Double-click Intermittently Works in Cubase 9 / macOS

That’s barely a “solution”, the Magic Mouse is the de facto standard for Mac users and like you guys, I really love it (particularly for gestures and horizontal scrolling).

In other news, I’m STILL waiting to hear back from YAMAHA Australia. Well over 1 month later…

Exactly. The magic mouse was fine before. The solution should be Steinberg figure out what is wrong and fix it. What a nonsense response. Also, I still have had no response from YAMAHA Australia either. I’m so close to selling up and going Logic.

It’s not a mac OS thing, i have it on all versions of Cubase in windows.
I’ve reported the “e” thing many times but I think it’s actually the intented design… One click is supposed to bring plugin forward, one click moves it to background. Double Click does nothing because it remains at its current place. The result is 1000’s of extra clicks all around. I think it could be improved, somehow.

FeatReq - here

Additionally - combine this issue with the one where a specific plugin (plugin issue) doesn’t like to be turned on/off by the mixer - gets pretty frustrating.

cheers

I got a reply from YAMAHA Australia after chasing up and leaving a voicemail on their support line:

Steinberg have been unable to replicate this behaviour

I have tried on to mac here and cannot replicate either

It seems to affect certain Macs it may be related to the GUI issues affecting some users but unfortunately no cause has been determined so far

[CAN-6382]Mac users with GUI/graphics issue. - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

I explained that this issue has nothing to do with the GUI issues. I’m currently on El Capitan and everything works as it should. I’ve been doing lots of production in the last few weeks with Cubase 9 and the clicking behaviour works correctly.

Hey guys, Steinberg are unable to repro this which is what’s holding us back here. If anyone has some time to produce a demonstration video, that will probably help.

I’m back on El Capitan so it’s not as easy for me to do without at least installing Sierra on another partition. I’ll try to find some time to do that over the weekend but anyone’s help would be greatly appreciated too.

Cheers
Fotis

Hello,

I was mostly referring to the GUI lag issue in that reply, as the subject of your e-mail was “Mac slow GUI issue - ref. fbmgi16”, sorry for the misunderstanding.

However, this is also known, there is a technical reason for that and it’s also looked into… someone from Marketing posted the status recently, but I can’t find it at the moment, will post it when I manage to find it.

The two fixes I mentioned apply to the GUI lag, the double-click is a separate issue.

Lastly, please note that our correspondence’ signatures include the following, thank you:

Privileged / Confidential Information may be contained in this message. You may not copy or
deliver this message to anyone else or use its content for other purposes!

Apologies Fabio - I missed that part of the email. I’ve removed my post.

Mike, no big deal, I could have moderated the post, if it was THAT bad - just a heads-up because it happens that we provide not-yet-public info when replying to e-mails. Feel free to re-post, at least for ‘continuity’.
[Edit] The most important thing to note is that I was referring to the GUI lags on Mac when talking about the two improvements in 9.0.20 (this double-click thing might actually be caused by different causes on different systems).

Still looking for that statement, by the way :frowning:

Hey Fabio, thanks so much for jumping in and helping us. Have the team been able to repro this double click issue or do you need video demonstrations and such? I’m happy to help in any way required as I am concerned about the day I purchase a new mac and am forced to move to Sierra. I’m sure many other MBP 2016 users feel the same way as they are forced to use Sierra.

I have really struggled to get help from YAMAHA Australia, they simply say that Steinberg can’t reproduce this problem. It’s been well over a month since I raised my case.

Thanks heaps!!
Fotis

Same issue…

Had to update to Sierra for some new hardware, and thought maybe the double clicking was just an issue I was having with Cubase 8. Trialing 9… and nothing has changed. I just bought a new magic mouse from apple like 2 months ago. Using a late 2015 MBP, and EVERYTIME I’ve upgraded to Sierra… something goes wrong. I swear if I have to downgrade to El Cap again…

As much as I hate to say it… I think this is primarily an Apple issue (like most things the last couple of years #HeadphonePortFail… )

Hopefully Steinberg can find a fix ASAP!

