Feature request - vst connect

Not quite sure what you mean. Repeated: the recording section controls what you hear and record in the Studio, the Monitor section controls what the Performer hears. This has been like that since v 1.0 (I guess). What’s not yet implemented is saving presets for plugins in Performer.

Ok thanks, that makes sense. It is always a bit of a hassle discussing vst connect since you cant really work with it unless someone is connected to you, and when you dont have things infront of you it can be hard to remember how things worked when it was 3 weeks since you last looked at it.

Infact here is another feature request: A server that you can connect to that constantly plays audio, so that you can connect to this fake person and “practise using vst connect” without taking up your performers time.

is it possible to name the different channels? so that I can see which sound I put on the different channels?

test robot: we are considering that already, will be limited though how many can test at a time.
rename channels is in the making, should work with next update.

1 Like

Great News! Thanks!

Is there a way to change the knob movements from circular to linear?

1 Like

not yet, sorry.

Here’s one: When there’s an internet glitch (have encountered any number of them on current project) I understand why there are dropouts on the Nuendo side-- it makes sense that a faulty connection would not create dropouts. BUT-- when the HD files get imported, those dropouts are evident as “lost time” in the file. Since the HD recording happens on the Performer side, into the Performer computer, could the HD recording’s continuity be preserved, or is that not possible?

Yes, I watch my meters, and do retakes. But it’d be great if the HD recordings “saved the day.” Might this someday be part of how VST Connect can work?

What a great addition to Nuendo, in any case.

Chewy

That doesn’t happen because of networking problems. HD files are recorded directly on the Performer machine and as such there is no danger of dropouts because of networking problems. Net actions are lower priority. Thus, Performer most probably has too low a buffer (latency) setting.
We also discovered a performance problem in some cases for Apple platforms, fixed with the next version. For now, try to convince Performer to raise his or her buffer size, can also be set from the Studio side/Performer settings if Performer is on OSX.

That’s the idea, and so far it has worked that way, but see above.

I’m wondering if this is has something to do with what I experienced. I did experiment with different buffer sizes (we’re both on Macs), and the issue remained regardless.

For what it’s worth, the Performer side was using an ApogeeOne, which, either due to Performer-side user inexperience or driver issues (haven’t had the opportunity to fully troubleshoot), has been problematic. Its connection to Performer has been spotty-- at times, even when it shows connection to Performer the input would actually be coming from the internal microphone. I developed a routine for getting things running again, the most important factor apparently being running Onyx. And even then, I’ve never been able to get the Performer side headphones to work.

I’ve tested my session out with a colleague in another location, but in his case using an Apollo, and it works flawlessly, with no settings adjustments. Headphones work, no dropouts in any of our trials. This suggests to me, though I’m not the world’s most systematic troubleshooter, that the issue’s either the interface and/or its driver or the Performer-side computer (a newer MacBook Air, but not Silicon).

Does any of this sound like something you’ve seen before?

Chewy

Well, problems with audio interfaces are a wide issue, nothing particulary related to VST Connect. Try to see if built-in or other audio interfaces work with the same computer. Always make sure to have up-to-date drivers…common advice for interface problems, nothing specific I could tell.

Is there a way to get video streaming while in rehearse mode? Would be super useful for doing mix reviews with a client.

1 Like

We’ll look into it, thanks.

I tried to find a way to change knob mode from circular (the default setting apparently) to linear, in VST Connect Performer, to no avail.

+1 for Linear Mode knob setting: This is an imperative setting to add in the configuration options, the default circular mode is very “jumpy” and most of my clients use the good ol’ linear mode (as I do too).

+1 for video streaming while in rehearse mode. Would in fact be MORE than super useful for doing mix and master reviews with clients.

2 Likes

knob mode setting for VST Connect Performer coming next version. For the plugin, the Cubase/Nuendo setting is imperative.
We’ll also look into video streaming in rehearse, should be doable.

3 Likes

would it be possible to change get HD so that the files dont end up on top of each other if the stereo-stream is on separate tracks?

Not sure what you mean? record 1st voice on track1, new Performer track2, record 2nd voice on track2, Get HD and recordings are replaced, no?

1 Like

here is my workflow: I record a take, and then move the event to a channel where there is space. I record another take on the channel I have set up for recording and then I move that event to another channel where there is space. I dont record the Stereo stream in HD at all, since I dont need that so those events are not replaced. I do however record 2 channels separately in HD and all of these end up on top of each other when I use get HD. This means I have to drag them all to separate tracks, which takes 5 minutes of unnecessary time if I got a lot of takes in a project from a session.

Are you looking for ‘Lanes’ type functionality?

not really, unless I used the lane feature when I recorded. just that vst connect creates new channels when you use GET HD, however, it only creates the same amount of channels that I record HD files of, but if I have recorded several takes and they are on separate channels, it would be nice to get them all separated when they are imported as HD

Hi Score81, haven’t we discussed that topic in the past? Whatever. Let me try to catch it. It sounds that you are doing Multi-Recording, Let’s imagine you are recording the “VST-I” channel. You “Get-HD” your first recording and a “VST-I” track will be added to Cubase. And to that “VST-I” track VCON will add the HD-event. Correct? You are doing another “VST-I” recording. And “Get-HD” again. What happens? VCON will use the “VST-I” track and add the new HD-event to it. Correct? And that’s your problem. You would like to have for every “Get-HD” a new “VST-I” track, right?
Hm. What I could think of is a new “Settings” entry called “Create Always New Host Track for every HD event”. Something like this?

See you,
Michael.