EQ and High Cut Resonances

Does anyone know which causes more resonances about the cutoff curves? EQ or the High Cut?

[Mod Edit - insults are not welcome]

Cheers.

I really don’t understand your question… Can you please elaborate?

Every filter cut has a some peak resonances around the filter freq. For the Hi Cut, it will have a bump (upwards) right above the selected freq. This differs from every Eq.

I think the OP is asking where and how big they are with the Cubase filters. But I have never seen the numbers. Even the slope I’m not sure of (not adjustable).

Maybe I still don’t get it, but can’t you just see the ‘bump’ you call it in the Equalizer itself?

No, it’s the internal phasing/ringing in the filters.

I guess he means the filters in the Pre Section.

An eq curve doesn’t have to have a resonant frequency unless it’s boosted at its roll-off/cutoff point so I believe what you’re looking for is the slope of the cutoff which I’d imagine is around 12-18db per octave; it doesn’t sound very steep on the high cut/low cut(wish it we’re highpass and lowpass).

all EQ cuts create signature frequency resonances about the cutoff point. what i want to know is how large the High Cut resonances are in comparison to the strip EQ cut curve resonances on say the paramteric EQ 1 in cubase 7?

sorry, i meant the pre-fader EQ, not the strip EQ. theyre the same anyway just at different locations in the process chain. but just so we’re clear.

over -24db (per octave) “High slope”.
Its little to much if you ask me. It were better if you can control the “slope setting” and the “DB”.
If you have graphic audio spectrum analyzer (I have) you can measure it. Its over 24db cut.

Here you have a better gentle filter “Brainworx Cleansweep_v2” (6 dB per octave) and its 100% free.

http://www.plugin-alliance.com/tl_files/products/bx_cleansweep_v2/bx_cleansweep_v2_img_01.png

Best Regards
Freddie

so just to be clear freddie, youre saying that there are less frequency resonances about the cut off slope of a gentle parametric EQ in the pre-fader EQ, as oppposed to the High Cut?

just to clarify, its not the rate of decrease of the High Cut i want to know, nor do i want to know the rate of cut of the steepest slope on the parametric EQ on the pre-fader. what i want to know is the amount of increase of the FREQUENCY RESONANCES which occur about the cutoff curves of the High Cut and EQ cut curves respectively, in cubase 7. reason being is that i want to use the one that has THE LEAST FREQUENCY RESONANCES ABOUT THE CUTOFF SLOPE.

Why don’t you just use the one that sounds the best?

The behavior you are talking about is inherent to analog circuitry. I don’t think a software EQ has to have this unless the programmer has specifically modeled the filter that way. This is why you see so many plugins that model vintage EQs. I haven’t seen any documentation from Steinberg indicating the exact frequency curve of their filter algorithms. But this is something you can see in several decent free EQ plugins’ manuals when they are describing the analog equipment they’ve been programmed to emulate.

Perhaps you can use pink noise and the real time analyzer to determine the effects of any resonance in the filters.

(just tagging topic)

its looking like this is a question for the cubase customer services. once i hear back from them ill post the reply here so you can all learn from this too.

from cubase customer services

Hello,

the low and high cuts in the Pre section are different to the ones in the EQ section.
The Pre filters have a 24dB slope, whereas the filters in the EQ section are 12dB, if I remember correctly.
Theoretically, the Pre filter should have more resonance around the cut-off frequency because of the steepness of the curve. But I do believe these are straight digital filters, thus having little resonance, as opposed to filters that emulate analogue designs.

Of the two pass filters in the EQ section, Type II should have a little more resonance as to my knowledge it has a higher Q factor.

I asked the developer to check that what I wrote above is correct, as the EQ filters’ slopes are not mentioned in our documentation. I’ll confirm later today when I get a reply.

For the most part I do what Scab said: I use what that sounds the best in the situation at hand.

But the the tech-head in me are also very curious about the technical side of things. so…

Thank you for reporting back.

+1

Good to know.

+1

Hi all,

for those interested, I confirm that the filters in the EQ section are 12dB and that the response received and posted by “mbbx5aw2” is correct, except for the difference between the two EQ section filter types.
Please read the details below:

Type II reacts to Q-factor and can be adjusted to a very high resonance, Type I reacts to Gain, with a rather subtle resonance. That is for compatibilty reasons. Type II was introduced with StudioEQ. Type I is the old Channel-EQ.

For small values of resonance they can be set to be (almost) identical, for example:
Type I Highpass: Gain 0 dB, 1 kHz, Q 1
Type II Highpass: Gain 0 dB, 1 kHz, Q 4.1

Hope this helps.