Dorico Pro 4 - Moving Bar Numbers

Thought I would just mention this. I am opening up files previously created in 3.5 and the bar numbers are consistently moved vertically upwards. Easy to rectify, but I thought I would flag it up.

Are you referring to the bar numbers at the start of the system, or elsewhere? There are new options for the positioning of bar numbers at the start of the system that will very likely be taking effect. Please refer to the Dorico 4 Version History PDF for documentation of the changes in the new version. (For example, a quick search in your PDF reader for “bar numbers” will turn the new options up right away, on page 57.)

This is also one of the lucky few already in the v4 manual (albeit cursorily)

Thank you for your replies. Yes. I am referring to the bar number at the beginning of each system which I have positioned above and to the left of the treble clef. This has been moved vertically upwards so it is quite a way from the stave. I am able to adjust this by heading to Engrave Options > Bar Numbers > Clefs > Minimum Gap Above The Treble Clef and changing the value from 2 to 1. The only reason I flagged it up was that I was under the impression that settings in existing documents were retained and took precedence over global settings. If I wish to make this a global setting for all future documents, how do I do this? Do I need to have a document open? Many thanks.

If you manually moved bar numbers around in your original project, so they each had a graphical offset set, going forwards it would probably be easier to use the default position setting and not move each bar number in new projects?

Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear Lillie. I have set the bar numbers up in my default document so that they are always in the same position. However, when I open up any of my documents (based on this default document), the bar number on each system has moved vertically upwards in Dorico 4. It doesn’t do it in Dorico 3.5. Just a curio really as it is easily remedied.

Those options didn’t exist in Dorico 3.5, but I suppose what I could do is set them all to zero in existing projects to make sure they don’t take effect by default. I’ll make a note of this.

1 Like

Thanks Daniel. It’s inevitable that a release like this will throw up all sorts of small anomalies. Dorico 4 looks fantastic though and I am really looking forward to getting to grips with it. Thanks again for the fantastic commitment that you and the team continue to provide. It really is greatly appreciated.