Dedicated keyboard for macros?

Hi guys, I could use your help on this one^^
I posted this on cubase 9 forum which is what I’m using but I guess it’s works the same in cubase 10

I recently discovered the power of macros, I haven’t made any yet, I’m still learning the essential key commands.
But I have 2 questions.

1. It’s more of a “will I be able to do it?” question…
    I want to be able to:
  • Select multiple tracks.

• Type Macro X:

• Send all tracks selected to a new fx channel.

• Add a specific reverb plug-in.

• Automaticlly call it reverb 1/2/3/4 and so on (i’ll change the name manually later).

• Load a specific preset.

• Can I do that with the range tool too?
    I mean - (bounce/render??) all that is selected by the range tool to a new stereo audio track,
    Automaticlly name it, and load a preset.

*I want to be able to make a macro that adds a new mono track, assign it to a specific input, automaticlly call it the name of the input, record and monitor should be toggled on. is it possible?

2. The amount of ideas are eventually, limitless, for all I know… I need to memorize 100ish key commands full of shift and alt and what not.

Can I plug an old usb keyboard and map it so every key would trigger a macro?
For example - the second I push ‘E’ on my second keyboard, what actually be happening is ctrl+alt+d
Which is macro x in cubase

And of course, I need my midi keyboard(lx88+) and my main keyboard to stay untouched.

Thanks!

indeed.

1. It’s more of a “will I be able to do it?” question…
    I want to be able to:
  • Select multiple tracks.
  • Type Macro X:
  • Send all tracks selected to a new fx channel.
  • Add a specific reverb plug-in.
  • Automaticlly call it reverb 1/2/3/4 and so on (i’ll change the name manually later).
  • Load a specific preset.

Look at it this way- if you can do it manually with commands listed in the Key Commands dialog you can do it. If the function you want to use isn’t in there, then you cannot. End of story, as in Cubase Key Command Macros is just a simple way of sending these commands one after the other without pauses, or any other fancy stuff like boolean variables, etc.

1. The amount of ideas are eventually, limitless, for all I know… I need to memorize 100ish key commands full of shift and alt and what not.

Can I plug an old usb keyboard and map it so every key would trigger a macro?
For example - the second I push ‘E’ on my second keyboard, what actually be happening is ctrl+alt+d
Which is macro x in cubase

Cubase does not distinguish between alpha keyboards, so no, unless that keyboard itself can be programmed- like the X-Keys keyboards.

Note that many of the assigned keystrokes appear in the corresponding menus, and if you open the key commands dialog immediately after invoking some command via a menu, that command will be selected in the KC dialog when you open it.

The main thing is to set your expectations correctly (like by posting this question! :slight_smile: )

Yea I was aware of the ‘two-week-marathone’ of finding the right commands
and then printing stickers of what the macros are doing to paste on each command on the second keyboard​:joy::man_facepalming:t2:

I know…windows cant tell the diffrence between which keyboard am I pressing…
Maybe there are other ways? My old smaller midi keyboard(24 keys and 4 pads)?
Maybe xbox-style joystick?..

Maybe I wasn’t clear…
Is it that hard to connect a piece of plastic with buttons to a computer,
‘empty’ that device’s buttons functions and map it in a way that each button you press, is actually pressing few things?
(Like alt+shift+f12 for example, I’m sure there’s nothing on there🤣)

What I want to do is to make a macro in cubase. then set a shurtcut to that macro (what ever is available), then make 1 button from my second keyboard as that shurtcut, without changing any other device(not the main keyboard, not the 88 midi keyboard, nor anything else)

The midi keyboard would work best for this, using the Generic Remote. Once you have hooked it up and seen how it works, post with whatever question you have.

Note that the Generic Remote must be exported after you make modifications in order for those changes to be present over a quit-restart of Cubase.

If you happen to own an iPad (not available on Android) you might want to take a look at Metagrid. It lets you create as many buttons as you like, which can be assigned to Key Commands, Macros, Logical Editor presets, etc. Initial learning curve might be a bit steep if you are just getting your bearings on using macros, but very powerful.

Steve thank you so much! I’ll check the generic remote

Raino - yea before the idea of a midi keyboard/ keyboard
I thought of making an android app that will transmit the signal via wifi. But it sounds too easy, as if there’s already something like this out there…

I see that it’s a well known problem.

I’ll only need to export the setting right?
I dont need to import it each time, even without “save as template” for example?

Just export the setting and it will re-calibrate for every project that i’ll open?

Anyways, thanks for everything,
keep up the good work!

You could think about using a gaming keyboard with extra macro keys which are fully programable and dedicated lightning. That’s how I use it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQ5RGOY

if only I had the money to spend^^
If I understood correctly, I can connect my second midi keyboard and assign everything manually?(not only notes but the transpose buttons as well?)

About the macro itself.
I cant find a command that suits my needs…

I want to press a button to:

1. Add a new mono audio track
  2. Assign the track with a specific input(i’ll make 8 dedicated macros for each track)
  3. Name the track by the name of the input.

I cant find a proper command to help me with that…
Is there any thing like this?
Or mabye I need to work around it?(like…tab ,tab , arrow down, tab enter. as a sequence of key commands inside the 2 step)

Well first of all, thank you for all the information!
ASCII based KB then are what I’m looking for, but for now I’ll use my old midi KB.

I’m going to dig into ASCII KBs when I’ll have the chance.
But firstly… I have to ask,
I’ll have to buy a keyboard that has a dedicated app?

There’s has to be an open source driver, fit-to-all-usb-KB-solution (like asio4all for instance)
That can detect a singular KB out of many, and assign it how ever I’d like it to be. :nerd:

Go check out Soundflow. It enables you to track mouse movements, clicks and other selection methods for deeper control. It also enables Macros to be set up outside of Cubase’s limited set of Key Commands,

That looked interesting, but upon checking it out, It’s Mac only, and pretty expensive, a 60 USD per year subscription at the lowest tier.

You might want to watch this video:

Lot’s of different links in the show notes.

I’ve been using Metagrid for about a year and there are some commands (start/stop playback, toggle cycle, go to Left locator, etc.) that are so ingrained in muscle memory that I almost always reach for the physical Keyboard for them even though there is a perfectly good Metagrid button closer. Also at first I had to force myself to use it because there is a kind of barrier to adoption - for any single task it was always easier to use known Key Commands rather than taking a moment to locate the Metagrid button for the task. Eventually it is quicker with Metagrid, but there is an initial hit.

Personally I am happy using a generic remote.
I have metagrid but don’t use it, I find it clunky to work with.
The video link I posted was mostly for the links in the show notes of the video.
Some other possibilities are Steinberg’s own remote app. And the free Bomes midi translator classic.
https://www.bome.com/products/mtclassic