Dorico Predictions for 2023?

For now I create a Control instrument that I include in every Write mode filter and use solely for the purposes of making it easy and consistent to see all tempo changes, rehearsal marks, page numbers for any external score source, and any other information that proves useful.

Edited to add:

Ah, now I see in later posts that you mean more of a live tempo control.

My Control track just isolates existing control information so it is uncluttered, separate from any other track and notation-related markings.

I think Sibelius had such function. You type on some key like you would conduct while listening to the playback and the program records all the tempo changes automatically.

I predict that there will still be notational limitations that prevent me from using Dorico.

1 Like

Bit of a Debbie downer, no? Would you at least care to elaborate what it is that you need, rather than merely lament its absence?

1 Like

Hi Romanos. I just got home three days late after flying Southwest to Denver, so that may explain it. It’s mainly the limitations regarding piano fingering and other stuff that I have mentioned ad nauseam.

I predict that Steinberg will create a “special contributor” program where they sweetly invite some posters to come explain certain concerns in person. You will enter a “ very modern, clean focus room “ at a shipping facility in your home country, after which they will tape shut the “door” of the white cardboard box, put that box in another box, spin a wheel to choose a mostly random destination.

If you can code that feature that would only take 5 minutes before the truck comes to pick you up, they will let you out but you have to keep the box for 6 months until you’ve proven there are no users anywhere that can find fault with it. Including some guy who has hacked an Apple 2e to run Dorico with a 16 bit sound blaster card. With documentation.

2 Likes

I hope that there will be soon a complete re-work of the chord symbol section – especially the part where you can build your own chord symbols (as the many preferences cover many things which are senseless but don’t cover some crucial things …).

1 Like

We’re unlikely to do a complete rework of the chord symbols features – one of the running jokes we have in the team is that at least one member must always be working on chord symbols, and has been since we embarked on working on them at the end of 2016 (indeed, one member of the team is working on chord symbols and chord diagrams right now, keeping it going). It is an area that we have made a massive investment in over the past six years.

So it would be helpful to know what specific issues you have, Peter. (And welcome to the forum.)

3 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

1 Like

After many years of unsuccessful trying to kill traditional notation, the Parliament of Steinberg country will make a big step for whole composer’s civilization - Dorico will become a main app that uses Cubase and WaveLab as plugins.

… said King Arthur :smiley:

Daniel, would it be very helpful if the customization of chord symbols (the suffixes in all roots) were made more easy to do. The way it is now it is very difficult and takes a lot of time to make it work.

Almost forget it - Happy New Year to everyone here!

2 Likes

Completely agree! As of now the chord suffix customization hierarchy is:

1. Engraving Options
  2. Customization of suffixes possible for every root

It would be great to have:

1. Engraving Options
  2. Suffix customization that is applied to all roots
  3. Customization of suffixes possible for every root

It’s the lack of that intermediary editing step that is really time intensive, although I’ve discovered a few possible doricolib tricks, depending on what changes you want to make.

1 Like

Didn’t I say this is going to turn into another wishlist, not about predictions? :slight_smile:

I suspect a new topic on chord matters would be a good idea.

2 Likes

I believe 2023 will bring us the ability to write a full orchestral score in Brian Ferneyhough’s style in a few clicks AND to make it love by the performers (and the conductor).