Dorico Elements license does not show up in eLicensing Center

I own Dorico Pro which works fine and bought additional license for Elements. On My Steinberg the Elements license lists as activated and attached to one of my usb licensers but it does not show up there in eLicensing Center. I tried to get support but apparently even if you purchase something through steinberg store you have zero rights to any support. The distributors pointed to by Steinberg do not respond. So - is it a known issue or something only support can solve, and if so, how to get it? How is it even possible to offer product online without customer complaint route back to the seller?

Welcome to the forum, Zbigniew. I’m sorry to hear you’ve had problems getting your Dorico Elements license activated.

Have you entered the Dorico Elements activation code you received when you bought the software into eLicenser Control Center? You would have then been prompted which of your existing eLicensers – either the connected USB-eLicenser(s) or the Soft-eLicenser on your computer – to install the license on.

You will certainly be able to get help with software activation. Provide a few more details and I’ll do what I can to help you myself, or redirect your case to one of my colleagues in our support team, who will be able to help you further.

Thank you very much, I certainly did all of the things you mentioned, as it was not my first Steinberg license. I installed it on a dedicated, separate USB and it seemed fine. Somehow, the USB I installed the license on lost it, and the license appeared on another one, with the number I do not recognise. According to My Steinberg account, it appeared that I owned three USBs, when in reality I only ever had two.

However, I have finally managed to get through to the support team for Poland (from Yamaha) and the issue was resolved by reissuing of the activation code. So, great thanks, its all fine now!

Great, I’m glad you are up and running again. Sorry for the inconvenience caused!

Unfortunately it did not last long. I was not careful enough and bought an upgrade to Dorico 4. When I installed it, not only did I not manage to upgrade it but it also corrupted my existing license on my main USB (the full version, not Elements) which means I have no access to Dorico during important deadlines! Wow! This is a nightmare.

E-licenser shows the following: “At least one of the eLicensers used during this process was disabled and cannot be used for any license transactions. Please contact your software vendor to solve this issue.”, I tried but until now I have no Dorico because of the stupid upgrade.

I am sure it is a bug on Steinberg part because now my Steinberg account shows that I have still three licensers, only this time my real one, has zero Steinberg licenses, which is not true because the show up (except Dorico is grayed out as if it was cancelled because of lost licenser). Plus, Cubase is there and it works!

So gentlemen, what are you doing?

Warning / lesson learned: never upgrade anything during important project!

Are you trying to run Dorico 4 or Dorico 3.5? Dorico 4 doesn’t use the eLicenser, so even if you have disabled your eLicenser somehow then it shouldn’t stop you from using it. Dorico 4 uses the Steinberg Activation Manager instead - is that showing you that you have an activated licence?

The error appeared when I was running Dorico 3.5 and then tried to open eLicenser to see what is going on. I downloaded it and installed during the purchase. Should I download Steinberg Download Assistant Setup and install it again?

Have you tried running Dorico 4, or the Steinberg Activation Manager?

I was using Steinberg Download Assistant, I was not aware of Steinberg Activation Manager, don’t remember exactly what was going on during installation

When I open it Steinberg Activation Manager shows no license found and Dorico 4 suspended, during “Attached to Audio Engine”. Steinberg Activation Manager, when I run it separately shows Dorico 4 status as ‘verification pending’.

PS. The instruction on My Steinberg (products) suggest that I should enter activation code in eLiciensing. It would be my preference to have it on USB because I move between two studios. Is there such option?

Dorico 4 - and all future Steinberg products - does not use the eLicenser. Instead it will use the new Steinberg Licensing system, and you can use the Steinberg Activation Manager to help you control your licenses. See New Steinberg Licensing FAQ | Steinberg

For now nothing works, and Dorico 4 goes into not responding, while Cubase shows missing licenses for HALion Symphonic Orchestra Preset 1 and Olympus Macro

Could you show us screenshots of the Steinberg Activation Manager and eLicenser Control Center?

Untitled.pdf (126.9 KB)

It looks like you need to follow the instructions in SDA to upgrade the Dorico 3.5 licence in your eLicenser. This will do two things:

• it will check that you are eligible for the upgrade, and will mark your Dorico 4 licence as being valid - this will stop “Verification Pending” in the Steinberg Activation Manager
  • it will mark your existing Dorico 3.5 as “not upgradeable”, to show that it has already been upgraded

But it does not let me do it:

Currently, there is no license available which can be upgraded by your upgrade license. Please connect an USB-eLicenser, which holds an appropriate upgradable license, to your computer.

It shows no upgradable licenses on my USB. So where has my license gone?

I am sorry I am going to have to leave the studio now, can I get some kind of contact to follow this up?

Your Dorico 3.5 licence in the eLicenser says “Transfer pending”, which I think means that you have tried to move it from your soft-eLicenser to your USB-eLicenser but something has gone wrong in the process. Could you try running the Maintenance task in eLCC?

I don’t know what happened. But how would you explain sudden appearance non-existing usb licenser on My Steinberg account? Surely I now how many licensers I bought. I think that part needs to be solved. But anyway you know my purchases and my USBs (the real ones) - could you just fix the errors on My Steinberg account? I think first that should be correct, then we could look what’s not working on my end.