Dorico 4 and fermata playback

Dorico folks,

Did we get fermata playback controls, like Sib has, in this update? It looks like not. Otherwise excited.

Mike

No, fermatas don’t play back at present.

How then do you simulate fermata length. In 3.5 I use tempo lane to draw change but in version 4 I do not see way to draw in lane. I have to use tempo popover to slow tempo then make tempo correction on next note. Not good way.

I agree, E_C. It shouldn’t be a hard bit of programming. I really hope it gets added soon. It’s one of the things that keeps me from fully embracing Dorico, to be honest.

When Dorico folks add this, I hope they also allow for the function of a gap afterwards whose length can be controlled, as Sibelius does.

– Mike

1 Like

Every time somebody says, “it shouldn’t be a hard bit of programming”, a software developer somewhere dies. Don’t kill software developers!

We know this is a needed feature and it is a high priority for future versions, but I can’t say for sure when it will be done.

16 Likes

Indeed. And Paul Walmsley has explained quite thoroughly why this is not an easy task.

1 Like

One of the best replies I have ever heard. That made my day and encourages me to stop whining so much.

1 Like

geat reply! Looking forward to the feature when it arrives!

While I can understand it may not be easy to programming fermatas in Dorico, it is still a basic function for music editor software. Even more so if Dorico is in principle better for playback than its competitors. Not having fermatas played is a big issue.

3 Likes

No doubt Dorico will get there and enable fermata playback in a more sophisticated manner than earlier programs. Clearly the Finale implementation of increasing the target note by a percentage of its value would be ham-handed in this day and age.

Adding any feature has an “opportunity cost” by delaying other features in addition to having ramifications on existing features. Currently one can simply slow down the tempo (drastically) for the time the fermata should take. Of course that is a work-around and not as simple as selecting the fermata and using properties to indicate how many seconds or beats and fractions of beats to wait; but at least, until something better comes along, it does enable one to implement a playback solution for fermatas.

3 Likes

As I said, it’s a basic function for music editor software, so in my opinion should be a priority for future updates.

How do I make this tempo slowing down without writing rall or the like? I suppose it’s on Play Mode drawing some kind of line on the tempo track, but I didn’t easily find out how.

I’m with Coe on this! It’s one of the things that keeps me bouncing back and forth between Sibelius and Dorico, and not fully embracing Dorico. (The awkwardness of the simple task of adding rhythm dots is another…)

Please explain - how do you find this awkward?

3 Likes

one way to get round this is to insert a very slow tempo immediately on or after the fermata which you then hide in the score. That’s what I usually do, anyway.

1 Like

How do you hide the tempo? Is there an option to actually hide it, or do you unselect “Text shown” and “Metronome mark shown”?

I think if you tried it you could answer your own question.

You really do not need permission to experiment, and by doing so on a copy of your file you would do no irreversible damage and would probably learn more about Dorico faster and more thoroughly.

2 Likes

I tried that second method and works, but as discussed in another topic, one of the weak points in Dorico is not being able to simply hide what you want, like hiding rests when using two voices in the same staff. So maybe for this question about the tempo changes there was a hiding button as there are for some things (for example, there is such a button for hiding time signatures).
Therefore, I think is understandable for a user to ask such a question instead of just experimenting. In my opinion that’s an inconsistency in Dorico that should be addressed in further updates.

HideTimeSignature

?

“Remove rests” is very easy to do, especially if you assign an alias (such as ‘rr’) to the jump bar.

There’s a whole discussion at the end of the this topic:

The answer was Edit > Remove Rests after selecting the rest. But that’s not the same thing as hiding, because when hiding the rest is still there if ever you need to show it again.

Could you please explain here (or even better, on the other topic) what is this very easy way to do it?
Thanks.

So even though Dorico can do what you asked, you expect Dorico to do what you want and the way you want it to. I think that’s expecting too much.