Dorico Glissando playback

Hi!

When I write a glissando for piano I expect the glissando to be either all white or all black keys, but somehow Dorico plays a chromatic glissando. Is there a way to make the playback fit the glissando style?

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not yet. A full implementation of glissando/portamento is still in the future.

Dorico does not have full support for glissandi yet. I would like string glissandi. I do understand it is a hard problem. We have to wait.

I donā€™t think string glissandi is a high priority. Only Sibelius with NotePerformer can do it.

Mike

1 Like

which is just about the only reason (other than looking at scores from others) why I still have SIbelius installed. It does excellent brass glissandi.

1 Like

Others might disagree.

5 Likes

Glissandi, together with microtones, have been a liberating device in the late Fifties. They have been since an essential part of many contemporary languages.

Paolo

2 Likes

I canā€™t speak for anyone else, but for me, string glissandi is the single most critical feature missing from Dorico.

8 Likes

@eheilner although list etiquette suggests not posting simple ā€˜+1ā€™ type replies I am compelled to say that I totally agree. Itā€™s completely blocking me from producing the audio for a 300 page string quartet for a colleague, which is a great pity.

2 Likes

As I mentioned before, glissandi (with NotePerformer) is the main thing keeping me as a Sibelius user.

Mike

1 Like

One should never comment on the software difficulties and timeframes involved in implementing a desired feature, but I am heartened by the fact that if Sibelius can do it then it means at the very least that it is possible.

although I know itā€™s a matter of some debate but I would still draw a distinction between portamento and glissando. After all, libraries usually do and most support sampled portamenti ā€“ and therefore they are supported by Dorico ā€“ whereas that is not the case for glissandi. What I assume weā€™re looking for here is for Dorico to emulate glissandi which have not specifically been sampled through pitch bend or some other technique. I donā€™t underestimate the potential difficulty in doing this well but I can only echo the many other voices in saying just how important this is as a playback tool. Far more important than trills which have been supported for ages but donā€™t really need to be because again most libraries cover this with samples and the artificial ones are seldom pleasant (just my view ā€“ I know the additional options they offer have their supporters) .

3 Likes

Iā€™ve no idea how these things work under the bonnet, but I do notice that jazz ornaments such as doits are smooth rather than stepped in playback (using NP at least). They even work with string instrments, which I didnā€™t expect. They are of course of no practical use as glissandi; but, if the notation requires a rapid upward slide to a non-specific note, they are your friends (as one was for me recently for exactly that purpose in a violin passage).

2 Likes

Hi,
Does anyone know whether it has been fixed by now? Or is it still not possible to do playback on glissando, even when using note performer?

Best,
Laura

Strings portamento and glissando are super critical to me. I have it in sibelius And notion mobile from presonus.

1 Like

proper strings portamento is something which the better libraries support through samples. Sampled glissando support is rarer and thus itā€™s very welcome that Dorico 5.1 now supports it through pitch bend in much the same way Sibelius does (though it has more features and options than the Sibelius implementation). Of course itā€™s not as realistic as sampled gliss. or portamento but if youā€™re happy with the way Sib and Notion do it, youā€™ll be perfectly satisfied with Dorico.

1 Like

Portamento isnt an option even in my ornaments or playing techniques. 5.1 i have. What am i missing? @dko22

thereā€™s notated glissandi under the trills section and from there you can choose under ā€œPropertiesā€ whether the notation is to be gliss or port. As regards playback, it depends entirely on which library you have. As I said , the better third party libraries usually have sampled portamenti which give the best results but thatā€™s not the case with bundled libraries like Iconica or Halion ā€“ there you can make use of the new glissando emulation.

2 Likes

Thanks @dko22 , I was able to use it now. Happy to see it even though it sounds aweful with iconica sketch.