Daft question about C drive recovery

:confused: I have performed a C drive back up with AOMEI backup which went well but I’m rather confused about how I recover it if C drive crashes with the recovery software on it…presumably I would have to download another copy of the software to the new C drive to perform the task :question:

is this correct…seems obvious but I lack confidence with ‘‘puters’’ and am afraid of ruining something…thanks for any help.

Kevin :slight_smile:

Most disaster recovery software has the ability to create a boot disk.

Did the program not give you the option to make a backup recovery CD or thumbdrive ?

I use Acronis and the first thing I did when installing was to make a bootable CD for the program for recovery purposes.

I see Mr.Beer has posted while I was typing this with the same info basically.

No boot disk, just saved it to another drive…never got a ''create boot disk ‘’ option, it’s freeware, maybe I’ll have to buy something…I’ll take another look at it incase there is a boot disk option…
so if there is no boot disk option does that mean it’s a waste of time :question:

thanks for the help…Kevin :slight_smile:

Hi Shadowfax -

I have a healthy portion of computer insecurity too, I asked around a lot, and got the following advice, which I took, and now I sleep much better.

1) Daily back up: SyncBack Free . This is super easy to use … at the end of every day I hit “Backup only the new things on my computer”, I have it routed to one of those portable hard drives, which I have connected via USB to my computer. I can choose whether I want the whole c: drive backed up, or just “All Cubase Files”, or just the project that I am working on that day. Very flexible.

The really nice thing is that it brings the actual files over … cpr files, .doc files, whatever … it doesn’t put them in some obscure/opaque proprietary format first. I used to have a backup system that did that, and I was always uneasy as to whether things were getting backed up accurately. With SyncBack Free, I went and tested whether I could open those backed up files on the portable drive from my computer - and it worked perfectly.

I keep the portable hard drive unplugged from the main computer at all times except when actually backing up, and I sleep easy knowing if my main computer dies, all my work is saved on that portable drive.

2) Cloning backup of computer SSD (has my C and D drives): I bought an identical SSD to the one in my computer (actually I think it was a little bigger, but definitely NOT smaller!) … and using Paragon Free backup made a bit-for-bit clone of the SSD in my computer. So if the worst happens, I pop out the SSD from my computer, pop the other one in, and I’m in business. It will be lacking whatever programs I downloaded since the last clone, but at least I can work right away!

I’m about to upgrade to either 7.5.40, or 8.0.10, and before I do, I’m going to clone my SSD as it is currently configured.

After doing all this, my anxiety about losing my work is much less. Truly, I should do more, such as keep one or two of each type of backup off-site, in case the house blows up or something, and maybe one day I will, but I feel so much better than having it only in some proprietary format that I’d never tested to see if it worked right.

Hope this perspective isn’t too unhelpful, if you have any questions, please post back!

Ok, take a deep breath. Mr. Beer (BEER GOOD!!!) gave you all the advice you need, and the link you need. That link, when talking about restoring your system, even says:

Before carrying out the operations, we need to make a bootable CD first.

You don’t make a boot disc when backing up your system; that is a separate operation altogether.

So, here’s what you do:

1. Make a bootable CD (use another computer; go to the library if you have to)
  2. Boot from the CD, following the instructions on the page that Mr. Beer (BEER GOOD!!!) pointed you to.

All done.

Cheers.

I thank you all for the info, gotta take some time and look into it all…scary stuff for me…thanks again…Kevin :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yeah…I missed that somehow…told you I’m an idiot when it comes to ‘‘puters’’…thanks for pointing it out… :slight_smile:

Lot of good stuff here, thanks for taking the time…this could be the way to go…like the cloning thing :exclamation:
just pop in a new ready made drive, sounds good :slight_smile:

Kevin

I’ve followed procedure to make a bootable cd…all went ok but at the end they say

‘‘Then, you can reboot your computer, and set the CD-ROM as the first boot device in BIOS settings. You can then access the operating system in the Windows PE disc, and realize backup and restore by AOMEI Backupper.’’

I thought the bootable disc was for when C drive has crashed, then I would use the disc…never been into the BIOS area and did not know I would have to set it as the first boot device…

totally lost now… :frowning:

Kevin

Nothing scary about entering the BIOS, just hit Delete ( or whatever your 'puter uses ) when booting the computer.

Then go to the Boot Menu, and set the Boot order.

You can set it to default to C: and CD as next, so if you lost the OS for some reason, it will look for a CD instead when it cant boot the OS from the HD.

Or you can just enter the BIOS when needed and change the boot order to CD first, save and reboot and it will look for the CD instead.

Really appreciate your help Paul…thank you.

Kevin

Had a look and it seems to be already set up to look for a cd… :slight_smile:

:sunglasses:

Now you have everything set for a disaster, nothing will happen ! :laughing:

I think a key thing to consider, as mentioned in a detailed post above, is not to so much backup your boot drive (C:) but rather CLONE it. Then there’s no need for a boot CD/Flash Drive with recovery software. All you do is simply swap in the cloned replica of C: and you’re back in business! I have both a hot-swap bay and an external USB3 device for mounting additional drives.

lets hope so :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah, I took note of what alexis said and next week when I get backhome I intend to buy another drive and clone it from my C drive…
I would appreciate it if you could explain in ‘‘idiot terms’’ the hot swap bay and the usb3 device for mounting additional drives…how does that work :question: and remember…I made my first recky into the BIOS yesterday and it scared the poo poo out of me… :laughing:

Kevin :slight_smile:

:sunglasses:

The key ingredient here is beer. :sunglasses:

(for after making the boot disc and cloned drive)

IMHO this is one area in which it is wise to purchase an industry standard software package for cloning (like Paul & Ian said), don’t rely on freeware if you’re not sure. ( but if you are in the poorhouse, research “Clonezilla”, its been around for ages and works well).

+1 for an exact, bit-for-bit, bootable clone.

+1 for those drives being accessible from removable trays in a spare 5.25" bay (I use the Icy Dock 6 tray) so you don’t even have to open the computer.

More time for drinking beer.

I use Paragon Drive Copy 14 Professional, but there are many other good cloning apps. It’s the “Copy Hard Drive” button. And “raw sectors” option.

A 120GB SSD clone takes about 10 minutes.

Also, I’ve found it a sensible practice, though not required, to clone to a drive of the same size, make and model. Just to enhance how perfect the clone is. For example, if a plugin wants to use the brand name of my drive as part of its “authentication system.”

Also, I’ll point out that while Windows 8 has no problem with being cloned, it will detect it’s different and will ask you to re-activate (the clone, if you have to fall back on it and actually use it) via an automated 24/7 phone system. I’ve never had an issue with the process.

But, if you want to avoid any phone-home, Win 7 clones won’t even bother you with a re-activation. It’s very nice.

Thank you jalcide…I’m of to buy an Icy dock 6 tray…Kevin