DPC Latency problems

Please help! Windows 11. I have a power PC with 128 Gb RAM. 18-Core 3.00 GHz Intel Core i9-10980XE
All drivers updated! High Performance and PowerSettingsExplorer also doen’t work for me!! All to 100%
I really don’t know what I need to do in this situation…

So, nobody? :frowning:

I don’t know if this will help you, but I had a big latency problems on my new Pc (I7 12700k, 32gb 3600 DDR4, MSI Tomahawk z690 motherboard). It turns out it was something within windows 11 and I couldn’t find out what was causing it. I tried every possible thing, all the tweaks, all the latest drivers, bios etc… but it didn’t help. I switched back to windows 10 and everything is fine since.

3 Likes

So are people only having this issue with cubase or other DAWS🤔

I don’t want to leave cubase but if I have to get a project done then I have no choice lol

To help with computer/performance issues:

I found this thread (with references to “Part 2”, and “Part 3”) https://gearspace.com/board/music-computers/1343419-windows-10-audio-worksation-build-tweak-guide.html very informative.

Also, Robin Vincent has some excellent points to consider, found in his vids on Microsoft Surface Pro tweaks (youtube, Molten Music), including re: Power Schemes.

Other things I do to keep LatencyMon values down, and performance good (I have a music computer built in 2014, other specs in my profile) and run C12 Pro in small to medium size projects without a lot of problems) is turn off WiFi, VPN, real-time cloud storage (OneDrive), Bluetooth, Malwarebytes real-time security.

I’ve tried disabling the built in W10 security (Defender?), but have stopped doing that as it’s such a pain, and i didn’t really notice much difference.

Also, there’s a pinned thread up top of the Cubase forum with some good ideas.

I hope these are helpful in getting your system up!

Hello, what is the best version of Windows for composer? Pro or home? And 10 or 11?
Really want to know your thoughts.
Thanks!

I have 11 Pro. I don’t see a reason to be on the older version, and I think it’s a bit easier to manage updates on the Pro version.

1 Like

The principle differences between Pro and Home are Bitlocker encryption, some aspects of security and Virtualisation technology.
TL;DR
Most of those are enterprise technologies and/or software engineering ones (Bitlocker being the primary exception) not relevant to composing.

Longer explanation:
I would argue that None of these have a purpose for a composer. Bitlocker would most likely add latency to sample streaming though the hardware acceleration these days is quite stunning for such encryption. The same applies to virtualisation for security (mostly in Windows 11) which with 9th Gen or more recent Intel processors has progressively decreasing performance hits (so much so in 12th Gen or so you’d never notice).

At this moment I have Windows 11 Home and have big problem with the latency… Latencymon show me the window driver problem and I can’t figure out it. Thinking about Pro version and maybe 10…

Very unlikely the Pro version would help at all, or even windows 10.

Graphics driver is usually the most common cause. With NVIDIA for example it will every now and then go through a phase of being a pain in which case down or upgrade usually fixes it.

Check this one. And my post here. It’s not Nvidia

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/dpc-latency-from-ntoskrnl-sys-in-windows-10-1903/130487/10

ouch, not seen that before!

Try to disable Windows Memory Integrity feature in Core Isolation tab, check if it will help you. Also DAWs are usually prefer higher clock speeds with more powerful cores itself instead of server type CPUs, as those have lots of cores but single thread performance itself is relatively poor.

3 Likes

Also type System Information in windows start menu, check if Virtualization Based Security is also disabled after you disabled Memory Integrity. I know that those are kinda neat security features, but unfortunately they introduce latency and degrade CPU performance because they are implemented in very specific way in Windows.

Please check:

• If there are any issues in Windows Device Manager with device conflicts or any appeared warnings/errors
  • Check your motherboard vendor support website for latest driver updates
  • Check if there are new Intel Management Engine firmware and BIOS updates for your motherboard
  • Check your BIOS settings if you have enabled XMP profile for your RAM and other BIOS settings which could affect CPU and system performance - Turbo Boost, C-states, Power mode etc…
  • run in Windows Command Promt as admin each of those commands:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

• In Windows Control Panel go to power settings and check your High Performance power Plan sub settings:
    CPU power management minimum and maximum processor state is set both to 100%
    PCI Express Link Power Management is set to Off
    disabled USB selective suspend
    set Hard Disk turn off to never
  • Also try to uncheck in Cubase Power Plan and instead use only Windows High Performance Power plan.
  • Try to check latency settings in your audio interface ASIO panel and set to 128, 256 or 512 samples and check if that minimizes problem
  • Try to download and run Windows Latency Monitor application to see if issues persists.

I hope some of that could help you.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Will try!

DPC latency issues are a problem with your system. You’ll likely have issues when trying to work with any low latency audio application if these go unresolved.

1 Like

I am in the same boat: Brand new pc with extremely bad results in LatencyMon after following every possible setting/tweak/advise. Was it my Mobo (MSI PRO Z690-A)? Was it the memory (DDR5) ?CPU (Intel i5-13600k)? High latency came from Windows drivers (i am on WIN 11 Pro) , latest updates… Then i stumbled into forums discussions about this hybrid Core technology that W11 uses and finally a topic in Steinberg support: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/8412891538066-Performance-issues-on-Intel-Core-12th-gen-or-newer-hybrid-architecture-CPUs
So i followed the instructions and disabled the E-cores from the BIOS as well as any Turbo boost, EIST, C-state etc technology that is supposed to make things better. And voila ! the latency is gone !
Now i wonder why i spent a large amount of money and be left to work with only 6 cores. I hope Steinberg sorts this out soon

I honestly think that its not great idea to disable all E-cores in BIOS as you will loose a lot of multi-threaded performance especially in other background tasks and processes.
I have 12700K on Z690 mobo and to be honest I dont have any dpc/performance issues in Cubase which people experience on forum. I specially checked on my heavy project with around 200 tracks, a lot of VSTi such as Omnisphere, Kontakt, Serum, Cube and others instances, with tons plugins such as Acustica, iZotope, FabFilter as well there. And all that works totally fine with 256 sample buffer. And in Windows Task Manager Cubase in my case use all 8 performance cores and most time E-cores are just doing nothing or some minor OS stuff/processes.
I hope there will be some improvements and updates to Windows 11 thread director so those issues will be resolved for all guys experiencing now those issues with P-core and E-core CPU and OS mess in Cubase.

1 Like

Please check my guide on how you can run Cubase with permanent CPU affinity on only P-Cores:

You dont need to disable E-cores in BIOS.

2 Likes

Hi Arlicht, thanks for your suggestions. I will give it a try although i don’t fully understand these HEX figures and the number of my CPU cores are different to yours.
The fact remains that Steinberg recommends us to avoid the new processors for the time being.