Dorico midi note velocity editor issues

Hi I noticed under my settings that the midi note velocity editor does the following

1. Using select arrow (points diagonally up and left) the selected notes across time all have velocities changed to be the same (velocity differences NOT maintained)
  2. Using slope (/) increase/decrease, ALL notes played together, including any not specifically selected, have their initial velocities changed to be equal to each other (velocity leveling) after the slope implementation
  3. Using the “Dotted Box” selector, the selected notes across time appear (in the Velocity bars shown in Playing Techniques) to have their velocities changed equally but do not actually change their played volume.
  4. When using the crayon/pencil (points down and left) ALL voices go up and down together, including those not specifically selected, and ALL voices are given the same velocity even when they did not originally have the same velocity
  5. When using the Histogram, I’m able to (a) select a particular set of notes (say the treble) and (b) click on the Histogram button and set it to “Selection” and alter the velocities of the selected notes ONLY - and there is no velocity levelization - which are what I think all of the above should do too - once you select a set of notes for edit, only those selected should be affected
  6. Have we lost the use of the D 3.5 Velocity box where you can input a velocity number (or click on +/-) for a set of notes?
  7. The editor is glitchy - sometimes it will not respond to mouse clicks, and you cannot select notes to edit with the mouse, even though the keyboard might be working

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi I noticed under my settings that the midi note velocity editor does the following

1. Using the select arrow (points diagonally up and left) to alter note velocities, the velocities of the selected notes are all changed to be the same. Why are the initial velocity differences not maintained? Is there a way to change that?
  2. Using slope (/) velocity increase/decrease tool, ALL notes played together at the same time, including any not specifically selected , have their initial velocities changed to be equal to each other (velocity leveling) after the slope implementation.
  3. Using the “Dotted Box” selector to alter velocities, the selected notes appear (in the Velocity bars shown in Playing Techniques) to have their velocities changed equally but do not actually change their played volume. Can this be fixed?
  4. When using the crayon/pencil (points down and left) ALL voices go up and down together, including those not specifically selected, and ALL voices are given the same velocity even when they did not originally have the same velocity. Same questions.
  5. When using the Histogram, I’m able to (a) select a particular set of notes (say the treble) and (b) click on the Histogram button and set it to “Selection” and alter the velocities of the selected notes ONLY - and there is no velocity levelization across voices - which are behaviors that I think all of the above should do too - once you select a set of notes for edit, only those selected should be affected
  6. Have we lost the use of the D 3.5 Velocity box where you can input a velocity number (or click on +/-) for a set of notes?
  7. The editor is glitchy - sometimes it will not respond to mouse clicks, and you cannot select notes to edit with the mouse, even though the keyboard might be working
  8. Looks very promising in general!!

Thanks!

Please don’t post the same messages multiple times. If you can’t find a previous message you have sent to the forum, please go to the Activity tab from your user profile, where you can find all of the threads and messages you have sent. Thanks!

There were no responses, which is why I reposted. I tried to delete the old one - okay?

1 Like

No need to delete the old post: I have combined them together here. If you have any further observations that are linked to this area of the program, please feel free to post them as a further reply in this thread.

Great thanks

Have any of these things been addressed? Or even acknowledged? I have been trying to edit velocity in a piano part, and either there is some secret to using this feature that I am not privy to, or it is broken. I just don’t get it. I must have edited velocity in 6 or 8 different DAWs, and short of painstakingly editing every note individually, there seems to be no way to do it. Surely this is not the intent? Is it operating as intended?

No, there are certainly some issues with the velocity editor at present, and we are working on addressing them at the moment.

Is the velocity editor the same as the dynamics editor? I knew that the tempo and dynamics editors were both missing, but I didn’t realize that this included velocity. If my understanding of the blog is correct, these are not expected to return in the February update. Is there any sort of timeline for when version 4.x will be, for lack of a better term, finished? Despite finally getting my OT libraries functional (mostly) in Dorico, I find myself having to scurry back to Logic for playback. There are just too many missing pieces. It seems like Dorico is going to be really good once it is put back together, but it is hard to distinguish between when I just don’t know how something works and when something just doesn’t work.

the dynamics editor uses the controller set in the Expression Map “Volume Dynamic”. If you look there, you can see what applies to your particular setup. For a piano, it will indeed normally be velocity so the same but that won’t apply to instruments where the tone can be varied after the initial contact (such as legato strings etc) where a CC will be used.

In other words, in your case the issues first raised are currently being addressed and the next update should show a clear improvement. However for instruments using CC controllers, the dynamics editor may not be in place until the following one.

PS looking at Daniel’s comment, I realised that what I just said could be ambiguous. It is indeed the score markings which are the basis for the dynamics editor but they are mapped to the main volume dynamic. Any differences in dynamic levels between score dynamic markings, such as live recording in velocity mode (or even little differences in dynamic due to humanisation settings) don’t have anything to do with it. With step input and no humanisation, the velocity line should be smooth and only show changes when dynamics are specifically written in the score. A little experimentation will soon show how it works anyway!

1 Like

No, the velocity editor and the dynamics editor are not the same thing: the dynamics editor presents a profile, like the continuous controller editor, but generated from the dynamic items that are printed in the score, and allowing you to edit or add further points to that profile (that won’t then appear in Write mode).

We know that it’s frustrating to have important parts of the Play mode interface missing, and we are working hard to restore them. Fixing some of the mouse-handling issues that are responsible for some of the issues described in this thread is our current top priority, and as soon as those are done, you can be sure that work on the tempo and dynamics editors will be next. I can only apologise for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

3 Likes

Thank you, Daniel. Something tells me that no product manager would have chosen to be put in the position that you have, and there would be little point in taking it out on you. The potential of Dorico is quite apparent to me at this point, but I am going to have to lay it aside until there are more tools at my disposal. It is hard enough to learn to use something new without blindly stumbling through the minefield of unfinished components.

I have spent a great deal of time with the expression maps, and I remain convinced of a couple of things: 1) The score markings made for and assigned to any given map should be exported and imported with that map. I find myself playing musical chairs with templates to get these items into the score. 2) The ability to select a note and right-click to see which articulations are available in its expression map and assign them from there would be a huge time saver. As it currently functions, I have to switch to VEPro and pull up the instrument to see what my options are, then return to the score and hunt for the articulation through a long list. This would be less cumbersome in a simple library, but with something complex like OT libraries, it is terribly clunky.

1 Like

Is there any workaround for this very important feature as of yet? It still occurs in 4.0.20.

I found a little workaround myself. If you turn on IRV in the Playback editor, and then select the approproate voice and then go back to the editor in Write Mode, only the right voice is selected. Works for me. As a user new to playback mode, this is all very hard to grasp, so sorry if I am stating the obvious.

@honjr Can you please add in the list (if you also experience this), so everything is in a single thread, that:

Changing the value of a dynamics marking (e.g. from p to f) doesn’t actually change the velocities in the velocity editor, but does correctly effect playback. This only happens if you’ve already placed a dynamic marking and you’re only changing it.

I’m afraid I don’t really understand what you’re getting at here. I select a sequence of random notes (which show dark blue and not black here). If you want to manipulate the existing velocity values of these notes then surely you use the select tool which works as I expect – in other words it changes the values of the selected notes. You use the pencil tool to create a single new event from the insertion point and the line tool to draw a continuous line. What exactly is different from 3.5 in this respect?

I think I made a mistake. I’ll remove the post.

no problem - I’m relieved to hear I haven’t completely misunderstood something (it does happen from time to time)