Elicense, soft-license, USB-license, activation code, reactivation code, reactivation license....WTF!

I have several times. Doesn’t work. I keep going in circles. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or if it is now simply FUBARed!
By this point, I’ve tried so many times I’m not sure which numbers go where or why…hence the title of the thread.

Maybe a video can help:

Having exactly the same problem trying to reinstall LE8 after Windows 10 upgrade. Did you manage to get up and running - and what was the solution. Ive been at this for days of a d on and reckoned contacting you is quicker than waiting for help from support (my most recent reply was as good as a screenshot of what I’ve already tried). I’m seriously considering dumping it and finding alternative DAW.

Can you be a bit more specific about the exact nature of your problem, @Norduser? I’m not sure exactly what problem you’re having and what steps you’ve taken to try to solve it.

I had to upgrade my Laptop Window System 10 and subsequently had to reinstall my Cubase LE8 (which I got 2015ish - when purchasing a Zoom R16 audio recording mixer). On reinstalling the my LE8 Software - I go to my e- licence software to get the new soft e-liscence code that I need to enter in “my Steinberg” to get a new Activation Code. The problem is the soft e-licence code is just the one I had previously - that is when I go into “my Steinberg” the soft - eLicence code is the same as the one listed on the bottom field for my old code. I have checked that my software etc are registered on my Steinnberg account. Many thanks for your help

That video just adds to the confusion, sorry.

So much for the people that claim e-license works for “the vast majority of users”.
My sugestion: Steinberg should tell new clients, that they need to take an “e-licenser aktivation, reaktivation course”, before even downloading the demo version. Otherwise they will have to do the course anyway, but the “hard way”.

I have to say how discouraged I felt, when trying to convince long-time Sibelius users to give Dorico a try, and they wouldn’t be able to get through the install process… Not every potential user is a computer nerd. It’s painful because the program is such a joy to use.

4 Likes

Absolutely Mark, last week I had endless problems, although, not being a nerd, I´m pretty good with my PC systems.
In the moment, Dorico will only start as admin. Cubase won´t start ( I already dumped it for Overture 5, the loop function is awesome). I don´t even want to touch the e-licenser in case it takes me “for a ride”. My Dorico is now open, working fine, but it keeps popping the message I just posted.
If Dorico weren´t such " a joy to use" as u mentioned, I would have dumped it too.
And I have Dorico since more than 2 years.

My sound engineer is getting this error suddenly. Thing I don’t understand is because they’re my (company) licenses I’ve got him with a dongle? How does the eLicensor factor into this, and how do we fix?

3dc6c419-90d3-463b-b1d0-4fad97bdc0c9

If you click the Reactivate button in MySteinberg and choose the existing Soft-eLicenser, it should spit out a new Cubase LE 8 activation code. But you’re saying that it shows you the same activation code again?

If the licenses are on the USB-eLicenser, then you don’t need to worry. But some components of the system hardware configuration have presumably changed to the point that the Soft-eLicenser now thinks it has been copied from another system.

1 Like

Hello Daniel. I have a reply from Fleming Sass (Steinberg Technologies) explaining after unistalling the version I have (which I’m positive is the correct LE8). Anyway ;

"After you’ve done this, install the right version:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/unsupported_products/cubase/cubase_8.html

After doing so, there is no need to activate your license in the eLicenser Control Center again, as it has already been activated."

All seem so simple now - If I had only known - seems I’ve had a whole lot of hastle for nothing.

Thanks for your help

Nothing works for me, I am deleting/uninstalling everything that has a Steinberg name on it, will try to reinstall, if it fails, then I will dump Steinberg for good, enough is enough.