Dorico 4 Crashing

Cheers. I’ll add that it also crashes on Macos 12.1.

I hope it’s not my IPA translations. :3

It is related to the fact that those lines of lyrics used for the IPA translations don’t have verse numbers. But not to worry: this project will open fine in the first maintenance update when it arrives.

3 Likes

I have this issue also, only one file.

Sorry for the inconvenience: but it will assuredly be fixed in the first maintenance update, which is coming in a few days’ time.

1 Like

Hi, if you are still looking for crash reports, finally captured one, I think. I was just going to print - pressed print at the top menu, then crashed.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.1 MB)

Thanks for attaching your diagnostics. I can indeed see that Dorico crashed after you switched to Print mode, but unfortunately the crash is in macOS system code rather than in Dorico code, so we can’t see what’s actually happening there. If you’re able to reproduce the crash at will, please let us know so we can try to reproduce it in-house.

If I edit a chord symbol in Project Default Appearances and Save as Default, I get a freeze, not a crash. The spinning beachball and I am unable to create a Diagnostic Report. That said, it does still save the custom chord symbol as default in the project.

That’s interesting. There’s no general problem with this operation that we’re aware of, so there may be something specific either in the chord symbols you’re using or perhaps with what is already in your user library that could be significant. Could you attach a project that reproduces the problem, together with the steps required to reproduce them?

Thanks @dspreadbury . I tried a fresh Dorico template for lead sheet with nothing in it and went right to Project Default Appearances and whether I add a chord or not to edit, if I press Save as Default, it will freeze every time. So the project does not seem to matter. And I tried this with both Bravura and Petaluma. This all came about trying to edit the A7 chord symbol in Petaluma. I’m on a 5,1 Mac Pro and Mojave.

Perhaps you could take a spindump, zip it up and attach it here. Run Activity Monitor and find the Dorico process in the list of running processes. Click Save as Default to reproduce the hang, then choose Sample Process from the little cog menu in the Activity Monitor toolbar to create a spindump.

Here you go @dspreadbury . I learned a new word: spindump. I’m gonna use that one for other things too. Thank you and I hope you find the culprit.

Dorico 4 spindump.txt.zip (26.7 KB)

1 Like

I believe you will find this problem is fixed in the Dorico 4.0.10 update, released yesterday. Please let me know if you find that not to be the case.

Sorry @dspreadbury but I still have the problem and repeatable every time. New spindump for you. I want to thank you and the team for your hard work with 4.010 and for your tenacity in solving problems and constantly making Dorico better. We greatly appreciate all that you do!
Dorico 4.010 spindump.txt.zip (24.4 KB)

You’re right, I’m afraid this problem was not comprehensively fixed in Dorico 4.0.10. I took another look at it yesterday and the issue is indeed now resolved. (It’s one of those situations where you look at the code and wonder how it could ever have worked.)

I’m sorry for the inconvenience. The problem will definitely be fixed in Dorico 4.0.20, which we currently plan for release before the end of February.

1 Like

Thank you!!! You all rock.

Random crashes here, too. Has happened when I select a layout for printing; when I change Engraving Options for verses; when I select a lyric and change it to ‘Chorus’ in the Properties Panel; and a couple of other things. It got to the point where Dorico was crashing so often I had to use Finale to do the chart I was working on (which just highlighted how much more efficient Dorico is). I’ve attached both the Dorico Diagnostic .zip and the Apple crash log.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (805.7 KB)
Dorico Crash.pdf (184.9 KB)

@dclose88, it looks like you haven’t yet updated to Dorico 4.0.10 – I would recommend you do so as soon as possible. Hopefully that will resolve your crashes right away.

I’ve had some strange crashes lately too. Attaching diagnostics.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (696.1 KB)

Other than that the new version is absolutely great.

Thanks for those crashes, @earv. I’ve passed them on to the team to see if they have any idea what could be going on there.

Hello all,
also lots of crashing here in v4 and 4.0.10
always when switching modes
reports attached
Apple crash.zip (27.1 KB)
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.4 MB)