DPC Latency problems

If you have 13600k, then it has 6 p-cores and 12 threads. So you need to add FFF value there.
If you add all I described, then when you launch Cubase via this shortcut it automatically will run it only on 6 p-cores (12 threads).

Hello, one thing had made a lot of difference for me:

Because I have 16 GB of RAM and only SSDs in my Laptop, I thought I didn’t need a swap file, but I had latency problems.

Since I defined a swap file of 8 GB I have no latency problems.

Ok, I found very interesting behavior on my 12700K and related to DPC.
I use High Performance Windows Power Plan and I had manually disabled CPU Core Parking.
Today I turned back it to Core Parking On - and my DPC and interrupt to process latency went completely awful! It went to 15k-20k microseconds and was super unstable.
So it seems that Alder Lake and Raptor Lake could have issues with DPC latency when CPU Core Parking is enabled - which is by default in Windows.
Those of you who have DPC issues on Alder Lake or Raptor Lake - you can try manually disable Core Parking and check if it helps for you too!
Here is video how to perform it:

I hope this could help someone with DPC latency issues.

Same here. Built new system on december 2022 (i7-13700K, 32gb ddr5 5600mhz, asus z790) with Win 11. Dpc latency howered around 5-15 ms constantly. Had even a pc building company to test the setup with different configs. They could not get dpc to stay below 1000 us. Installed fresh Win 10 and dpc is staying around 150 us ever since. Rocking Motu 828es with 64 buffer every project with no problems. Win 11 is a joke!

A late response:

I arrived here after trying to diagnose awful performance recently on my Win 11 Cubase 12 i7 12700K 64 G PCIe4 2TB nVMe machine. I tried setting affinities, this had no effect on this machine (Gigabyte MB). However, going into the BIOS and setting a “gaming” setting to disable all E cores has so far worked a treat. Messing with setting parking to off made matters worse (again, on this machine). Just reporting this for those who have the problem.

While Steinberg do have a responsibility to sort this out, the real culprits IMHO are Intel, who have added a whole lot of clunky Atom Cores, totally inadequate for RTP, to try to compete with AMD without melting the CPU, and Intel/Microsoft for not providing a suitable RTP-capable version of Thread Director in the kernel.
I do hope this gets fixed, it’s over a year in already though. Anyway, my 8 cores/16 threads work much better for Cubase than the 12 cores/20 threads. It benchmarks slower, but performs faster.

JR

Win11/Ryzen5/16GB
This is my latest LatencyMon reading, and so far, it’s the best I’ve had. These are my pre-Cubase actions:

1. Disable Defender.
  2. Disable WiFi.
  3. Apply Wise memory Optimizer.

Before that, there were the usual culprits - Disable laptop audio card, Max power settings, disable most startup programs, etc. I also changed my firewall from TinyWall to SimpleWall because it works better and has a lighter RAM footprint.

Today I disabled core parking after problems with latency on my 13900k and I tested 5 times and it really helps. I have minimal latencys around 50micros.
Thank you for good advice!

1 Like

Your’e welcome :slight_smile:
Less hassle with DPC, more music making :upside_down_face:

If anybody using Nvidia GeForce RTX 30 series cards (Ampere) then latest driver 536.67 have finally fixed DPC issues.

Fixed General Bugs:

• Increase in DPC latency observed in Latencymon for Ampere-based GPUs [3952556]

Oh… hope that they will do the same for GTX 1660…

Worked for my 1650
Nivdia claim to have solved DPC issues with latest deriver - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

2 Likes