubase 9 is using different blacklist algorithms on Windows and macOS. This only gets worse and worse.

If using a project created in 8.5 with Kontakt loaded, most plugins will refuse to load. Iā€™ve reported the bug. (Win10 64 bit)

The Grand 3 gets blacklisted on Sierra because itā€™s incompatible with that OSā€¦

Yes, my Grand 3 has loaded up in Cubase 9 fine on my Windows PC. Must be a Mac OS incompatibility thing.

Thanks for the warningā€¦. I was just about to upgrade to 9 after watching videos hyping it up.
Will remain on 8.5 for now.
Hopefully we can disable this scary sounding sentinel in the future

Just as a counter balance to the above post, when I loaded up Cubase 9, every single 64 bit plug and instrument loaded perfectly. All my UAD, all my Waves, everything.
The only things in the sentinels blacklist were two 32bit plugs (an older multiband and a free melotron plug) that I knew wouldnā€™t make it through.

Iā€™m getting the feeling that the same users that would blame Cubase for being unstable are now complaining that their unstable plugins get blacklisted.

No they are not, they are complaining that their stable plug-ins are being blacklisted.

Itā€™s impossible to see any pattern or ascertain why a plug-in is blacklisted. As a matter of fact, the same plug-in may be blacklisted on one system, but not on another. Itā€™s obvious that the blacklisting has nothing to do with whether a plug-in is stable or not. What the criteria are, is still a mystery.

Could this be a first step in making VST a closed Steinberg only format, where no third-party developers are allowed?

Not one single plugin I have blacklisted, that includes Izotope, (apart from the usual .dllā€™s due to the odd nature of the way Izotope do VST plugins), Arturia, Soundtoys all good Inc. new Echoboy Jr, Cableguys new Shaperbox good, u-he synths all good, Waves and Fabfilter (the ones I have anyway) all good.
Seriously If you have a problem its either very old (look for an update), 32 bit, or just re-enable it in the plugin manager and scan it again.

Hi,
We can ask together Steinberg to have the option to desactivate the sentinel at our own risk.
Iā€™m really angry to have C9 and canā€™t work with. :imp:

ā€œIā€™m really angry to have C9 and canā€™t work with.ā€
Which plugins are you missing? Are you on Windows or Mac? Have you tried reactivating the 64 Bit plugins on your blacklist?