Difference between Group-track and FX-track?

I am a bit confused if there EVEN IS a difference between an FX track and a group track since BOTH can be send to using the OUTPUT or the SEND signal-path

I am currently constructing my new orchestral template and need to split my Instrument to 2 separate tracks (one for close setup, one for room setup).
So I use my instr.track OUTPUT for close, and a SEND for my room tracks.

From a functional basis they are pretty much the same. The difference is more in the intended use. The advantage of having 2 different Track types is it lets you do something like hiding all the FX Tracks but not the Groups. The difference is more for organizational rather than functional purposes.

FYI if you are using Cubase Pro you can use Direct Routing to send a signal to 2 (or more) different Group Tracks - so you could use Groups for both your close & room tracks.

1 Like

Hi,

This comes from Cubase past. In the past, via Sends you could route to the FX Channels only and via the Outputs you could route to the Group Channels only. So it was meant for different use cases, as @raino described.

Later on, this changed and you can use both of them the very same way now. I can’t come to any difference nowadays.

1 Like

Direct Routing - OK, I’ll check it out.
For now I send one signal from my VSTi through the “output” and the second through a “send”.
I’ll see if direct routing makes it easier.

You need to enable “Summing Mode” on the Track to have multiple destinations. Right+Click on the Direct Header to enable it

1 Like

ahh never stumbled over SUMMING MODE until you pointed it out.
Quiet interesting - thanks a lot

RE FX vs. Groups;
This has been a common source of confusion ever since Cubase SX was introduced 20 years ago. I’ve posted many times about this.

The short answer; the only difference is the default color.

I’ve always maintained that we should have effect “returns” like a traditional mixing desk. The main difference being that an effect would be hard-wired to the top of the return, not inserted into a buss.
And, of course we’d need an effects “rack” to neatly host all of our effects plug-ins where you could quickly go and make adjustments with intuitive ease. We actually had an effects rack in Cubase VST days.

Until Cubase SX I had never heard the term “effects track”. And at the time I think you had to first create an effects “track” and then go back and insert an effect yourself. It’s since been refined so the effect is chosen, inserted and labeled when you create the track. I’ve long since submitted to the design.

Please excuse the rant. I continue to carry this flag and wave it whenever I get the chance.

As raino points out, Summing Mode should solve the other part of your question.