Cues in Drum-Part - not possible?

Is it possible, to cue parts in a drum/percussion-part like e.g.:
cue drums.jpeg
If I try to add a cue the popup doesn’t show any instrument to choose from:
2017-12-16 15.18.52.gif

Have a look at page 8 here

see this thread

Thanks for the replies, but that is not the solution for what I want, I’m afraid:

I think, the method explained at page 8 in the steinberg document enables melodic cues to unpitched instruments that don’t have several lines to indicate pitches.

The method provided in the thread recommended by kt-va deals with introducing a further staff for cues, but I want rhythmic cues to appear above the drum staff just on certain parts, where the drummer is supposed to play fills. This is very common practice, especially in drum parts of bigband scores.

1 Like

I’m afraid those are the only options at the moment

I really hope this is coming in the near future.
Also when doing the opposite, if you want the drums as cue in melodic instruments
I can’t get the whole drum kit, just individual drums.

Jesper

1 Like

That’s correct: you can only cue individual percussion instruments onto a pitched instrument. If you really need to cue a whole drum set onto a pitched instrument, you could cue each unpitched instrument individually and set its staff position and stem direction accordingly. You would need to create one cue for each instrument in the drum set that is playing within the duration of the cue, but it should be possible.

Thank’s Daniel, yes I figured as much, the problem is that it will add lots of rests and will not look the same as the drum part.
No big deal. More important to be able to add melodic instruments to drum parts. Would be really nice for big band to be able to
add brass cues for the drummer. Rhythmic cues that is.

Jesper

1 Like

Yes, we know that is necessary and we will figure out a way of doing it in due course.

1 Like

Thank’s Daniel, other than that the new Cues are working brilliantly.

Jesper

Adding an extra pitched instrument works to add cues but changes all the staves from the last played section to a five line staff. See the example below.

Is there any way to keep the staves up to the melodic cue as one line percussion stave?

Thanks.

1 Like

Probably not, alas, because you would need to be able to put the cue on the single-line staff. You could try adding a text item on the single-line staff just before the position where the cue will begin. If the text item consists of just a space, that should be sufficient to make the single-line staff persist until that point, and otherwise not affect the appearance of the music.

1 Like

FWIW, this is an important feature for me as well. Hope it makes it into one of the next updates.

Another thread on this topic with some possible work arounds

viewtopic.php?f=246&t=140449

Thanks for trying, Daniel. Unfortunately, even with the invisible text, the bass clef stubbornly refuses to disappear and the five line staff fills the entire space between the last played note in the percussion clef and the timpani cue.

I see from another thread (Tutti rhythmic cues above drum part - Dorico - Steinberg Forums) that there is no way to add a rhythmic cue to the percussion clef either. Since I am in the final stages of preparing the work for publication, I may have to cut and paste a graphic to solve the problem instead of using a dynamic cue.

Hi DSale.
Maybe I jump into this thread in a totally wrong way, but in this thread ([solved ]Dorico 2 - Add a mouth percussion / rhythm section - Dorico - Steinberg Forums) I managed to keep a one line perc staff by inputting a whole note, hid it (opacity 0%), input a fake bar-rest (with shift-X and Bravura glyph). Could this workaround work for you to lengthen the untuned percussion zone?

Thanks Marc.

That is a very clever workaround and would be useful in some circumstances as long as you also mute the note so that it won’t affect playback. In my situation, though, I ran into two problems:

1. Because I was in 3/4 time, I had to insert a dotted half note which meant also hiding the stem but the dot could not be hidden.
  2. This now breaks the multi-rest immediately before the cue and I haven’t found any solution. For the player, that break might suggest a new musical idea or section started at that point and I certainly don’t want that.

I will keep experimenting.

Dear David,
Don’t forget you could use (and hide) tuplets ! This way, you still can input a whole note (with a 4:3 based on quarter notes) :wink:

One possible workaround is to use any treble clef instrument, but drum set (e.g. flute) and rename it to Drum set and change the clef. This makes it possible to use Cues.
In the properties you select Start text to get rid of the cue label and Rhythmic cue to place the cue on a line above the staff. You might also need to change the setting in Engraving Options → Cues → Rhythmic Cues → Distance from […] to 0 (zero) to place the notes on the just above the staff.

I don’t know how to get a proper placement of the rests though, more in line with the cue notes.

I really hope this type of drum set notation will be implemented soon.

I’ve just edited one drum set part using the method mentioned in my earlier post. It worked out pretty well, but it is a bit time consuming compared to Sibelius, jumping between write-/engraving mode / properties etc. The result is pretty ok anyway. Looking forward to see what the team will come up with when it comes to this. :slight_smile: