Feature Request: Set first instrument label to player not instrument

Say you have a “Percussion 1” part that starts out with a Tam-tam. Ideally in the score I’d want that part to be labelled “Percussion 1” and then have an immediate change to Tam-tam, and not just say “Tam-tam” at the beginning of a full score.

Desired appearance:
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.06.01 PM.png
The way Dorico works now you have to create another instrument just to create the change labels so they work correctly (and then add text objects for the instrument, etc.

This is true of percussion but also for other players. For a player that’s holding a flute and piccolo I’d want the first instrument name in the score to say “Flute 3/Piccolo” (the player name).

At the very least, I’d love to be able to change the text to what I want in engrave mode.

1 Like

Do you need both Full names and Short ones?
If you’re only using Full names for your first page/System, you could edit the name of the Flute to include the (Piccolo).

Full Names and I see what you mean, but I don’t want to have to go through the score and change each of the “Flute & Piccolo” changes to be just “Flute”, really there should be a setting that makes the instrument name at the beginning of the score the player name (if desired).

At the very least the first Instrument Name should be able to be edited.

sounds similar to this thread :

I think so. I also think there should be some override option for this.