FR: global distance between immediate dynamic and text suffix

I use the dynamic suffix property quite a bit to include expressive instructions, but I always find myself adding an extra space at the beginning, especially in the example below. It would be nice to have a global option to increase the distance there.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is quite as simple as it may appear, because it comes down to the width of the space in the font you are using for your suffix, and the last character in the actual dynamic itself. I suspect different values would be needed for a bunch of different situations.

But wouldn’t be that be the reason to put it in Engraving Options? The dynamic suffix font isn’t going to change within the project, and neither is the music font. Sure, the last character would create some variance, but Dorico has already chosen a “global” width that generally works, just not always. That’s already a “one size fits all” approach.

The Engraving Option could be set to Dorico’s current defaults, and the user could deviate from them if needed. I just wish the default were universally one space wider.

Although Dorico seems to eliminate extra spaces in the popover, you can still add them in the suffix field in the properties panel.

Right, but individually for each and every instance!

Would adding an unseen space to each dynamic interfere (perhaps only subtly) with the justification of the dynamic used without suffix, particularly when a dynamic was centered on the notehead?

Well, in that case I just wouldn’t add the extra space I guess.

Perhaps I should have said, “Would having Dorico add a a default unseen space…”

No, I wouldn’t think so. The hidden item would be the immediate dynamic, and the visible item would be the suffix. I think the space between them would be immaterial. But if course this is all speculation.

The behavior of Dorico not inserting a space automatically between the ”f ”(forte) mark and the suffix is a bug, isn’t it? Because in the cases after the ”sf ” (sforzando) and after the “p”(piano), Dorico automatically inserts a space.

space between dynamics and suffix, bug?.dorico (364.7 KB)

For comparison, the Opus font for Sibelius has a nice, wide space character, very suitable for this. When I want e.g. “mf broaden” in Sibelius, I type no space between them at first, then go back and add the space after the f to force Sib to use the music font.

Of course Dorico does this completely differently, and of course there are kerning issues with an italic f in fine typography. But I would be quite happy with a default space the size of an en-space between dynamic and text.