Fades on Musical Mode audio events trigger glitches

Thank you for doing the phase test ! If done properly, you should only have a low level bleed and audible artefacts at the start of events. Is that what you get ? It can also make a phasing effect depending on various parameters. But again, only if you have used time/pitch processing. You say it isn’t the case.

Just to be sure, if you are talking about very short high frequency clicks, that’s probably because your events directly start or end with a high value sample. It you cut your events with the split tool you need the Snap to Zero Crossing to be enabled. This will cut the audio at a 0 sample.
If not, then you must add fades or edit manually.

I’m getting a bit of a phasing effect, some bleed, and of course that pop - but yes, I don’t have any processing on the troublesome audio event.

Yes, it’s a very short high frequency click, and having the sample start at a non-zero-crossing was my first suspicion, which is why I put a fairly long fade in onto the audio event, but that made no difference.

Do the click happen only one time and between 1 and 2 seconds after pressing Play ?

Yes, that’s exactly what happens!

I can’t manage to make it happen reliably, but the causes are pitch/time processing for sure. I’ll keep digging.
To @Martin.Jirsak : Can you eventually give your opinion about the issue ?

Edit : I’ve found an easy way to make it occur.
Cut an event in three parts in a way that the 1.5 sec mark where the click is supposed to happen is within the second part.
Select all the parts, transpose, put the cursor before the events and press play.
The particular click should happen after roughly 1.5 seconds. Just ignore the artefacts at split points. The “click” should resemble this (I’ve lined the spectrogram with the actual waveform for more convenience)

The click only happens once after a Stop state. Cycling or moving the cursor during playback won’t make it happen a second time. Also starting playback too close to the second event doesn’t seem to trigger the click.
The click may be louder with Pitch algorithms than it is with Time, but it all depends on the audio material.

I’m going to keep digging and isolate my issue as well, since in my case, this is happening exactly as described, however, it is happening with a plain vanilla audio part, no time or pitch processing involved, which makes this bug even more concerning. As I said, unless I can figure out how to make this go away, it is preventing me from releasing a composition I’ve been working on.

It turns out that in my case, the click is due to the Amp Simulator stock plugin inserted into the channel and activated. When I deactivate that plugin, the click disappears. Next step for me is to see if I can change parameters in that plugin to prevent the click since it is part of the processing I need for that track.

I can confirm that Amp Simulator can cause loud clicks.
On my part I’ve found that when playback is stopped and the cursor is placed before the event, changing amp type or tweaking drive amount will cause a click on the event’s first non-zero sample. Yes, that is very specific. If the samples values are 0, there is nothing to be amplified.
If the samples have a value other that 0, even if those values are very low (let’s say -125 dB noise), they will be amplified. Any guitarist know what even the slightest noise sounds like at high gain. Here the same happens.
The click seems to occur only one time per settings tweak, even if you stop and play again.
I’ve also got some occasional loud clicks while changing amp/cabinet during playback, but that may be caused by the plugin loading new files which creates a dropout on a non-zero crossing point.

I believe this is probably linked to an issues i’ve raised over the last few years.
Musical mode anywhere in the project brings issues…
if you have cubase on a 1 beat loop, its basically unstable, chopping glitching and skipping…

It’s been about 4 years since i have been able to work on a 1 beat loop without issues while there is a channel with musical mode involved…

Just to close out this issue from my end: I simply put a small volume automation at the beginning of audio events that exhibit this issue. For some reason, doing a fade-in using the audio event fade-in handle within the audio event itself doesn’t fix the issue, but if you add a volume automation lane, and simply put the volume of the track with this issue at zero right around where the click happens, you can get rid of it.

I’d much rather not have those clicks in the first place, but this is a band-aid that works (for me).

Just keeping those topics alive. I don’t know if the devs are aware, but here’s another user describing the exact same issue :

1 Like

Also jumping in to back up Louis_R here in his attempts to draw attention to these issues.

this is a project-breaking issue for me. if i have a set of comped takes on a track (so, multiple short events cutting in and out in quick succession) and use audioWarp - the result is unlistenable because of the incredibly loud pops between cuts. And these pops will persist through into a bounced event. See attached example:

<edit - not quite sure how to attach audio file to post, apologies - but hopefully if you try this in your address bar, replacing the ‘dots’ and ‘colon’ with correct characters it’ll work>

https COLON //europe1 DOT discourse-cdn DOT com/steinberg/original/3X/c/a/cac7977b6734aa7092099d1a5ee14c4f0bd7c99e.mp3