Dorico 4 Crashing

Is this thread the way we report crashes? Or, is there some other central repository?

Each time Dorico 4 crashed this morning, it was when I was changing Paragraph Styles.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (976.0 KB)

Update: I’m able to faithfully reproduce my crash. With my current score, I’m unable to open any of the Libary options in the second set (see attached graphic). Attached is the crash diagnostic, the score (which reliably crashes), and an image of what I’m selecting that causes the crash. I’m on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) w/16 GB RAM. I am using Dorico Pro 4 w/native M1 (not in Rosetta). Even when in Rosetta (for Note Performer 3 use), it still crashes.

Update: When I create a new score, I can access this part of Library. Within the library manager, if I try compare my new score to the Dorico project that is attached, it crashes. :confounded: This is a real bummer as it seems like my score is now nuked and can’t take advantage of any of the Library > Music Symbol features. :grimacing:

If there is an Obi-Wan out there, you are my only hope!

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.1 MB)
20220425-crashMusicSymbolLibrary.dorico (741.6 KB)

I can reproduce the crash in your project, @cheetomoskeeto. There’s some kind of circular dependency in the music symbols that is tripping Dorico up. We’ll look into this and I will see if we can fix up the problem in the library in your project.

OMG thank you! This isn’t my actual project; instead, it’s a copy with all the music stripped out. Hoping if there is a fix that I can send my actual project privately…

Anyway, If it helps I remember creating two techniques: “sim.” (which is still there) and “choke” (spelled out as a word - I later deleted it and went with the default comma in the Unpitched Percussion section).

The problem turns out to be that you have unwittingly created a circular dependency between two of your font styles. If you go to Library > Font Styles and select your Hdez Rehearsal Mark Font style, you will see it has its Parent set to Rehearsal Mark Font, and then if you select Rehearsal Mark Font, you will see its Parent set to Hdez Rehearsal Mark Font. This is what is tripping Dorico up.

To fix this, you need to resolve this circular dependency: I would suggest changing the parent of Rehearsal Mark Font to Default Text Font or even to (None).

Thx so much! Makes total sense as I was poking around and trying to get my bearings with all the different font/character styling options. In being impatient, I ended up copy/pasting the score to a new file. I’m super impressed at how easy that was :grinning:

Hi Folks,
Doing basic note input in a newly created file (no playing around with text or fonts) I’m getting crashes repeatedly. I’m having to save literally after inputing a couple of notes to make any progress. It’s really frustrating. I tried to upload my crash log zip to this post but it’s 6.7 MB and the forums have an upload limit of 4MB… maybe that’s something you can fix?
Using Dorico 4 Version 4.0.31.1060 (Mar 24 2022) on a Mac running 12.3.1.
Cheers!

Welcome to the forum @lilycat .

Please post your crash logs instead to u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de. Thanks

This is my first time posting. I’ve been experiencing crashes with Dorico 4 since I installed it. At this point, I can’t say what is causing it. Often crashes when saving or changing Modes (Print, Engrave, etc.). I’m attaching my Dorico Diagnostics.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.7 MB)

I am working on an M1 MacMini and running Big Sur (11.6.5)

Welcome to the forum, Leonard. I’m sorry to say that these crashes are all examples of a problem that we have not yet been able to pin down, which is a crash in the application framework that Dorico is built upon related somehow to the updating of keyboard shortcuts when switching mode. As yet we’ve been unable to reproduce this problem on demand, which means we’ve so far been unable to fix it, but we continue to investigate it and we are hopeful of finding a fix soon.

I’m running Dorico 4 (4.0.31.1060 (Mar 24, 2022)) on an iMac Pro (2017 vintage, 64 gigs ram - Mac OS Monterey (12.3.1 (21E258))) and within the last two days, I have had two spontaneous crashes. I’m attaching the diagnostics report.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.3 MB)

One of the crashes shows Dorico failing to save the state of your VST plug-ins when saving the project; the other shows the program crashes when updating the display of the system track while inputting lyrics. If either of these crashes is reproducible, please do let us know.

I think some of the crashes is related to how fast you switch between modes. If you just open an Orchestra template, enter some notes on, say, the clarinet, then decide you want to add a piano, pressing “setup” causes a crash. I would care, but every time it crashes, I spend a lot of time trying to get it to make sound again. This is ok if I am not using a bunch of VST’s. If that is the case, since it takes sometimes 30minutes to load a full BBCSO project it is SUPER painful. I see you tried to address some of that VST in 4.0.3, but why does the sound go away at the drop of a hat?
I will gladly give you a project but do you have BBCSO? Sometimes you say you don’t have that so maybe it is a mute point.

I don’t personally have BBC SO, but other members of the team do, so if you want to send us a project that you can reproducibly crash on demand, we’ll certainly be happy to take a look.

Ha Ha, moot point. Anyway, this happens especially if you just saved, as well. Saving plus moving too quickly to do your next thing, like press the Print, Play, Engrave or Setup mode when you were in Write mode.

This happens even in your “create, orchestra” mode with no VST’s Have you tried?

Of course! We’ve tried at great length on a variety of computers and have been unable to reproduce the problem at all.

OK I will get the latest crash reports. What is best way to do that if it crashed a couple of times in the last hour. Are they all saved?

Yes, just do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file. I fear they will not show us anything that we don’t already know, unfortunately, but please do upload them all the same.