Feature request - vst connect

Hi

Yes, it’s true, we did discuss this a couple years back, forgot what conclusion we came to. But I just brought it up cause I realize it’s still a bit of a hassel.

You explaination confuses me a bit, but I can Imagine that mine does too. But at the same time I am thinking that perhaps you still understand what I mean. the new setting function you describe could be what I am asking for. Otherwise I guess I can make a movie where I explain and show what happens and what I would like. One thing that I think you got wrong is that It’s not about using GET HD multiple times. It can be that I have just recorded 6 takes. and then use GET HD and when they are imported that are all on top of each other.

Your solution could be a solution, however one detail is that no new track needs to be created if that recording is the only one on that channel at that point in time. I just dont want the events on top of each other. However, if that would be a lot more complicated to program, it should work with your solution too.

let me know if you want a film showing what I mean

another feature request which I have brought up before:

the “mute perfomer talkback during recording” function

would be very nice. So in other words, a button which mutes that channel from the performer only during recording.

As the purpose of VST Connect is to record the Performer, I have some difficulties to understand why you would want to mute the Performer while recording :slight_smile:
I guess you mean to be able to declare one channel as ‘Performer Talkback’, which is then switched like the one in the Studio. We’ve been thinking about this too, probably a setting to choose said channel.

… yes, please. Thank you very much!

Michael.

that is exactly what I mean. My perfomer uses plugins to get distortion on his guitar, which means that in the room he is playing there is a lot of noise from the strings of the electric guitar being picked up by his talkback. This would be very nice to be able to automatically turn off during recording, that way it is easier for me to hear what he is actually playing and to judge wether we need to do a retake or not.

As of now, I have to manually lower the volume when I hit record, and remember to increase it afterwards, to be able to hear what he is saying, would be very nice to have automated

will be in next version.

2 Likes

Yes, this is an existing problem. (Talkback on the Performer side) I’m glad there will be a solution soon.

cool, thanks!

Here is another request: internet buffer on the performer side

I did a test a week ago to use cellphone data as my internet connection. This was after having successfully run the last couple of sessions over wifi (which is great that this works)
However , Using cellphone internet turned out to work too, which is even better! This gives lots of flexibility!

However, My performers have always been on fiber, I assume that the buffer I set does not affect them? or does it? Regardless, I was thinking that perhaps the internet buffer could be improved a bit where you set one buffer for the studio side and one buffer on the performer side, and by just setting the buffer high enough that would enable the performer to use cellphone internet also. that would be great! (no more waking the kids up in the middle of the night due to vocal tracking because you could go to a nearby shed and record…)

and also, of course it is good if I can set everything from the studio side as usual

buffers are equally constructed on either side, as what counts is the roundtrip latency. It would not help to set those individually.
We have worked with smartphone tethering many times quite successfully. It always comes down to quality of the connection. WiFi and tethering may well work, but only if all involved networks (phone, wifi or phone connection, but most of all your provider, all hops in between, and all of that on the other side) deliver sufficient quality. Speed is almost never of concern, reliability is the more. Then you can succeed even with the wildest configurations. If any link in the chain is too weak, it doesn’t even help to increase Remote Latency anymore. To sum it up, setting Remote Latency is communicated to the Performer which adjusts its buffer size accordingly.

ok, gotcha, thanks. guess we better just try then, and see if it works or not

Hey @musicullum your post response is great and a really important one that should be stickied! :blush:

Usually this is the first conversation I have with all clients that I use vstconnect with, helping them to understand that connection quality trunks speed. I’ve had successful sessions where the quality was great and the connection speed was less than 1mbs and unsuccessful sessions where it’s vice versa. I send a note prior indicating this to help negate any negative feedback if the connection gives issues, basically setting expectations.

Some of the clients I now work with regularly where in the beginning there were issues, have updated their setups to ensure better quality connections. Most of us had never considered this before, including myself. I used to consider that speed was everything, as that’s how it’s sold.

Yes, this is tough to communicate, as all that counts with Netflix & Co is speed and bandwidth. VST Connect can deal with upstream rates as low as approx 384 kBit/sec so that’s not a problem, but we can’t buffer for 10 or more seconds like those services can. But we are continuously working on improving on weaker connections, not so easy as our precious internet is quite unpredictable at times.

1 Like

That right there is a great way to explain it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: