Dorico Expression map for Cinematic Studio Strings

Hello,

Since Dorico 4 introduced more convenient tools for working with playback, I decided to try again working with Cinematic Studio Strings (combined with noteperformer). I created a new expression map that uses mostly custom playing techniques to control CSS. My philosophy is to separate notation and playback control to their own layers, since getting the best result from CSS will always include some manual work (and manual selection of patches). Cinematic studio strings is controlled with custom playing techniques that can be hidden in the score - that way it is (in theory) possible to reach a kind of daw-like control while the notation will stay clean for the players.

In the template file I created, up-stem voice 1 is assigned to note performer and up-stem voice 2 to Cinematic Studio Strings. That way I’m hoping to keep the fast noteperformer workflow, but have the possibility for more expressive playback if it’s needed.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for this…
I can’t make Con sord work though…Maybe I still don’t understand what “add-ons” are in the Expression map.
I would

appreciate it if you could clarify or help me in this matter.

Ok, I saw this text from you:

“Dorico’s native playing techniques had to be added as add-ons without control since otherwise the notation
could prevent custom add-ons from working at the same um with custom base switches”

So do I have to make a template and add Dorico natives playback as default? and Kontakt(Cinematic Studio Strings) next?

after I changed it to the mute problem was solved.

Hi,
a Cinematic Studio Strings 2022 VEPro template from this archive opens as Additive Drums template…

me too