Drag and Drop Media Bay to VSTi

The site administer argues in this thread that Cubase 6 permits drag and drop from the Media Bay to a hosted VSTi.

Please see his comments below.

My conclusions:

1. This is not drag and drop from Cubase. This is drag and drop from explorer or finder. I didn’t need Media Bay for this. I could have simply browsed through my sample folders for the file.

2. All the extra steps of making sure what window is visible and highlighted or not, simply shows how convoluted and unuser friendly the process is.

3. Right clicking on a file in Media Bay as described below, is not drag and drop, but simply copying the file to a different folder open on your desktop. Hey, it was already in a directory on your computer … or how else would Media Bay have found it, right?

4. Drag and drop from Cubase should mean that I can drag and drop from Media Bay … if that is what I want to use … directly to any hosted VSTi in the exact manner I can do with, for an example, Loopmash.

5. Cubase should not claim this functionality with respect to the current way it operates, since in any normal understanding of ‘drag and drop,’ it does not have drag and drop functionality for hosted VSTi instruments.

6. It is not the worst thing in the world not to have it. Cubase has many stellar features and on the whole remains my preferred DAW. But it is not a good thing to argue you have a feature that you do not have.

Como

Of course this works in Cubase 5.5.2 as well and as far as I know even in earlier versions.

Set you VSTi to “Always On Top” then–>

• Search for the Sample in the Media Bay
    • Right click on it and choose “Show in explorer/Finder”.
    • Drag the sample to your VSTi

I have to add something to my workflow description because there is indeed a slight irregularity regarding the explorer and the GUI of the VSTi that I did not consider when writing that description:

Make sure that the Cubase window and the explorer window are not covering each other up so you must drag the window border of Cubase to the side a bit.
I always drag the right border to the left a bit and have the explorer on the right side of my screen already setup. When the explorer window opens you must click back to the Cubase window one time to highlight it. The Cubase window must be highlighted and you must click directly on the sample file and drag it to battery. That most definitely works and the usecase of dragging a sample to a VSTi is covered. This is a quick way to drag together your own kits and to throw together some samples. Apart from that you even have the OS’s features regarding the file handling and sorting because the finder and the explorer are integrated in that workflow and they add the OS’s functionality that may even be extendable with OS specific add ons. Try it and see how it works, you’ll appreciate this method. The method is quick and works very well. Its click, click, drag, drag, done.

To correct my describtion and add the details:

1. Search for the Sample in the Media Bay
  2. Drag right Cubase window border to the left a bit
  3. Have the Explorer/finder already setup to open on the right side of the Cubase window border
  4. In the MediaBay right click on the sample and choose “Show in explorer/Finder”. (If you do this the first time now is the time to drag the explorer window to the right and setup the position as describe in step 3.)
  5. Click on the Cubase Window again to highlight it
  6. Drag the sample(s) to your VSTi by directly clicking on the files and dragging them. Do not click on the explorer/finder window to highlight it.
    Done

If you work with this method a bit you will get used to it and find that dragging a sample that you have looked up in the MediaBay to a VSTi becomes an intuitive piece of cake.

For anybody that would like to discuss drag n drop or the functionality I am referring to I would suggest to start a new thread. The hostile tone and attitude that is displayed in the OP and some other posts in this thread is not the way to go and is not ideal for heading towards constructive assessment. A factual objective thread would be more reasonable to assess if the actual usecases that are desired are covered or not. Regarding quick drag and drop to a VSTi they are.

Gr,
JHP
Support Knowledge Base | Steinberg on MySpace · Youtube · Twitter · Facebook | Sequel on MySpace

JHP
Site Admin

· Private message

I should add that even a common implementation like ‘open containing folder’ on a right click menu option from Media Bay would be a significant improvement.

Como

Como Baila, Junior Member, Posts: 124, Joined: 16 Dec 2010 01:54, :slight_smile: you added my post count and joindate to the quote. I never put that under my greetings. :slight_smile:

The site administer argues in this thread that Cubase 6 permits drag and drop from the Media Bay to a hosted VSTi.

???
I never did… :neutral_face:

I should add that even a common implementation like ‘open containing folder’ on a right click menu option from Media Bay would be a significant improvement.

Como

You mean the Cubase function that I was writing about and already is there, it’s called “Show in explorer/finder”.
DragNDropToVSTi_A.gif
This is what is happening in the gif:
For Windows there is also the taskbar method:

• Search for the Sample in the Media Bay
    • Right click on it and choose “Show in explorer/Finder”.
    • Drag the sample to the windows taskbar onto the Cubase task so the window highlights again, do not release yet, and when the Cubas window is highlighted then drag to your VSTi and release.

After seeing the gif you might want to reconsider some of the points you are trying to make.

To not have two threads on the same topic, let’s continue a discussion on this functionality here:

Let’s not have two threads going on the same subject. :wink:

Gr,
JHP

@JHP

I’d be happy to follow the other thread from here forward. I note that this thread was started before the other and in response to your request to start a new thread on this topic.

I stand corrected about ‘copy’ to a folder.

But I don’t think any of my other points are changed. If Cubase can accept drag and drop midi files from hosted 3rd party plugins like Stylus RMX or Toontrack products, it’s hard to understand why it shouldn’t work the other way. That is, taking an audio or midi file from Media Bay directly to a VSTi.

Como