Distribution on DVD's only ?

Hi, I don’t have a DVD player in my macbook pro, and surly many with iMacs to… so will it be possible to download the whole stuff as a file ?

I also have this suggestion, too. Some people who already own Halion Symphonic Orchestra may only want to download a barebone installer for the Dorico application only. I guess Daniel already had considered about this.

@helgetjelta

Please see:

Re: Installation Question

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:12 pm
Good answer, Romantique Tp!

Dorico will ship on two DVD-ROMs, but if you don’t have a DVD-ROM drive in your computer, you will be able to download the complete package from your MySteinberg account and install it from there. The total download size will be somewhere between 9GB and 12GB.

Thanks Bob

@ShikiSuen
Please see:

Re: Pricing for previous customers

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:59 am
Confirmation from our installers team that the Dorico installer will not install HSSE2 and HSO’s content again in a new location if it is already installed: instead, it will only install that content if the versions included with Dorico are newer than the versions already installed on your hard disk.

Thanks Bob

I actually prefer a standalone barebone installer of the file to reduce download. My monthly data limits of my broadband service are charged.

If the Dorico installer is smart enough to figure out it doesn’t need to install the sample libraries again, why are you worried about it downloading them again for no reason?

Even Microsoft does better than that, installing big apps :wink: The “installer” can be a tiny program that figures out what needs to be downloaded, and downloads the “real” app when you run it.

The concern is not totally unwarranted. The download version of Dorico will use our Steinberg Download Assistant, which helps to manage large downloads, but I believe it will basically download the whole installer in one go, so it won’t be possible to download only the Dorico installer without also downloading the sounds. I will confirm this at some point today.

If you can’t afford a 9GB download but you can afford to buy Dorico, I recommend you buy the boxed version.