Dual screen - HOW?

I had to enable aero DWM to make c8 work. With c7.5 I had it disabled.
I don’t get it… My projects don’t open on 2 monitors on C8.
Pre C8 window was supposed to be not maximized, and then grey background was stretched over 2 screens top fit entire dual desktop. But I cannot do that with C8. I see my windows desktop all the time, C8 is just a toolbar at upper edge on the first screen. If I maximize c8, I get grey background, but only on the first screen, on the second screen I see windows desktop.
How to make c8 background over both screens? How to make it so that older projects open correctly over 2 screens?

You cannot run two separate screens as one screen. You have to span the grey background of the DAW in the two screens to have both used by the DAW. If you maximize one window, it’ll only appear in one screen (you can choose wich). Other way is to have the windows as floating windows.

agilkds, I cannot span grey background over two screens anymore in c8. All windows are now as separate processes. On win taskbar it is like each window (mixer, vst performance, media bay…) would be separate program, they all have their own instances.

I have dual monitors - set up in control panel/display/screen resolution as monitor 1 & 2. (1920*1080). Both screens are working as usual

The Aero thing has thrown me. Like you I also have a lone menu bar for Cubase, which I can park anywhere - strange…

I can use the Cubase pro bar in either window

to early to tell here…

Z

Dual screens working as normal here, arrange on left, mix on right and, the plugins stay on top, at last! Loving it so far :slight_smile:

C8 menu bar here always docks to top of the screen, without grey Cubase background. If I drag it toward center, it snaps back to top.
I was able to get my layout back as it was by loading Main workspace. I can see windows desktop inbetween plugin windows now, there is no more grey Cubase background. Which is ok too, as long as I can see all the stuff on both screens. It’s just a bit funny to see win desktop instead grey Cubase background.
But this has it great plus. Before if one plugin window went off screen a bit, immediately those scroll bars appeared. Now you can drag plugin off screen, and there is no scrollbars anymore. Much better imo.

Just double-click on the top bar and the grey background will fill the left-hand screen. I’m glad I found this - I hate having to see the distracting Windows desktop behind my Project window.

I’m having lots of trouble with my ‘Autohide’ taskbar though - it now keeps hiding behind Cubase. This hasn’t happened before C8.

Can we have an option to turn off this new Windows behaviour? I liked it as it was!

Ugh! Now I’ve discovered that I can’t minimise/maximise Cubase with one click any more - this is starting to look like a dog’s dinner. Not good…

PLEASE steinberg - just put it back as it was.

No please don’t put it back. I can now have the score floated on a separate screen to the project window which I could not do in previous versions (PC)

Dave

Love the new layout!

Old blokes like me need our comforting desktops for inspiration. Currently have a 3 monitor panorama of cornwall, all sunny and open, sitting quietly behind my bit of piano composition.

Perfect!

@The Elf - thanks for the double-click trick. Was wondering how to loose that stray background.

Just upgraded, and not being able to span the grey background two second screen is giving me the shits. Did they fix this? I don’t want to see my desktop (on second screen) and don’t want to have to change background to grey and move my icon to other screen. I understand people like it but I don’t at least give us the option.

If you have an AMD card that can use their Eyefinity utility, you can assign multiple windows to appear to be one contiguous window to the OS and programs.

If you have an nVidia card, you may be able to use their nVidia Surround/PhysX utility to do the same.

There should also be third-party utilities that do the same.

Of course, you have to be willing for the altered setup to be used for other of the uses you have for your computer.

Another option is to use virtual desktops (e.g., Dexpot from http://www.dexpot.de/)
Create a desktop with no icons and the colour of your choice.
Then simply switch back to the main desktop when you are finished with cubase.

That doesn’t increase the amount of pixels that can be viewed at once for the same program.

You cannot put parts of Cubase or plugins on different virtual desktops, because Cubase is a one-in–all-in sort of program.

Patanjali I think you misunderstood my intentions here.

I was responding to sonicstate’s original question "How to make c8 background over both screens? " and his comment "I can see windows desktop inbetween plugin windows now, there is no more grey Cubase background. "
Having a desktop with no icons and the same background as C8 may have been more to his liking.
I don’t think I mentioned increasing the amount of pixels!

@MovingWaves,

I think it is pretty clear that sonicstate’s priority is having the Cubase background over two screens. The ONLY real reason to need that IS to increase the Cubase pixel area, so that Cubase’s non on-top windows can have a larger show-space.

The problem with virtual desktops is that all a program’s in-process windows – including its main window, toolbars, on-top windows and plugin UIs – can exist in only one virtual desktop, so they don’t address increasing the pixel-space usable by the program. jBridged plugins, being out-of-process to Cubase, may well be able to be on another virtual desktop.

Those AMD and nVidia facilities – mainly intended to increase the effective display area for making games immersive – are designed to be subliminal to the OS and running programs, making them see the combined screens as if they are actually a single screen, so that standard Windows windows management features, like double-clicking a window’s caption bar to maximise it, will cover all the monitors defined as that ‘screen’. Basically, if the video driver can fool the OS into thinking it is one screen, programs like Cubase won’t be any wiser.

The downside is that with an even number of monitors allocated to a virtual screen, prompts and dialogs may straddle monitors, which is a PITA.

The Autohide should work fine in 8.0.20 as it does for me.
Minimise is one right click on the menu bar = minimise all.

I rum 3 monitors with the arrange page locked to the left monitor, the menubar in the middle with vst’s or edit pages and the mixer on the right. I have saved a couple of workspaces and I am as happy as Larry. I never see the desktop unless I want to.

You are responding to a post I made way back in December last year. Autohide was fixed pretty quickly. Steinberg have continued to fix a lot of the things I was having trouble with. 8.0.30 is a huge improvement.

I’m not a fan of the new non-standard window behaviours. The disappearing non-standard menu bar is a constant pain currently, for example. Over time I think Steinberg may come to regret some of these maverick decisions.

@Patanjali
As I said “Another Option” its not perfect but…
I fully understand the limitations.

Silly me! I must learn to look at the date.

Did you ever find a way to have the grey work space span both monitors?