Download Assistant is problematic

I really hate this application! When you launch it it always asks you login and authenticate. It will automatically update your elicencer and activation software. And when it finally appears it’s a maze of menu’s with all available applications and sounds that let you decide what you need. In mine it insists that I need to update the Allan Morgan Signature Drums. But I’ve never bought it and it’s not on my elicencer! So go figure Steinberg!

I just hate it that this application insist on installing most applications from a download and wont let me download and save the updates! I can imagine this could be handy in some cases but I usually save my downloads so I won’t have to download +40 GB again when needed!

Also the version comparison between installed and ‘maybe’ updated content is next to impossible. If you want to be up to date on for instance Groove Agent Drum Kits there is no way of knowing if you’re running the latest version. Because there’s no version history in there.

A good example of total uselessness is the old Padshop Pro, which is now Padshop 2? All the Pro downloads are now converted to "for Padshop 2’. This would suggest you to download several gigabytes again because Padshop Pro has been discontinued and Padshop 2 is automatically installed? They make it sound that if you’ve switched from Pro to 2 you need to download these sounds again. `But the *.vstsound content is exactly the same! The only difference is that the original Padshop Pro came with an installer and the new Padshop2 only has the *vstsound files to be directly installed into the Library Manager . Is it really too much work to mention in the SDA that if you have the original files you don’t need to download these again for Padshop2?

It looks like Steinberg just wants us to download as much as possible of the same stuff we already have over and over again without ever thinking on how this can be managed more efficiently!

Same with switching from Cubase 11 to 12. Almost all of the content is the same but it’s listed in both without even a simple mention that if you already installed this in prior versions you don’t need to download this again. So I can imagine a lot of people don’t realize this and go ahead and download 25 GB of data they already have installed!

So this “Download Assistant” is a crying shame and generating a massive amount of unnecessary network traffic.

For people like me with a fast and unlimited connection it’s not a problem. But for people less fortunate it’s of course a major disaster!

So next time Steinberg complains after a major update that their server are overloaded you have all the right to blame this on them! Because they do nothing to decrease network traffic. In fact they make it worse by endorsing an application like the SDA!

I know Steinberg said it’s a work in progress? But for most users it’s becoming a major pain in progress that keeps lingering on!

Especially with the amount of data involved today I think Steinberg should really make it a high priority to sort this out as soon as possible!

3 Likes

If I didn’t know any better, I think it’s fairly reasonable to conclude you are asking Steinberg to combine the Download Assistant, Activation Assistant, and Library Assistant functionality into a single application. Bless your heart. Personally I hope they go the opposite direction. For example, in order to use the Activation Assistant app, I would first need to install the Mouse Assistant app, because that’s how the Activation Assistant app listens for mouse clicks. But before that, I’d need to install the OS Assistant app because the Mouse Assistant app would need to communicate with the OS. Which reminds me, the Kernel Assistant app is a prereq in order to access the raw hardware interactions used in the OS Assistant app. I’m not even done yet. Before the Kernel app is installed however, the Bios Assistant app has to be installed.

You know, on second thought, scratch that. I’ll just write my own bios, kernel, hardware drivers, OS, etc because that route is much easier and way less frustrating :wink:

I don’t use it, it’s horrible.

Download everything from here and manually install:

Not all content is available through the website.

Here’s a quick and dirty list I made showing which are, and which are not.

