Cubase pro 9 crashing within a few minutes of launch

hold on, what’s your chipset? and a 105 unknown devices seems like a lot for a system?
you should complete the windows update and reboot several times up until you are current on 1703
without installing ANY 3rd PTY drivers
anything up to Z277 is natively supported by Windows, this should not happen.
Is your system OC’d? did you reset your BIOS to optimum defaults?

if still not recognized install this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/122941/Intel-X299-Chipset

What installer are u using for windows? you can create the most recent installer by just running the media creation tool
almost every month there is a new version of the installer.

We WILL solve this, it just takes cautious steps in order to make sure we don’t overlook anything, step by step

It is a 1703 installation off of a USB device. This is the X299 chipset. Update will/has installed the drivers on previous installs as I stated. It also installs the nvidia driver through update.

not natively supported by windows yet. I made the mistake of thinking that a few months after release would be enough time.

ok good, so you install 1703, run all the updates and do the reboots and once there is nothing more in windows update for you, you still have several unknown devices?

The I would recommend to install the above intel chipset installer. It will trigger different windows update catalogues and you will get the missing updates incl. the 3.84.x Nvidia driver.

once you have no longer unknown devices in the device manager, I would install C9 and run with internal audio (generic ASIO) and see if that survives longer than 5 mins, it’s just for testing purposes
if this survives, change to RME.

no, to be clear. Windows updates the chipset drivers once I connect to the internet. In my case through wifi, which works automatically without additional driver support. The usb installer does not contain any 3rd drivers from intel or anyone else. Just so we’re on the same page…Thanks again by the way!!! much appreciated :mrgreen:

So, if we decide that I should let the microsoft update server carry on, all of those drivers get installed essentially in one shot. Wouldn’t this put me in the same situation with regards to differentiating the problem driver?

I did this very thing on a previous fresh install… no good.

I’m going to try it again since I’m already here…Now Iv’e already installed Cubase 9 and the realtek audio driver, generic asio driver and no crashing. I also have the mpk249 plugged in. its showing up in the device manager just fine.

yes windows update is the best baseline.
just rerun until there is nothing there left
and then tell me which devices have exclamation marks?

updating…

ok all updates installed.

only devices unkown are my 2 uad2 cards.

no crashing so far…

There you go…
Btw you can dissable the uad’s by just right clicking them in the device manager

Looks like there’s no need…I just went back and launched Cubase 9 on my fully built partition and its working. Its playing in the background as I type this post. can’t piss it off. Changing audio drivers and mashing on keys. Nothing. This is great, but what???

I cannot explain this. maybe an update came through from windows

Nothing in my update history recent enough. super strange. This build has been crashing all sorts and now nothing.

Look at me, I’m on RME firewire no UAD thunderbolt! ud-te-ud-te-te-ud-te :open_mouth:

Oh yeah, now I’ll just watch a bunch you tube videos simultaneously while typing this…iiiiii just don’t know…I’ll take it.

Oh i know, I’ll just startup Live and run that on the the uad thunderbolt driver while ALL OF THE OTHER STUFF IS STILL GOING ON!!! Don’t mind me I forgot to turn on the UAD Apollo. No sweat, just turned it on and audio is blasting!!! Can’t hear myself think… :mrgreen:

I will not understand this clearly…I’ll keep updating on this over the next few days. Thanks for just being there. Seriously, It was getting lonely…

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Now that I think about it, I did disable all of the speed stepping and power saving bios features I could find last night while tweaking on the asio driver. I’ll go back in a bit and turn it all back on to test. That is a big deal and I should have considered that…

Found it! It is the C6/C7 State Support feature in my bios.

System crash is eliminated by simply disabling it. Now you know Steinberg. your welcome…

And thanks again Raphie and Martin. You guys were great.

I’m pretty sure Steinberg already knows. They even suggest to do so here …

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206112724-Optimizing-Windows-for-DAWs

Now YOU know. You’re welcome …

funny, they didn’t think to mention it when I contacted them. in fact they didn’t have much to say.

So go troll someone else pal

I’m not a troll and I’m not your pal. Disabling any type of power saving features is one of the first things to do when setting up a new system for DAW use. I wasn’t trying to be a jerk (it just comes naturally :smiley: ). Actually, I was getting ready to make a thoughtful and courteous reply until I noticed the edit to your post. I hope things continue in a positive fashion for you.

Fair enough, but when your in my shoes and someone shows up to make a comment like that…I could care less about a thoughtful response from you.

When your not part of the conversation but jump in to take a jab. That’s called being a troll…

I think one mildly sarcastic comment towards Steinberg is more than a fair trade at this point :smiley:

I totally understand. I am truly grateful I have never needed to submit an official support ticket. Best of luck to you.