Disabling Instrument Tracks "Missing Input 1"

Hi Martin. I’m on windows. It’s not any particular / specific ports. I’ve tried it with various ones including “all midi inputs” Whatever is selected in the inputs box is no longer connected when I re-enable the instrument but, as I say, not all the time.

Thats actually because the source VST was disabled which means “Its temporary gone from the project” due to that, all linked Midi tracks will lose the connection with it, when you close and reopen the project, this is the first thing Cubase will ask you for, “who are those Midi tracks belong to?”.

I hope there is a dynamic re-route step that happens immediately after we enable a disabled track, because as you said, keeping all VST’s disabled in the template can load the project in few seconds, very handy.

Actually it doesn’t work like that . Many tracks keep their assignment, irrespective of opening and closing the project and whether they are enabled or disabled. It’s only some that can’t find their midi input…

Seems to be happen on projects that were created in an earlier version of Cubase.

Well thats a good news that it shouldn’t be like that initially, Im sure they will fix it soon, well for me I started a project in Cubase Pro 9.0.0 and in the middle of the project I updated to 9.0.3 … I got the chance to have this problem only after the update, so pretty much sure it is as you said, if the project is created at a current version, lets hope it doesn’t happen again.

That’s interesting didn’t realise it was happening within point releases.

Hello,

Just following up to see if anybody was still having this issue or, better yet, has found a solution for it. I’m running into this exact problem of disabled VEP tracks either displaying a “Missing Input” message or being routed to the wrong VEP frame. Running Cubase 10.1.15 on OS High Sierra. Connecting to slave PC running VEP 7 on Windows 10. Thanks!

Hi There,
I’ve just started setting up a brand new template with a brand new install of Cubase 11.0.1 on a new Mac Pro (Rack, 2019).

I am absolutely still experiencing this. I have the latest VE Pro installed, and if I disable the track in Cubase, then re-enable it, the subsequent midi tracks are all left in the “missing” state. This occurs with VEP instances connected both to a local server and to a PC slave. For clarification here’s how I reproduce:

1. Create VE Pro VST Track. (called “[VEP] Perc”).
  2. Create a Midi track and assign it to “09. [VEP] Perc - MIDI In 1” channel 1
  3. Disable the VE Pro VST Track
  4. Enable the VE Pro VST Track
  5. The associated Midi track now reads “missing input: 09. [VEP] Perc - MIDI In 1”, even though that exact midi input shows in the list.

My system specs are:
Mac Pro (Rack, 2019) 3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
96GB 2933MHz DDR4
OSX 10.15.7
VE Pro 7.0.1056, Cubase Pro 11.0.10 Build 321

This has been an issue since Cubase 8 apparently. I would hope that Steinberg would have a solution 7 YEARS later.

Is there any update on this?

I’m running into this same issue @ari_w and I’m not even using VE Pro. I have midi tracks with output routing going to instrument/VSTt tracks within the same project.

If I disable the VSTs, the midi tracks lose their routing, and if I re-enable them, the midi tracks don’t revert back to the correct routing, they just keep their missing routing.

If I disable both the VST and the midi tracks together, the issue still happens.

Hello, Sorry to bump this old topic, but I have this exact same problem on Cubase 12; not using VE PRO

Disabling any kontakt multi timbral will result in all MIDI tracks connected to that kontakt to loose the midi input routing

I can’t reproduce this using Cubase Pro 12.0.30.

MIDI tracks routed to both Kontakt 5 VST2 and Kontakt 6 VST3 retain their routing when the main Kontakt Instrument Track is disabled, then re-enabled. They also still function correctly if I close Cubase and reload the project before re-enabling the Instrument Tracks.

it’s weird, it’s working on a blank new project, but not with my template, any idea ?

Template was started yesterday, same cubase version (pro 12.0.30), same kontakt, same everything

Yeah. THis is an old problem that has been fixed. The only reason I know of why it still happens for people is because they haven’t rebuilt a new template and they have used their old template ac ross different versions of Cubase. I can assure you it does not work in my template now. The rebuild is a pain but once you do it, you will be laughing!

Yea I see, that’s just strange, I started the template yesterday, I litterally didn’t change anything, maybe some preferences inside cubase + loading/deleting vst while creating the template may have upset the order or something ?

I do not believe it has been fixed with C 12.0.3

When you create a Kontakt instrument track (doesn’t matter the Kontakt version and I would think VEPro is the same) and assign midi tracks to it, then disable, then enable it you get correct behavior.

But the issue is creating any subsequent Kontak Instrument tracks. Here is the Repro:

1. Create a Instrument Track and add for example… Kontakt.
  2. Add 3 midi tracks for Kontakt.
  3. Disable Kontakt, then enable Kontakt.

At this point, everything works as intended.

But the problem is all subsequent Kontakt Track Instruments you create, and add the midi tracks, once you disable then enable it, the midi tracks will show “missing…”

Steinberg knows about this. I’ll gladly send a .gif to anyone interested demonstrating the above.

For a very short while about 2 years ago, this issue was fixed. But it returned within a few maintenance fixes. Please refer to the repro above, and start with a blank project.

I can confirm that the MIDI outputs are lost by following your reproduction steps. The same occurred when I tried following them with Halion Sonic 3.

1 Like

What do you mean all subsequent Kontakt Track Instruments you create ?

Here I just have this bug again, I restarted my template yesterday, been building it the whole day, without any issue, tonight before sleep I wanted to do write 4 bars of music, everything go missing like crazy

Start with a project page with no tracks.

The first Kontakt Track Instrument you create, then assign for example 3 midi tracks, then disable then enable…and those midi track assignments are remembered. Correct behavior.

But then on your project page, create an additional Kontakt Track Instrument (or several Kontakt Track Instrument tracks) and assign 3 midi tracks then disable then enable. You will discover those midi tracks are “missing.” Hope that helps.

1 Like

I do know of another bug with disabling tracks. I wonder if it is related? Probably not, but you guys should be alert to it. I find that the state of the mute button is not reflected accurately always on re-opening tracks. Thus when a track is re-enabled it can be muted when the mute button is grey. This has only happened to me once in C12.
Z

Yes that’s a different issue. This is regarding midi assignments getting lost.
Really just once? It’s every time for me.