GEAR Install Uninstall

Hi and thank you for all of these links,
I’ve just tried all of them and finally the GEARAspi Remover tool and nothing works.
I am going to try contacting Windows to see if there is anyone there that can help.

Just my 2 cents. Try it again. There are small gotchas.

1. Download and run the Gear removal tool. It’s not 100% obvious on the app window instructions, but it REQUIRES 2 RUNS and 2 REBOOTS. After it runs the first time, YOU MUST REBOOT, MANUALLY RUN IT AGAIN, AND REBOOT AGAIN. It’s a 2 part removal, and it’s not going to tell you to run it again after the first reboot (it only tells you before). They might have made that clearer, or forced a run on reboot, but they didn’t.
    Index of gearsoftware.com/downloads/freebies/

2. After that, download and run the Gear driver installer, using the Install or Repair button in the install.
    Driver updates - GEAR Software

3. Shut down the computer. plug in the cd drive (if it’s external), start the computer, make sure the cd drive power light is coming on. make sure the cd drive is visible in My Computer and looks ok in Device Manager.

4. download and run the Gear checker, making sure the cd drive power light is still on.
    Index of gearsoftware.com/downloads/freebies/

The gear checker should verifiy ok, and you should be able to start Wavelab, put a cd in the drive, and see the drive.

If it STILL DOESN’T WORK (BUT IT ALWAYS WORKS FROM MY TESTING AS LONG AS YOU MAKE SURE TO MANUALLY RUN THE GEAR REMOVAL TOOL TWICE), just do the original 2009 ccm.net registry fix from the first post in this thread:

1. RUN THE GEAR DRIVER INSTALLER, using the Install or Repair button in the install.

2. DO THE CCM.NET REGISTRY FIX. (IT’S PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA TO MAKE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT BEFORE MODIFYING THE REGISTRY, IF YOU NEED TO GO BACK).

Heres the registry fix from the ccm.net forum:

“Go to the registry (start->run->regedit.exe) and look for “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}”. Select it, then Right click in the right section of the window and select “New->Multi-String Value”. Name it “UpperFilters”. Right click on it and select “Modify”. Enter “GEARAspiWDM” into the “Value Data”. Press Enter to move to the next line, then click OK. Restart the computer and it should be fixed.
If not also try to make a “LowerFilters” and leave it blank.”

Restart the computer with the cd drive plugged in and powered on. Run the Gear checker, or just check it in Wavelab. It should work. If not run the Gear Drive installer again.

Hi bob99
I have run through this to the ‘T’ and GEARAspi Checker says:
‘’
GEARAspiWDM is not running
Driver verification has completed.

Drivers are not correctly installed. Error 1000000.
‘’

When I first tried this all those hours ago it said ‘‘Error 3000000.’’

After carrying out all your fixes the Driver Details General tab now shows this Device status

''Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

{Bad Image}
%hs is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0x’’

And now there is Warning sign on top of the TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208GB Drive in Device Manager

I’ve worked through all of these in this list too:

When I work through this lot and do everything then NCH Express Burn Disc Burning software and Windows Media Player Burning works fine but WaveLab Elements 9.5.40 still does not recognise the drive.
However, when I do all your fixes the Warning shows up and neither the NCH or Windows Media Player Burning software work.
WaveLab Elements 9.5.40 still does not recognise the Drive!

It seems to me that the problem lies with WaveLab Elements 9.5.40 because the other software recognises the drive with no problem at all.
I really hope we get this sorted. It’s nearly midnight and I almost been sat here all day.

Thank you for your help so far bob99

This is what i tried to send to Windows. It wouldn’t Submit it in the Submit Question section for some reason… luckily I saved all the info.

''CD/DVD-ROM Reader/Writer Device not being seen by WaveLab Elements 9.5.40 in Windows 10 Home, Version 1809, OS Build 17763.195
Hi,
I am having problems with my Laptop again. I say this as I have had similar problems previously in the link added below and this time those fixes are not working.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/my-dvd-reader-writer-does-not-work-since-the-last/dd455a3a-a27c-4256-a8a5-7458bb061a01?messageId=e793080f-4c31-4fac-a5e1-21477d7df969
Is there any chance someone can help me sort this out again?
I have sent a Support Ticket to Steinberg and also posted in the Steinberg Wavelab Elements Forum and all they say is that the GEARAspi Drivers are not installed correctly. They are are aware of a problem and have been in touch with GEAR and GEAR have subsequently created a tool to remove the GEARAspi Drivers but this has not sorted my problem out.
NCH Express Burn Disc Burning Software has no problem Identifying the CD/DVD-ROM Drive in question (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208GB).

