Feature Request: ReWire/MTC

THANK YOU BRIAN!
The lack of re-wire sync has been one of the few things holding me back from going all out with Dorico on big orchestration jobs - it was a game changer for me when they incorporated it into Sibelius. I just bought the TXL plugin and tried it this morning on a small TV ad job, and it works beautifully! (Dorico 4) In several ways it possibly works even better than re-wire (NotePerformer syncs for one!). In fact about the only caveat is that you have to ensure that the Tempo/Meter maps are exactly the same - but that’s solved with a simple MIDI file export in either direction.

2 Likes

I cannot get Cubase 11.0.41 to slave to Dorico 4.0.31 on my updated Catalina iMac Pro by the methods described here no matter how I configure the TXL, the IAC Driver and Cubase . I just need transport control, no recording or audio. I think the 20 second offset doesn’t make this practical for occasional use anyways but thanks for your insight

Sorry, I don’t know much about a Mac, but if you have a virtual MIDI port properly configured, and have the TXL timecode directed to said output, and Cubase listening for the time code on said output; then, I see no reason why it wouldn’t work.

Check for step 2c in my post above.
c. Choose the timecode display option in the transport, DISABLE the tempo track, and click record on the Cubase transport. It turns red but nothing happens yet as the transport is waiting for some time code to tell it to move.

It’s not an issue at all. Adjust the offset in Cubase as described earlier in this thread.

Case in point: when you work with a code/stripe from an actual tape (audio or digital tapes), you have very little if any control over when the code begins…you get what you get and it’s super rare a tape actually begins at 00:00:00:00 [folks just shove a tape in and stripe it from a continuous sync box that might or might not get reset before hitting record]…sometimes you begin a project in the middle of a 3 hour tape; hence, ANY DAW capable of syncing to SMPTE, MTC, etc…should have the ability to offset so the DAW project ‘begins’ (00:00:00:00) at any relative time-code position from the sync-source that you like.

If you’re not recording audio that’s fine too. Record some MIDI event from Dorico the very first beat of the project into Cubase so you know precisely where on the timecode the project should begin. Make your offset in the DAW.

You could just have a temporary stave using your virtual MIDI port (same one you’re sending the time code over) with any note on the very first beat to get a ‘fix’ on things. Once you’re done sorting that out, just delete the stave. Write it down, and I’d be willing to bet that most projects will begin at pretty much the same spot from now on (if you change sample rates and stuff, or change the lead-in time in Dorico (possible for the sake of the built in video player), it ‘might’ have a small impact, but should be really close).

Once you’ve done it a few times, you’ll see the relationship and can pretty much wing it without taking a 1st beat marker.

I’m trying to use again the TXL Timecode plugin, but when I hit play in dorico the timecode will not run at all. It stays at 00:00:00.00 no matter what I do…

I have tried both dorico 4 and dorico 3.5. Version of TXL Timecode plugin is 2.10.

It will not even work on a project that I know worked earlier.

It seems that the problem is in the timecode plugin itself, but am I missing something simple? Shouldn’t the timecode run inside the plug-in when I start playback in dorico?

Could this be related to the fact that Dorico cannot (yet) send tempo information to VST plug-ins? Your case sounds similar if you are using an external Timecode plug-in.

I doubt that this is the reason, since it was working last time I tried it. I just do not remember how I got it working… :slight_smile:

I tried to install earlier versions of the timecode plugin, but unfortunately dorico still only shows the latest version (2.10). I could not locate and delete the 2.10 version of TXL timecode plugin from my mac, only thing I could find searching for it was the license file. Does someone know where exactly these kinds of plugins are typically installed on mac?

I managed to uninstall timecode plugin and install earlier version, but the problem still persists: the timecode in the plugin will not start running when I start the playback (both in dorico 3.5 and dorico 4).

Which OS are you on? I won’t be back in my studio until Monday when I can check on my system…Mac OS Mojave. I did have it working on D 3.5 about six months ago, but haven’t tried it recently, particularly with D 4.1, but I also need this to work for an upcoming project for which I plan to sync with Cubase.

I’m on Monterey, that might be the reason for the problems. I got a response from the developers of the plugin that they have received many reports of it not working lately.

I tried most of the combinations between dorico 3.5 and dorico 4 and different versions of the plugin but none of them worked for me. Therefore I suspect the reason might be that I have updated to macOS Monterey.

Okay,…I will definitely report back. I have a new Mac on back order which will come with Monterey so it is important to me for it to work properly. I did contact the developer of the TXL Timecode plug-in a few weeks ago to enquire whether it is M1 native or not…I got a reply to say that it should work fine but they didn’t have an M1 Mac to test it on… Hopefully the developer can keep working to fix the issues with this very useful plugin.

I got it working now: For the TXL timecode plugin to actually work, an audio output has to be selected in dorico preferences. This was not the case when I was setting up the plugin, which prevented it from working.

Yes, the plugin has to be associated with a clock signal from somewhere…

Same on PC. Noticed the issue with some hosts that don’t automatically grab an audio clock somehow.

Yes, perhaps this could be written somewhere just to prevent confusion.

Anyway, the TXL timecode 2.10 works very well also with Logic and it now natively knows to add the correct offset with Dorico. Sometimes when I start the playback I get these very slight variations with pitch (& tempo) - it gives this nice analogue feel to working with this setup :slight_smile:

Is this still working for you in Studio One?

It’s very unreliable for me. If I play from bar 1 it just about works but if I play from any other bar it doesn’t sync properly.

Anyone managed to get this working with Studio One or some other solution?

I haven’t tried in a good while… pre W11 and my current machine.

Hopefully Dorico can get a tight sync feature similar to avid satellite link. I would love to move all orchestration duties to Dorico + Noteperformer 4 and sync that to my daw.

Where exactly can I find this in the Dorico preferences?

Here, there is also the device control panel…

Ok…thought you were referring to another setting. Thanks.

But read another post from you that the timecode plugin does not (yet) work in Dorico 5. Have the same problem.
antoine