Dorico 3 Export Audio... Disappearing act?

I have just upgraded to 3 today and it is, not to be too ahead of the curve, absolutely amazing in almost every way. The new choral libraries and the automation for multivoice entry are lovely. I have a rather odd problem, though. I still have quite a lot of MusicXML files that I am in the process of importing and reformatting after switching from… my previous notation software about a year ago. Anyway, upgrading files from Dorico 2 seems to cause no problem when exporting for audio but on a file taken from MusicXML and saved as a Dorico 3 file, the sounds play perfectly but there is no export audio menu. I have restarted the computer and Dorico several times, run the maintenance on the eLicenser and it works fine for files created within Dorico natively but I can’t figure out what’s going on and I’d love a hand if anyone has any ideas. I have attached a screenshot of what this looks like. It’s a very simple SSAA arrangement, nothing out of the ordinary about the instrumentation or settings or anything in this.

Thanks!

Avi

As far as I’m aware the only people who have reported this are those that are using the beta version of Catalina. Dorico 3 is not yet ready for Catalina.

Yes, indeed, I am running it on Catalina. It seems to come and go, the audio export menu. I am aware it’s beta software but I’m a developer and I need to be running it for my day job. I suppose I could install Dorico on another installation but it is an awful lot of extra work since it’s the only software I really use other than Xcode on a regular basis. Is there any way to work around this particular issue? I know there are a few other things that aren’t working yet but I am far less concerned with those than the ability to export. I suspect it’s not so much a problem with the software and more an issue with running on a beta OS but if anyone’s come up with a temporary solution, I’d love to hear it.

The only known way to work around this issue is to move your license to a USB-eLicenser, as, to the best of our knowledge, this problem only affects the Soft-eLicenser. We are still on the tail of this problem and do not yet know its cause. Depending on when Catalina is actually released, it is quite probable that Dorico 3 will still not be officially supported on Catalina when it is released, because of this issue.

And, by the way, the trip from Soft-eLicenser to USB-eLicenser is one way: you can’t later move your license back to the Soft-eLicenser. So bear that in mind before you make your decision.

There is another workaround for this issue.

You can use AUNetSend and AUNetReceive to bypass the VST audio engine. This requires an Audio Unit host in Dorico (eg., Vienna Ensemble Pro). But this does work. You insert AUNetReceive in an external recoding host like Hosting AU or Logic or Garage Band.

There is also a VST3NetSend (which has not yet been updated to Catalina) that can be used to send audio to another recording program directly from a Dorico insert. This mimics the functions of AUNetSend. It works in Mojave as is and the source code is on GitHub (GitHub - vgorloff/VST3NetSend: VST3 version of system-supplied Mac OS X AUNetSend audio plugin.) if you’re a developer and want to tackle that problem.

Sorry guys, but I am experiencing the same no export audio menu issue on the latest update to Mojave. I just installed Dorico 3 (first time Dorico user) and I think its clean - though I’ve got Sibelius and Pro Tools in case that messes with anything. Thinking… I don’t have the generic ASIO driver installed that I know of … its using my Pro tools aggregate audio.

Dorico isn’t supported on Mojave. There are missing menu entries for some importers and exporters. This is a known issue that we are investigating. Along with most other audio software companies, we are recommending that users don’t upgrade to Mojave yet.

EDIT: I meant Catalina - see my post below.

Are you getting confused with Catalina, Paul? Mojave should be fine…

Oh, sorry, yes, you’re quite right. This isn’t a known issue on Mojave, but the symptoms described are exactly what we’ve seen on Catalina.

Yah, I was just bringing forward that this unfortunately was not just a “beta version of Catalina” issue, but that I see it on Mojave 10.14.6. I though I would mention something else which may not be related, but I’ve done my own years of C++ programming trying to recreate a bug and looking for what may be different:

I was also having the “VST3 blacklisting issue” and so I used the workaround Ulf mentioned.

And now some serious praise! I greatly appreciate the extra effort to provide work arounds, though my first work around (for now) was to patch a pair of outputs on my hardware interface to a pair of analog inputs and read THOSE in a DAW. Not optimal, but as long as I’m not having to export a bunch of tracks and mix in the DAW… its not the worst extra cost of time. Will probably try the streaming plugin too…

I’m not yet running Mojave 10.14.6, and I don’t see this problem, but I guess it’s possible that whatever issue is causing the problem on beta versions of Catalina has now come to Mojave. I’ll try updating later tonight to see if I find the same on my own Mac.

Daniel - I’m running 10.14.6 but have not yet upgraded, so am very interested in the results of your test.

I’ve updated my MacBook Pro to macOS 10.14.6 and I’m not seeing the problem reported by gdball, which I’m relieved about. A single swallow doesn’t make a summer, of course.

I’ve updated my MacBook Pro, too - it’s been pestering me about 10.14.6 for a few days - and my Export options still appear where I expect them to be.

I wonder whether “giving full disk access privileges to synsopos” through macOS system preferences helps.
(Just a small idea.)

Avisato, please give us the exact details of your Mac machine (except the machine serial number, UUID, MSB, etc.) so we can see whether this issue is video-driver related.

I use Dorico Pro 3 (initial public build) on both my macs (one MacBook Pro mid-2017, one Mac Pro late-2013) with macOS Mojave 10.14.6 the 2nd supplemental update. I found some UI glitches (like no audio fx inserts shown in the mixer) with Dorico Pro 3 on my Mac Pro but not on my laptop. Considering the introduction of Metal / or Metal 2 into macOS, I made this assumption.

As I addressed before (in other places than this forum), downgrading to High Sierra is a considerable option.

I fired it up this morning and audio export is there and working… I made no Mac Pro changes or updates. It was restarted, but I’ve been doing that a lot the last couple of days with no effect. I’m shooting in the dark, but here are the only things from yesterday that are memorable:

A) I resolved a persistent Play6 locking up problem by invoking “Load Sounds for unassigned instruments”.
B) I didn’t run Pro Tools or Sibelius today.

I am a long term Finale user, But I have recently purchased, downloaded and installed Dorico 3 Pro (vers 3.0.0.1038 Sep 3 2019) on my iMac which runs Mojave 10.14.6. The File>Export menu option only provides Flows, MIDI and Tempo Track options. There are no options for XML or audio export, which for me are essential if I am to continue using Dorico. I have checked several times after restart to see if these options ‘reappear’ but they do not. As far as I am aware, they have never been available from when I first installed Dorico a few days ago. I am running the Soft e-licenser. I note that Daniel found that his update to Mojave did not reveal this problem, But I wonder if any other other Mac OSX Mojave users have similar problems to me.

Hello people! I have a similar problem. The export or audio function disappeared from Dorico 3 Pro, in any file I open looks like this, files that were created in Dorico 2 and that were created in 3, I’m using Mojave 10.14.4, I just formatted it from my Mac, I did A new installation, I installed Dorico and problem continues, and I need to export some audios of some arrangements urgently. Please help me.