Dorico 4 First Time

That is odd – can you share the project file itself?

I can send, email?

Copacabana.dorico (493.3 KB)

You have a hidden 3/4 time signature at the start of the first full bar. You can see this when signposts are shown.

If this was because you wanted a pick-up beat but weren’t sure how to do that, here are the instructions. For a quarter note into a cut common time signature, enter “cutc,0.5” into the time signatures popover.

Lillie, I see - I understand what you are saying, I used a previous set up and forgot to change this, thanks

Can trills be extended in Elements 4 across two bars contain two tied whole notes?

Why don’t you give it a go? :wink: either select those two bars and input a trill, or if you’ve already input a trill in the first bar, lengthen it into the second bar.

1 Like

I was able to do this by first inserting the tied notes across two bars and selecting ‘trill’ while the two notes were active

If you take a look at the instructions for how to input trills, you’ll see how the alternative (inputting trills alongside notes) works.

Not a direct Dorico question but more general music theory. Can someone tell me if these old bar marking are simply replaced by ‘repeat bars’ in Dorico in modern music manuscript?

Also, where do I alter the multiyear rests? A multiyear rest of 5 bars is very wide, takes up half the width of my page?

In Dorico Elements 4, you can change this but on a per-multi-bar rest basis. Select then in Engrave mode, use the available properties in the Properties panel at the bottom.

Although this has reduced the size of the actual H-Bar, the bar width remains the same

I don’t think you can change this in Elements; there are options in Pro both for multi-bar rest width and more detailed note spacing controls.

This is what it looks like…

Perhaps you might like to adjust the casting off and change which bars are in that system and surrounding systems.

I managed to finish a clarinet part today, taken from an old paper copy and successfully added repeat markings quite easily. The paper copy tempo says “Flottes Samba - tempo”. How would I add this and get the correct tempo?

You could just add any old tempo, e.g. “Allegro”, then open the Properties panel in the lower zone and set the displayed tempo to whatever you would like to see via the Text property.

Thanks Daniel

I’m not an experienced musician but have been comparing old and new style engraving. Is the use of ‘Segno’ ‘Coda’ ‘DS al Coda’ still very much part of modern day writing or can these be substituted with ‘Repeat Bars’ and ‘Repeat Endings’?