Dealing with track delays using multiple libraries

I just got Dorico. I want to use multiple libraries like Cinematic Studio Series strings and Cinesamples Pro Brass in a composition. These libraries have different track delays (i.e. Cinematic Studio Strings is -60 ms for short articulations). How do I deal with using mutiple libraries with different track delays? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum, Gary. At the moment there’s no way to specify track delays in expression maps, but this is definitely something we are planning to implement in future versions.

For the time being, you can adjust note onsets in the Key Editor by switching to the played durations view (so that changes you make won’t affect the printed notation), then dragging them to the desired start position (you can also assign key commands to adjusting the note onset if this is something you will find yourself doing a lot).

1 Like

I have created an expression map, custom playing techniques and a set of custom lua -scripts for cinematic studio strings:

Installing the key commands for these custom lua scripts requires editing Dorico’s keycommands_en -file, so with that you have to be very careful to save a back up of it.

These scripts make it possible to set correct offsets for the different legato transitions in CSS or CSSS.

For example, to set the velocities and offsets for a slow legato transition in tempo of 60 BPM, you’d:

1. select the notes to be edited

2. type [shift+S, S, 6]

There ”S” means ”slow legato” and ”6” means ”60 BPM”

It is not yet possible to set the offsets in milliseconds, so I created these scripts to get around that (until offsets in milliseconds are implemented.)

If this sounds complicated, it is probably best to start editing offsets the way Daniel described above!

Thank you Daniel for your reply. I am a long time Cubase user and am used to moving notes around to adjust for latency. Now I use the logical editor with macros.

It looks like Dorico is turning into a Cubase-like tool for editing midi with a beautiful note editor. I know you probably can’t say much, but It looks like we are close to doing professional production quality music in Dorico without using Cubase. Your thoughts? Thanks again!

Certainly our goal is that you should be able to produce a virtual performance within Dorico without needing to use Cubase. There’s plenty more for us to do, but we hope that Dorico 4.3 is a good step in that direction.

Thank you Daniel. I love the direction that you are taking Dorico. There certainly is an audience for people who think in terms of notation but want the “low level” editing power of a DAW. As a Cubase user of 25 years, I am certainly conversant with the piano roll, however, because of my music training, I always think in terms of notation first. I think you have a winner here!