I am a film composer. Over the last two months things have been busy. I am currently a Sibelius 7 user and have a studio desktop and laptop. I use either one at any time (not both). I was ready to learn Dorico and upgrade to it, but I have decided to put that on hold waiting to see how the licensing works out. I have never been a fan of dongles having 30+ years experience in technology, I have seen them all back to the serial ones. The last time I used dongles was when I upgraded years ago to Gigastudio 4. I tended to forget them or they broke or otherwise were damaged. If I go on the road and want to compose on a plane, I don’t want to have to deal with a dongle. I much prefer to pay a little extra (not twice) for a license that allows me to install on two machines without simultaneous use.
Even if I did the dongle approach, if someday there was a software-only solution for installation on one laptop and one desktop, there would also need to be a way to transfer back the license from the dongle (which there currently isn’t).
I get that vendors need to secure their revenue stream but they also need to understand that 99+% of us are honest and want to do the right thing. There needs to be a certain amount of trust from the vendor so that those of us business people can continue with our own current business models and ways of operation. I really don’t want to change my business to accommodate a vendors security requirements.
I am not totally happy with Sibelius and have been looking for an alternative for some time, but it “does the job”. I can get my films scored with it. For another product like Dorico to get used, Steinberg has to remember they are often addressing a market where we already have a solution and hence they are looking to ‘displace’ the solution with a significantly improved one.
I want to move away from Sibelius. I am willing to pay to do that - I am in business - this is not a hobby. However, I can not do so in a way that impacts my business. Dongles get lost, damaged, or forgotten. I will not chance being unable to score because of a dongle or licensing issue. I am pretty certain I am not unique in this situation or ‘want’.
So right now Dorico is a non-starter for me. I don’t know all the options for purchasing and licensing so I don’t know whether I can purchase two licenses at $295 each off the same Sibelius competitive upgrade. But even if I can, $590 seems a bit pricey and perhaps Steinberg can come up with a way to have a two machine non-simultaneous solution somewhere more than $295 but less than $590.