Export MIDI without CC data (to use in any DAW)

Hello,
I would like to export the MIDI data from a piece I’ve written using DORICO and import it in my DAW. The problem is that it usually comes with a lot of CC data I don’t need (and, actually, it can mess the project).

I don’t know if it’s possible, but it looks like a not very complicated thing:

• Exporting MIDI without any CC data. Just the basics (note length, velocity)

What I would like to achieve is to import the midi track directly to my DAW in order to go on working with the piece in there. Sometimes is better recording it again, but I wish I could do this for the more mechanical passages (or the runs) as I can’t play them (and a keyboard is not a flute, for instance).

I don’t know if it’s possible to do it right now.

My workaround is normal export, import and then delete the MIDI CC data from any track. However, this method has this latter step, which I think could be avoided.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’ve no idea what the Dev team might come up with, but off hand those are driven by expression maps - as well as a setting in preferences that allows you to include (or not) any that are entered from your keyboard if you happened to play them in.

So… if you created a “no expression” blank expression map that didn’t even have CC for dynamics - then there should be no CC in the export and be pretty much what you want?

Hello @reztes ,
I posted the very same request before. There is a temp solution on this issue provided by Daniel Spreadbury.
Here is the topic:

I hope they will do something to implement the needed options to exclude MIDI data! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also would like to see this, and ideally without the humanization that Dorico adds.

Use the SE soundset, and double check that all the instruments are set to use the ‘default’ expression map (for some reason a few of them default to mod wheel dynamics and make a mess. I.E. Trombone…sounds a mess pumping vibrato instead of volume controls).

You’ll still get some CC7 events I think, for the hair pin dynamics and such, but no key-switches, CC11, CC1, or other extraneous CC events an expression map might use.

Personally I like having the general dynamics exported. It makes it easier for me to see where things are supposed to crescendo and such over in the DAW. Of course I end up rescaling and changing it around, but it makes it easy to see more or less what was on the score.

If you like, you can skip swapping to the SE soundset, and just change the expression maps.

Dorico adds timing and velocity humanization, beyond general dynamics.

This is in the free edition (until there’s a convenient way to use my license on my studio machine and laptop). I believe in Pro there are Playback options to eliminate this humanization, but not in free. So it involves re-quantizing timing and velocity. There’s also program changes and bank select. There’s just some MIDI cleanup to do. It just would be nice if Dorico could export the MIDI notes represented by the score, with nothing else.