EBU R128 Loudness Recommendation

Are there any plans to include the new loudness metering developments from the EBU R128 Loudness Recommendation into Wavelab? This could be included in the metering as well as in the loudness normalization tool of Wavelab.
Here is a link to further infos on this topic:

http://tech.ebu.ch/Jahia/site/tech/cache/bypass/events/webinar_loudness1;jsessionid=13189D5B167B3B016B2C81F052133DBB.jahia1/cache/off?id=13224

This is a topic under consideration, yes.

This is a topic under consideration, yes.

This will be much appreciated!

Thank you PG!

Jean

Great! Is there a chance it could make it into 7.2 already?
As far as loudness normalization is concerned: It could be a good idea to be able to put a plugin like a compressor or limiter of one’s own choice in the chain and of course it would be good to be able to set the average loudness to one’s own choice and not necessarily to -23 LUFS.

No, 7.2 is closed now.

Have you tried PPMulator?

Have you tried NUGEN VisLM ?

Jean

Thanks for the hints Neil and Jean, I will check out both.

I’m a big fan of PPMulator- highly recommended.

Full disclosure, I beta tested for it because I really needed a R128 meter and Z-plane did a great job with it.

Hi Phillipe,

it would be great if WL could offer something like this:

http://www.nugenaudio.com/LMB_Loudness_batch_processor.php

At the moment tools for file based R 128 loudness management softwares are rare and rather expensive.

Ollie

it would be great if WL could offer something like this

Oh yes, I fully support this request !!!

Jean

Then top marks on a good job well done.
I use this all the time now, especially in 5.1 mixes.

I think it is time again to ask “Are there any plans to include the new loudness metering developments from the EBU R128 Loudness Recommendation into Wavelab?”

Since Philippe answered some month ago “This is a topic under consideration, yes.” we still are hoping for an integration of EBU R128 into Wavelab.

I just read in the nuendo forum:

R128 metering is on schedule for Nuendo 6, fully integrated with extensive metering functions and possibilities to switch between various measurement methods. We may be able to even release an intermediate solution before Nuendo 6 hits the market in order to provide support to those who already need to deliver in R128-compliant norm

by TimoWildenhain 04 Apr 2012 11:43

Philippe, could you give us some update on this subject as far as WaveLab is concerned?
Will Normalizing according to EBU R128 be possible?

Best regards
Jean

This will be part of next version.

Thank you Philippe for the quick reply!

This will be part of next version.

7.3 or 8 ?

Jean

8 (no 7.3 planned)

ok 8!

Since this doesn’t seem to be tomorrow,
I think it is appropriate to start a discussion and wishlist in this thread about how and what to implement concerning
EBU R128 for WaveLab 8!

Jean

Too late, users that need to deliver according to R128 need the tools/meters now, other users will not look at this and will not need to spend money on the feature.

Ollie

I need it now.
Is there a good one available for free?

I don’t know; but presumably you pay for essential tools when necessary? I find PPMulatorXL does a good job (includes standalone and plugin versions) for a not excessive cost.

Paul