See the List:
Sound Content Downloads Content-Typ Max. Größe
80s Pop Website Allen Morgan Signature Drums Vol. 1 Website
Allen Morgan Signature Drums Vol. 2 Website
Alternative Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 105 MB
Alternative Rock Website
Alto Glockenspiel SDA Only HALion Instrument 14 MB
Ambient Lounge Website
Analog House SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Retrologue 5 MB
Blues Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 200 MB
Beat Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 115 MB
Bouncy Vibrations SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent 5 240 MB
Chillout Website
Colliding Worlds SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 2.8 GB
Dark Planet Go to download page… VST Instrument Set & VST Instrument 990 MB
Dubstep Website
Electric Bass SDA Only HALion Instrument 13 GB
Electronic Dance Website
Electronic Mode Website
Elek Drums Website
Elektro Website
Engine Roar Download here HALion Instrument 65 MB
Funk Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 150 MB
Funky Website
Fusion Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 118 MB
Future Bass SDA Only Retrologue 2 Expansion 3 MB
Future Electronica SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 168 MB
Future Past Perfect SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 157 MB
Groovy 70s Website
Guitar Harmonics Essential SDA Only HALion Instrument 13 MB
Guitar Spheres Website
Granular Guitars SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Padshop 2.8 GB
Granular Symphonies SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Padshop 2 GB
HALion Symphonic Orchestra SDA Only VST Instrument Set 6 GB
Hammered Dulcimer SDA Only HALion Instrument 1.1 GB
Hip Hop Website
Hip Hop 2 Website
Hybrid Bundle (POLY+WAVE) SDA Only HALion Instrument 1.5 GB
Hypnotic Dance Go to download page… VST Instrument Set & VST Instrument 100 MB
Iconica SDA Only HALion Instrument
Indie Rock Website
Industrial Website
Jazz Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 120 MB
Jazzy Latin Website
Klanghaus Website
Marimba SDA Only HALion Instrument 110 MB
Metal Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 100 MB
Metronomic Cinema SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 793 MB
Metro Heights SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 6.2 GB
Minimal Sessions Website
Modern Jazz Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 110 MB
Nashville SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 7.1 GB
Neo Soul Keys Go to download page… VST Instrument Set & VST Instrument 580 MB
Neuro Mindset SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 359 MB
Nu Metal Website
Olympus Choir Micro SDA Only HALion Instrument 440 MB
Orchestra Website
Platinum Guitars Website
POLY SDA Only HALion Instrument 374 MB
Pop Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 78 MB
Prime Cuts SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 160 MB
Progressive House Website
Prologue Discoveries Website
Reggae Website
RnB Website
Rock Website
Rock and Roll Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 80 MB
Rock Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 74.2 MB
Simon Phillips Studio Drums SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 5.5 GB
Simon Phillips Jazz Drums SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 7.3 GB
Smooth House Website
Sounds of Soul Request download… VST Instrument Set for Retrologue 2 MB
Songwriter Essentials SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent 4/5 104 MB
Synthesizers Website
The Songwriter’s SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Groove Agent (SE) 4/5 3.7 GB
Triebwerk Go to download page… VST Instrument Set & VST Instrument 560 MB
Urban Website
Vibrant SDA Only HALion Instrument 13 GB
Vertigo Strings SDA Only HALion Instrument 290 MB
Vintage Classics Request download… VST Instrument Set for Retrologue 2 MB
VST Sound Collection Vol. 1 Go to download page… Klangbibliothek for HALion One 2 GB
WAVE SDA Only HALion Instrument 1.2 GB
World Beatz Website
Zero Gravity SDA Only VST Instrument Set for Padshop 220 MB
Zilhouette Strings SDA Only HALion Instrument 2 GB
1 Like

just now i noticed your topic, i just opened another DA FR and a rant.
DA concept is really a mess and a miss from Steinberg, they need really work on it and make an overhaul to this confusing and not intuitive program ASAP

just now i noticed your topic, i just opened another DA FR and a rant.
DA concept is really a mess and a miss from Steinberg, they need really work on it and make an overhaul to this confusing and not intuitive program ASAP

Download assistant is very confusing for me.
wish Steinberg improve it already and make it more intuitive, more
like NI Access program.( sadly DA is one of the worse download mangers i encountered from music companies)
NI Access can download and install multiple programs in parallel,
it inform when an update available for program you have purchased ,
and its clear and nice understandable layout.
Download assistant was a good move toward steinbergs downloading manger, but it get no improvements on those regards, me as primary Steinberg product user don’t know what i have installed and what products have updates available and all products are cluttered together no matter what you purchased or what not ,and its a big mess with all those small windows and categories !
please make it already more user friendly like NI Access manger is, clear and simple !

Hi @Nickeldome,

Allan Morgan Signature Drums and a few more content packages (- please see list below -) are extensions to the entry level software drum machine Groove Agent SE (“SE” most probably for “Starter Edition”, its current VST3 plugin version is: 5.1.11, also including its function as a standalone application since version 5.0.50), which comes and runs with any of the five versions of Cubase (Pro, Artist, Elements, AI, LE).

Inside SDA, that additional (free) content is not being linked to the Groove Agent SE 5 installer, but inside the Cubase category (as an ISO image file).

I’ve made you a list of all the Groove Agent SE 5 content (as registered in Library Manager).
Hope this will be helpful:

[Groove Agent SE 5 Content - Dec. 2022] [ISO file: 6.025680 GB]

Allan Morgan Signature Drums

• FCP_SMT_122_Groove_Agent_SE_AM_Drums.vstsound [v3] [1.057476 GB}

GA SE Rock Pop Toolbox Drums

• FCP_SMT_153_GASE_Rock_Pop_Toolbox_Drums.vstsound [v5] [876.921 MB]

Groove Agent ONE

• Groove Agent ONE 01.vstsound [v1] [86.765 MB]
  • Groove Agent ONE 02.vstsound [v1] [58.877 MB]
  • Groove Agent ONE 03.vstsound [v1] [39.939 MB]

Groove Agent Factory Content (1 file, other ones only with GA full version)

• FCP_SMT_146_GA_Studio_Kit_Eco.vstsound [v3] [749.443 MB]

Groove Agent SE Factory Content

• FCP_SMT_137_Groove_Agent_SE.vstsound [v6] [189.690 MB]
  • FCP_SMT_152_GASE_Acoustic_Studio_Kit.vstsound [v4] [41.672 MB]

Laser Beams

• FCP_SMT_779_GASE_Laser_Beams.vstsound [v5] [192.449 MB]
  • FCP_SMT_780_GASE_Laser_Beams_Instruments.vstsound [v5] [3.693 MB]

Production Grooves

• FCP_SMT_214_Production_Grooves.vstsound [v2] [577.162 MB]
  • FCP_SMT_215_Production_Grooves_Kits.vstsound [v2] [4.746 MB]

The Kit SE

• FCP_SMT_775_GASE_The_Kit_SE_Presets.vstsound [v4] [39.382 MB]