Dorico file sharing site

honestly, I think for our purposes and the popularity and use this adventure will get, I don’t think it is a big deal. I find it unlikely to cause a conflict, seeing that it is an educational venture with a small user base.

I’m certainly not an attorney, so maybe I am out of line. But it doesn’t seem like this is a threat to anyone else business.

Why the need to be clever/catchy? It’s not creating a brand, it’s a reference site. And most, if not all users will find it from this forum. Once bookmarked the name is irrelevant.

DoricoFiles or DoricoLib or DoricoClub would do fine.

1 Like

How about “Madrigalis”? Apparently Valerio Dorico was the first person to use the term Madrigal in a publication.

1 Like

We can’t allow any third party site to use our trademarks, I’m afraid, so “Dorico” cannot appear in the title of the site. (This isn’t my policy, and I’m not a lawyer, but there are good reasons for this policy.)

2 Likes

I still like my Dorepo! Does not contain Dorico.

It wouldn’t be third party if Steinberg embraced the idea. And after, it’s beneficial for Dorico users and even a sales point!

This is a tricky grey area for us, and one that I am not going to push with the higher-ups for us to get involved in. We certainly don’t want to stand in the way of this effort, but we also do not endorse it.

Yeah as @Janus said, the site name isn’t a big deal. It’s totally fine to put something in the site byline like “Here’s where we share Dorico files,” or something similar. So there’s no need to wade into copyright requests!

2 Likes

Just asking - say I started the ‘Australian Dorico Users Group’ with a website. Would Steinberg issue a takedown order? Seems harsh and counterproductive. And what would I call it?

This is tangential, but the thread prompts me to pass on a thought I had a while back about crowd-sourcing a complete edition of D. Scarlatti’s keyboard sonatas, since there doesn’t seem to be one from any of the publishing houses.

My thought was to syndicate with Finale & Sibelius users, since greater numbers of contributors would obviously make the task go faster, if not necessarily smoother. That would require a lead editor, or a small lead-editorial group, and peer reviewers, to ensure uniform standards across the project. Other hazards besides… just wondered if anyone has thoughts?

Re “Madrigalis” - just discovered it’s used by a Northamptonshire Girls School Choir, so a no-go. Pity, I thought it had a certain caché

Sharico.

1 Like

Consonence ?

I think Scorico is pretty settled at this point! Doesn’t seem to be an issue with trademark.

https://www.scorico.com/ Scorico is a free financial tool designed for small businesses in logistics and transportation.

Might cause a problem?

Music Engraving and Digital Playback Resources
for users of Dorico Advanced Music Notation System

What would the URL be? That’s the point…

www.consenence.com

Music Engraving and Digital Playback Resources
for users of Dorico Advanced Music Notation System

consonence.com doesn’t seem to be registered.

Nobody seems to like my name for the repository Dorepo. But in any case. exploitative domain squatters have it for only USD$3,295.

A big problem on the internet when cooking up names.

And the web address could be DamNoteS