Direct Offline Processing For WaveLab

I saw a new video about improvements in Nuendo for Direct Offline Processing which I see is Steinberg’s version of Pro Tools Audio Suite style processing.

Do you think this could be added to WaveLab sometime? I think it would be very useful to do this right in the montage without moving over to the Audio File editor, and with some additional playlist additions (or take lanes), it could be a really powerful improvement to the montage.

It’s not exactly the same thing, and it’s less practical, but you can achieve more or less the same thing with WaveLab super-clips.
This being said, this Nuendo workflow is interesting and could maybe be added.

This would be nice to have.

I think a nice solution in between Direct Offline and render processing in WL would be to select a montage clip and then with a simple right click or button somewhere have clip effects applied to that clip - and then have it taken out of further processing.

I really do need to get to know super-clips better … I’m sure there is so much more power in WL than I am even aware of.

This looks like a very cool feature… would be awesome to see this in both Wavelab and in Cubase… I wonder if/how it works with external effects? I’m going to ask about it in the Nuendo forum…

I think a nice solution in between Direct Offline and render processing in WL would be to select a montage clip and then with a simple right click or button somewhere have clip effects applied to that clip - and then have it taken out of further processing.

This is what creating a super clip does.

Which reminds me of my question to Super Clips with Mono-Tracks. Could you reproduce ? Because to use an effect on several Clips is the purpose and desire for me to use them.

Yeah, come to think of it, it is. The way I use superclips is more complex, where I have a montage (for radio work) with a complete - say reporting - job, that is then placed in the main radio program montage. Guess I should try using this simpler way more…

But how do you render it out? Even with superclips? For example… I have a song on one track in a montage. I have an extra short little clip with track fx (reverb) on another track that only comes in at the VERY VERY end of the song and creates a reverb fadeout for the song. It would be awesome to be able to render the clip that has the track reverb on it with a single click… or maybe select a huge range to leave room for the reverb to fadeout, render the range, and have that clip replace the non-rendered clip. Then I can apply custom fades to that clip once the verb is rendered on it to control the reverb and the way the song decays.

How can I do this using superclips? I’m confused…

Thanks,
Todd

Ideally the clip would stretch to contain the reverb when you make the Super Clip, but it doesn’t work that way now.

I don’t have Cubase so I wonder how this is really different from AudioSuite in Pro Tools?

Superclips can be nice sometime for broader processing but more often, I want to do Direct Offline Processing with a plugin that never gets inserted in the playback chain in the first place. Sometimes these are high CPU plugins like a reverb or RX module.

In the past I’ve experimented with sectioning off part of a clip that needs special processing and adding the plugins but to be honest, I’ve had issues with not smooth playback in the transition section, and I’ve even had rendering problems where the crossfade is. One time a section needed a little reverb for some reason but when I rendered the montage to a new file, there was a dropout at the crossfaded section so I had to do it in Pro Tools and then bring the new file back to the Wavelab montage.

Sometimes we also want to process sections so small and frequent that adding a plugin for every case is not practical.

Because of all this, Direct Offline Processing would be a major improvement. I would like to see it in both the montage directly and also for audio files.

In the montage, some kind of easier playlist management would be nice for going back to the original state, or trying alternate ideas if needed.

In the audio file, some kind of way to select an area and “revert to original state” would be welcomed. Sometimes you do a lot of work on a file but then you realize that early on you did something you don’t like. It would be great to keep all your other work but restore and redo an earlier section.

“Bounce in place” would be great - to be able to either select a clip, or select a “range” (with range, we could easily compensate for reverb tails manually).

“Bounce in place” would be great

Already possible with the Render options “Selected clips” + “Replace Clips with Rendered Audio Files” (see Options menu).

Ideally the clip would stretch to contain the reverb when you make the Super Clip, but it doesn’t work that way now.

Hope to add this for 9.5.20

Super Clips with Mono-Tracks.

This will be fixed for 9.5.15 or 9.5.20

Philippe

Cool! Thanks PG!

Agree with Justin, shouldn’t the plugin go away after you’re done with it if it’s to be like audiosuite? As it is you have to remove the plugin from the clip or track or ms after you use it to make the SuperClip. That’s extra work and slows down the whole process. Shouldn’t be any obvious load or unload?
Should just sort of be there in the Process menu, but include all plugins?, and operable on clips in the montage, not just audio files?

As it is you have to remove the plugin from the clip or track or ms after you use it to make the SuperClip

No, clip plugins are automatically removed when you create a superclip!

Yeah. I haven’t tried DOP but the beauty of AudioSuite is that it’s just a floating window that can be anywhere on the screen and you don’t have to spend time inserting it, worrying if it’s bypassed, etc.

You just highlight a section small or big and process it and move on. Superclips have their use but not for quick repetitive work.

With AudioSuite you can also have more than one plugin open which is also a nice thing, not sure if DOP does that.

Thanks PG, that’s great. I haven’t made a superclip in so long before yesterday, I had forgotten. Also noticed the “include track fx” checkbox in the superclip dialog.

Yes, sorry, I agree. Superclips are nice and functional, but not for quick everyday work for me. I’m not even sure why, but it’s like there’s a tiny extra step that’s slowing and offputting. Probably why I haven’t used them for a long time.