Cubase pro 9 crashing within a few minutes of launch

Hi,

We had a look to the mini crash dump, and this points to a hardware issue.

But now, it becomes really scary, when there are two of you.

Could you try to install older Cubase version? Cubase 8/8.6 or so?

Cubase 8.5 is loading (kinda) fine.
It is loading but there is one VST that crashes Cubase 8.5 on startup (doesn’t happen on my older machine that runs Cubase 8.5+9 perfectly…)
When I remove it, it loads up fine. Still… Something is off there…

Id45, could you make a mini dump too, please? To make sure, it’s really the same. Do you also run in to the BSOD?

CUBASE 8.5 Tested

Cubase 8.5 is not crashing. In fact it is playing an arturia VST in the background as I’m typing. I did have to reinstall Elicenser because it corrupted the softlicenser.

SO cubase 8.5 functions in both windos 7 and 10 on my system…So many ui improvements in 9 so I hope you guys can fix it. This gives me some hope. I was about to downgrade to an x99 setup. I’ll hold off for a bit now.

8.5 still running fine. switching between RME USB and UA Thunderbolt with Cubase running no problem.

Sent in PM.

I REALLY hope we solve this thing :frowning:

word

Id45 is on Mac, and he gets a crash with a crashlog. Not BSOD. So it’s definitely something else.

@stadanko, please could you try with older Cubase version?

I did. CUbase 8.5…Did you see my post?

Hi,

I’m very sorry… Yes, I saw it. I realized it, once I a notification of your post. :slight_smile:

I will try to re-open it in Steinberg. :wink:

:sunglasses: cool

Hi,

@stadanko, by any chance, do you use any accelerate DSP card? Like UAD or an old TC electronic? If yes, could you try to remove (disable) it? Could you try to unplug your Audio Device and also your MIDI-/DAW controllers, please?

I’ve done all of that. Many times over. I have 2 UAD2 cards and 2 Apollo units. I have an RME Fireface UFX. I use an add in thunderbolt card for the Apollos. I have an akai mpk249.

I’ve even done a fresh install with nothing but the Fireface USB and no other audio software installed but Cubase and the RME drivers. I’ve even turned off the RME and uninstalled the drivers. Still the same crash.

I’ve been using cubase 8.5 for hours with no issues. Got rid of the cpu spikes with the audioengine file and its running smooth. Not one crash. Ableton seems to be using about 10% less cpu than Cubase with the same simple project setup. Its nice to be tweaking on that for a change. I can change audio drivers on the fly without stopping playback. zooma zoom zoom…I don’t think bad hardware would work this well. I think something is broken in the OS or one of its drivers. Hopefully you can guys can find it and maybe come up with a patch.

A workaround for Cubase that is.

I’m note seeing any chatter about the new X299 chispet hardware anywhere in the audioverse with regards to actual hands on experience. Has Steinberg ventured into testing this stuff?

It’s 100% a driver issue
Please remove all expansions
Enable on board audio
Do a full windows reinstall from USB (NOT RESET!!)
DO NOT install ANYTHING 3rd PTY and complete windows update (no mainboard, chipset, video, usb drivers NOTHING)
Install ONLY Cubase 9 and select the generic ASIO driver
Is the problem gone? Are there any components not identified in the device manager?

I’ll give it a go tomorrow. At first, I was gonna just say FORGET IT!!! LOL Thats 2 weeks of this talking…I just need to step back for a minute.

Will the software run ok without the video and mainboard drivers? Without drivers there will be a huge list of unidentified devices. I’ve seen it.

Yep for sure, windows catalogue is fully up to date.

cool, I’ll get on it tomorrow morning. (in about 8 hours)

Thanks for chiming in.

Hi all,

As expected, Windows did not install the device drivers on its own. I would need to be connected to the internet and which point windows installs all of the drivers through update. It did this on all of my previous builds including with the video driver. It appears seamless for the most part. I have around 105 unkown devices. I have a chipset pack which accounts for about 90% of these drivers and then of course the video driver and lan etc.etc…

So 2 ways to install the chipset drivers that I can see and neither gives control over specific driver installation. I’ll look to see if I can download individual chipset drivers…