Dorico community repository - sharing maps and other config

This topic now popped up in two threads, so maybe it’s worth exploring.

Right now everyone is reinventing the wheel and doing their own mappings of various VSTs etc. So how about creating a public repo where we could share those?

The config files are xml, so they can be versioned easily. We could create a github team repo and go from there.

Each library would get its own project which would be versioned as a standalone unit. This should be agile and simple to setup and maintain, with the downside that finding the right plugin might be hard, specially for non-technical users. Some kind of directory/governance would be needed.

Who knows, perhaps if we create some good content, some time in the future Dorico might even integrate with it and enable importing maps directly from the repo for the technically unsavvy users.

Thoughts?

I like this idea. Especially if people create maps accurately. There is only one small issue, people creating user defined playing techniques and user defined playback playing techniques.

At a time when Dorico will export playing techniques and playback playing techniques with percussion maps, then this would be incredible.

Robby

Indeed, depending on the content, such library should include all configuration parts which function as a whole, from Percussion kits, playing techniques to expression/percussion maps and anything in between. At the moment the user would need to import that in all the different places in the UI, but it’s better than nothing, eh?

I agree. And it would save TONS of work by a lot of people.

Robby

We could call it the “Dorico Depot”!

I also wonder about a place to upload Dorico files of copyright-free scores, either by us, or classic scores. I’ve been inputting pieces including Schubert Unfinished, the Rite of Spring, etc., and it might be neat to have a place like IMSLP where folks could download Dorico files. Or perhaps we could upload to IMSLP and filter by Dorico file (I just tried that but it doesn’t seem to work).

I think we should add to that supplemental materials like Stream Deck icons and profiles, macros, and projects with custom playing techniques created by users that others could benefit from.

I guess everybody thinks it would be a good idea if someone else set this up, kept it running, filtered out the spam, and even kept the contents up to date with new version of Dorico (otherwise it will be dead in the water in a couple of years) :wink:

Well, if we create a team on github and whoever wants to contribute adds their project there and act as maintainer, it would be a start.

Here’s a quick and dirty example for Kontakt West Africa drum kit. The hardest thing to get started would be deciding on a structure of the repo and naming things :wink:

I think we also need to pester places like IMSLP and CPLD to allow us to upload .dorico files there. CPDL, for instance, allows finale and lilypond files. No reason it couldn’t allow dorico files too.

Is everyone fine with Github? I don’t much care what we use, but can we get some kind of plus 1’s or something going? I propose that we keep that separate from the structure discussion (get a quick decision or comments) as structure seems like a bigger topic.

IMLSP certainly allows “engraving files” for some notation software (I think I’ve seen Finale, as well as Lilypond).

But IMSLP might not be the best place. Personally I go there to look at old published editions (first editions, in particular) and composers’ manuscripts when they are available. I wouldn’t be likely to look at a modern edition by “some guy I’ve never heard of on the internet” regardless of how well or badly it was engraved.

Admittedly, that’s the same issue a dedicated Dorico repository would face: quality control.

I have little interest in pouring time and effort into an un-moderated wiki, but then who would be the moderators? Anyone remember CPDL? Resquiat in pace…

I wouldn’t be likely to look at a modern edition by “some guy I’ve never heard of on the internet” regardless of how well or badly it was engraved.

Yes - I’m thinking more like a workshop place where we can download scores, hack them, look for tricks, use for analysis, etc. NotePerformer sounds so good that I think you could even use Dorico scores to learn about orchestration, by soloing different instrumental groups, etc. Of course not the same as a real orchestra, but it still offers some intriguing possibilites.

How about DoricoUserland · GitHub? Anyone wants to join?

I might be too stupid for this venture, I cannot figure out how to ‘join’ the group. Is that even such a thing?

Robby

Send me your email in a private message and I’ll invite you. You’ll need to create a github account in the process.

Github account already created.

Robby

I still reference CPDL. There’s a LOT of dribble on it; but occasionally there are XML files with “good bones” which can save a lot of effort when engraving my own editions. There are a few dedicated users who pop up on bigger works with higher quality editions. The same is true on IMSLP. Les Éditions Outremontaises, for instance, has touched nearly every organ composer I can find and he does fantastic work, so it’s not a total loss.

Is DoricoUserLand only for sharing mappings and such, or is it a place to share ANYTHING? Such as PDFs, Files, etc., provided it is not copyrighted (of course)?

Robby

It is whatever you want it to be :slight_smile:

Github is designed for text files primarily, but small binaries should work as well.

@Dorico team, would be great to have an option to save and open unzipped projects :bulb: