Dorico and Eastwest Word Builder - problem?

I recently discovered a trick to get Play 6 working through Bidule in Dorico 3.5.

Before I had almost instant success with Opus if I hosted it inside a bidule instance; sadly the choirs just don’t act quite right for me in Opus neither in Cubase, nor Dorico (random notes/syllables just don’t act as they should. Sometimes notes play way too soft no matter what I do with CC1, 11, or note velocity. Random syllables double trigger on key release even without any syllables assigned to key-release, etc.).

Fortunately I discovered that both the VST2 and VST3 variants of Play 6 will work if I set up an independent sync source that simply rolls constantly and sync all instances of Play to this instead of the bidule plugin source.

The process is pretty simple.

After starting an instance of Bidule in the Dorico Instrument Rack, and loading some instances of Play 6 inside bidule:

In the bidule tool box create the following:

1. Building Blocks/Sync Creator
  2. Building Blocks/Math/Constant
  3. Set the constant value to 1.
  4. Connect the Value 1 to the Playing Gate pin on the Sync Creator.
  5. Right click and Sync each of the Play 6 instances to this new Sync Creator.

At this point word builder is working for me in Dorico 3.5>Bidule>Play 6!

I find that it performs a bit smoother/better than Opus with the Symphonic Choirs.

A rough score punched in quickly to show it works (not polished at all). Dorico successfully exported the MP3 on its own. Scaled it down to a short clip and faded it out in Cubase so it’ll fit here:

2 Likes