Device Manager
Open DVD/CD-ROM drives
Right Click
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208GB
Properties
General tab under Device Status states that ‘The device is working properly.
Driver Tab
Driver Details
Driver files: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Provider: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 10.0.17763.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
I’ve Uninstalled the Drivers and Rebooted and then also used the GEARAspi Remover tool to try remove the Driver and then Rebooted and I’ve also then supposedly Installed the Driver from this link:
and nothing has sort out the problem.
If the NCH Software is seeing the Drive then why is WaveLab Elements 9.5.40 not seeing the Drive?
I’ve gone into Regedit and followed these instructions (To remove the GEARAspiWDM entry double-click UpperFilters and, under Value data, remove GEARAspiWDM > OK )
I’m not really sure what to do here. IF Wavelab is using the GEARAspi driver then should I have removed the Value data under UpperFilters and having a look in the location, there is no LowerFilter there either.
When I try follow the Steinberg links they posted here:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Determining_if_GEARAspi_drivers_are_installed_correctly
Then the NCH software stops recognising the drive and WaveLab Elements 9.5.40 still does not recognise the drive.
I’m totally confused and am not a computer programmer at all but I recon I’m getting pretty good at trying to figure things out doing all this. Alas!
Nothing I do helps.
Please help me sort this out. I’ve tried to give you as much information as possible. If you need anything more then please let me know.
I am looking to remove the NCH software and just use WaveLab in future so, if NCH doesn’t use GEARAspi and WaveLab does then I’d be happy to follow what I have to do to get Wavelab seeing the CD/DVD-ROM Reader/Writer Drive so that I can just work with that.
I look forward to hearing from someone.
Kind regards,
Gareth’’

Hi PG and bob99

After carrying out the items in the link below this is what the Device Manager shows:

It seems the the GEARAspiWDM Driver that is added to the list in the Driver Details is causing the other programs to not see the Driver but as soon as I remove the Regedit Upper and Lower Filters in the specified location and then Restart, the Warning that appears over the TSStcorp Drive in the Device Manager disappears and the other programs work with no problem again.

For some reason when I follow your instructions bob99, the Warning appears and the other programs do not recognise the Drive anymore.

Either way, WaveLab Elements 9.5.40 is not recognising the Drive for some reason.

Happy New Year by the way.

I hope we can sort this everyone because I’m about to give up and chuck all this computer lark and go hardware.

Thank you for all your help so far.

Kind regards,
Gareth

PG

When is Steinberg going to sort this issue out? Wavelab users should not have to undertake this sort of work to allow CD burning. As has been stated numerous times before all other programs on Windows see the burners without issue. It is only WL that needs the user to jump through so many hoops. I was lucky in that bob99’s instructions worked for me as up to that point I had to use WL6 to burn CDs from montages created in WL9 via a cue sheet.

Jim

On this page:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/downloads.php?dir=freebies/
you have a link to GEARAspi_Remover.exe

Direct link is:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/downloads.php?dir=freebies/&file=GEARAspi_Remover.exe

“Removes files and registry entries associated with the GEARAspi driver set. This is NOT an uninstaller, this is only meant to remove files and registry entries in the event that the installer is not able to fully uninstall the driver”

Like PG says, run the removal tool. At this point, I would uninstall Gear in Programs Add/Remove first, then run the Removal Tool (making sure to carefully follow the onscreen instructions - run, press start, reboot, run again, press start again, reboot). Then reinstall the Gear drivers. You say your other programs stop working when the Gear driver appears in Device Manager, but we all have both drivers appearing in our Device Managers and our drives are working with all programs. And you need to have the Gear driver appear there to have it work with Wavelab.

Also, If you’re removed the Upper and Lower filters in Microsoft Optical Drive Troubleshooting Method 5, Gear must be fixed afterward with the Removal Tool or the ccm.net fix in order to work. The ccm.net fix and the Gear Removal Tool were created because of the problem Microsoft Troubleshooting Method 5 causes with Gear. (normal program uninstall and reinstall as suggested by Microsoft doesn’t help). Must run the Removal Tool correctly, or the ccm.net fix, then Reinstall or Repair the Gear drivers.)

Jim I’m glad it worked for you and I agree with you. I think there should at least be a special support page article that tells you how this works, that could be found if someone goes to the Steinberg Support page and searches for “Wavelab CD drive” or something like that. As it is now, a new user has no idea there’s something called Gear that has be dealt with in order to fix the issue.

If anyone has problems with their CD drive in any program or in Windows and runs through the Microsoft Optical Drive troubleshooting steps trying to fix it,

they’re going to break the drive in Wavelab by running Microsoft Method #5.

At the end of Method #5 Microsoft says “After trying this method, some apps, such as CD or DVD recording software, might not work correctly. If so, try uninstalling and reinstalling the affected app. Check with the creator of the app to see if there is an updated version.”

So the user will uninstall and reinstall Wavelab, which will do nothing. And even if they then somehow find out it’s something called Gear that they need to uninstall and reinstall, they’d find out that doesn’t work either. And they’re not going to know that they then must run the Gear Removal Tool or perform the Gear manual registry removal on the Gear site (which does the same thing as the Removal Tool, but is a huge pain) and then reinstall Gear, to fix it. So I really think there should be a special support page article about this, explaining what is what, and how it needs to be fixed.

If you go to Steinberg Support

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us

and search for Cubase CD, it brings up 5 articles.

If you search for Wavelab CD, it brings up 1 article, and it’s not about this. I’d say this is a known issue that really needs a support article.

+1