Dorico Pro 4.0.10 Fresh Install - Halion Sonic SE Doesn't Load Downloaded Content

Greetings! Huge fan of Dorico! However, I’m a bit confused on this one. I’ve tried following as many help tips as I can but no luck so far.

I’ve successfully used 3.5 and upgraded from 3.5 but since I just got a new computer I tried a fresh install of Dorico 4 using the Steinberg Download Assistant.

I have green checks in the Download Assistant on the 4.0.10 Application installer, HALion Sonic SE 3.5.0 Instrument and Content Dorico Pro 4

In the Steinberg library manager I can see the libraries and it says 9.76GB in 8 libraries.

However loading Halion on its own or in a Dorico File - the instrument sets are blank or I receive an error that says the files cannot be found/loaded.

I tried following the YT video regarding troubleshooting however if I go to AppData/roaming/Steinberg to delete the VST Audio Engine folder there is no VST folder there except for “Dorico 4” and “Steinberg Library Manager_64”

Also a bit odd is that in the VST Plug-In Preferences Halion is blacklisted. I’ve tried to whitelist it but it just keeps resetting to blacklisted.

I’ve attached a diagnostics zip on a blank piano file if that helps.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (329.1 KB)

Hi @jheinekamp , thanks for the data.
According to that HALion is not blacklisted. However, the audio engine does hardly detect any of the sound libraries; basically only the impulse responses for the REVerence reverb.
What I suggest you to do, go to Edit > Preferences, choose the VST PLug-ins tab, scroll all the way down and press the “Reset Audio Engine Data” button. After that restart Dorico and see if that goes any better. If still same issue, please post another diagnostics. Thanks

Thanks for the reply

I did the reset but same result so far with nothing being found or loaded in to HALion

I’ve attached the new diagnostics

thanks!
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (373.5 KB)

Hi, have a look at C:\Users[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg

There must be a folder “Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine_64” and “HALion Sonic SE_64”

Stop Dorico, delete those two folders and start Dorico again. Still the same?
If still same, please post another diagnostics report. Thanks

Screenshot attached but I only have 2 folders

Dorico 4
Steinberg Library Manager_64

Do I need to install the 3.5 content?
Screenshot 2022-02-16 101651

Then the audio engine has a problem.
Can you go to C:/Program Files/Steinberg/Dorico 4/VSTAudioEngiene and double click on the VSTAudioEngine5.exe ?
A splash screen shall appear and then disappear after a couple of seconds.
When you did that, is there then a “Dorico 4 AudioEngine_64” in that other mentioned location?
If so, please zip it up and send.
Thanks

Ran the VSTAudioEngine5.exe and got the splash screen, but still no folder in the AppData//Roaming/Steinberg location

I think I might have stumbled onto something with this process though. I’m on a work pc and it looks like there is a duplicate user in my name. One user has all of the files/folders that we have been looking for but the other doesn’t.

Is there a way to point dorico to a specific user? I’ll contact my tech support at the school as well.

Screenshot 2022-02-16 114159
Screenshot 2022-02-16 114228

I have never seen something like this before. Dorico has no means of choosing a user account but will always take the paths as provided by the current user’s environment.
So you must be logged in as the sandwich user then.
Anyway, please zip up the requested folders and post here. Thanks

Got it. Is there a prize for a never before seen issue?! =)

I’ve only ever been logged in as one user. So not sure why there are two. I have a ticket in to see if I can merge them.

Zip attached
Dorico 4 AudioEngine_64.zip (119.2 KB)

Hi @jheinekamp , sorry, no prize, just the honour. We’ll call it the jheinekamp-bug :wink:
But now that we know about it, please go to C:\Users\jheinekamp_sandwich4\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg and delete the subfolders “Dorico 4 AudioEngine_64” and “HALion Sonic SE_64”.
Then start Dorico and see how that goes. Still the same? If so, please do Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

1 Like

Alright gave it a shot but still nothing listed in the HALion player

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (471.8 KB)

Really weird…
Well, please go to C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound
There is a file called FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_01.vstsound
But also many many other vstsound files as well, right?
Do a right click on the Reverence vstsound file and choose property and then you look at the file access permissions. And than you compare those properties to properties of other files you find in that folder. Do the access rights match up, are they same? If not, please make them same for all files and try again starting Dorico.

Just an update - still working on a solution on my end.

I believe we figured out a good chunk of the problem being with permissions related to Google EDU accounts. Essentially with google school accounts we login with our google account but don’t have local admin privilege.

Google creates a local admin account (in this case “jheinekamp”) that acts as the admin - and a user account (jheinekamp_sandwich4) that has a different set of admin access. Makes sense to protect the pc from having every possible user adjust the settings but not in this specific circumstance.

I’ll report back once I’m able to adjust it with my tech as I believe the problem is on our end now.

@jheinekamp , I’m not sure if this will help you but this is from our internal documentation:

Primer: What goes where and who can see it?

This is expected behaviour during installation:
Content goes to %programdata%/Steinberg/Content/
If the user chooses a different location for content in the Steinberg Library Manager settings, it will maintain shortcuts inside the location above.
Since support frequently had to waste time, explaining the difference between global and local folders to customers, it was decided on the smallest common denominator. The default user on a standalone workstation is usually admin. The decision stands since a few years.

The media bay is looking into the following locations for vstsound files:

Global ( system wide)(content is installed here by default)
%programdata%\Steinberg\Content\

Local ( user land )
%AppData%\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\

Strategies:

If someone works with a non admin account, there are different strategies:

• Grant access to the content folder in the %programdata% location
  • Have the content vstsound files on a shared location (i.e. a very fast network drive) and whenever your ldap user logs on, make sure there are shortcuts to the shared files from
    %AppData%\Roaming\Steinberg\Content

Essentially, follow this rule: Make sure that the media bay can access the vstsound files, and you should be good to go.

We do not provide any technical solutions for this (special network user installer etc.), because it is a rats nest of edge cases. Any system administrator with a little pride should be able to stitch together a solution for their environment, with the information given above.

I have a problem when I want to install dorico pro. Indeed I took advantage of the trial version and I downloaded the dorico pack and all that goes with it (steinberg downloader assistant, activation manager etc…). But big problem when I want to download dorico and the sounds, impossible to install the sound content and impossible to run the library manager correctly (crashes all the time), nevertheless dorico manages to install itself but displays an error message saying that the sound content has not been downloaded. I’ve been trying to find a solution for days but I can’t, I’ve been to all the forums about this kind of error but still no solution.

But does it successfully download everything? Are you on Mac or Win?

Il réussit effectivement à tout télécharger mais il ne réussit à installer seulement Halion ( Dorico et le contenu sonore ne s’installent pas mais sont biens téléchargés )

Je suis sur win10

Is it crashing during installation or throwing an errror message?
Do you know the location where the packages got downloaded?

The packages get downloaded to the Steinberg subfolder in your Downloads folder. Can you manually run the installers from that location?