Just tested this again with a fresh Sierra install using the very latest version of both Sierra and Cubase 9. The issue is sadly still present. I also managed to crash Cubase using plugins which are very stable in El Capitan too, so I think that the double click issue (for me) would be just one of the hurdles involved in upgrading to Sierra.

Well I STILL haven’t had a response from YAMAHA Australia.

Same mate :frowning:

I’ve seriously had it. I have been using Logic since this problem began and over the last few days I have been trying to use Cubase again because I do love elements of it. Double clicking is imperative. I just cannot work with out it. This is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that Cubase is running terribly on my system (actually same specs as yours fgimian) with absurd CPU usage making my machine run hot even when Cubase is just sitting idle.

To add insult to injury I get no response from YAMAHA/Steinberg Australia support. What kind of company is this? I have spent $800 dollars on this software and if I don’t receive some kind of support I will be contacting the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and demanding a refund. This is beyond unacceptable.

Good luck buddy. My final suggestion would be to call them, you can reach them during business hours.

For what it’s worth, Cubase runs like a dream on El Capitan for me, I highly suggest downgrading if you can, it’s worth it. What sort of plugins are you running and what audio interface?

I’m on a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt interface with a pretty select set of plugins. I can provide more info if it helps.

I wish I got on with Logic Pro, but it really lacks in the audio editing department.

I didn’t even see a phone number. Amazingly, I received a reply almost straight away today. I just sent them some screens shots of my CPU usage issues and info.

Actually you’ve just reminded me I forgot to tell them I’m on Sierra.

I’m using a Babyface. The CPU problem points squarely at Addictive Drums 2. I notice it is quite high in Logic also. It get’s really high when I open the AD2 GUI. But where it’s high in Logic at like 50-60%. It is at 128% in Cubase! Obviously AD2 is an issue but I can manage it in Logic by closing the GUI where it runs at about 30%. In Cubase with the GUI closed it’s still at 80-90%.

But the mouse thing? It is driving me spare.

The mouse thing is a huge HUGGGGGEEE problem. I just don’t know how to get Steinberg’s attention on this one. I will follow up YAMAHA again today. Extremely disappointed by this experience and am in utter disbelief that this bug got through beta testers and Sierra qualification.

FYI YAMAHA Australia’s number is 1300 739 390, then wait to speak to an operator and ask for Steinberg technical support. It seems that a fella by the name of Jarrod is the main one providing Steinberg support so you will likely be put through to him if you call.

For what it’s worth, Cubase 9 is (in almost all ways) a superior DAW to Logic Pro X (imho) so it is worth getting it going, even if you have to go back to El Capitan and/or chase up issues with specific plugins. I have found the performance to be incredible with ASIO Guard now, I can literally hit 100% CPU and still not get dropouts.

With the exception of this clicking issue, almost all my other crashes are plugin related and various companies have acknowledged them as plugin bugs too. So very likely you are in the same boat.

Based on my experience, the AU spec is a bit tighter than the VST spec, and that could be a reason why some plugins are more stable in Logic Pro X.

Hey guys, just had a chat to Jarrod from YAMAHA support. He suggested we provide full details of our hardware configuration as this issue appears to affect certain Macs and not others. It is also possible that this is indeed a bug or
change introduced by Apple that may need to be addressed by Apple instead of Steinberg.

Further to this, Steinberg are after a step by step as to where you can reproduce the issue on your system. All this info will help them determine if there’s something in common with all our affected systems and get to the bottom of it.

I’ll start getting further information together shortly, but if you guys can also do the same too, that would be awesome!

Looks like it’s working…
Weird cause Cubase is the only software that show this problem

For the record my Magic Mouse double click issues still exist after the 9.0.20 update.
Anyone else?