Glissandi

Apologies if this question has been answered already but I’m after some advice on glissandi playback. Basically, I’m writing glisses for trombones but when they playback they’re sounding each note chromatically as opposed to sounding as a true slide trombone gliss. Is there perchance a way of changing this to get what I’m after? Because it’s a while since I’ve used Dorico (I’m on Dorico 4) I’m also hampered by the fact that I can’t remember how to open the ‘Inspector’ window as I feel the answer may lie there. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

At the moment, Dorico doesn’t support pitch bend glissando playback. It’s something we plan to add in a future version.

2 Likes

Hello,

I do this as follows:

1. Check “Suppress playback” on the bottom panel of Write mode for the Play technique “glissando” and the note which comes after the “glissando”.
  2. Extend the length of the first note from which the Play technique “glissando” begins to the end of the next note which is muted on step 1.
  3. Design the MIDI pitch bend as needed.

Recently I posted a post regarding this. Could you read my post?:

The post includes my approach to your answer illustrated above, but there are also some problems, and I have not discovered any better ways,

1 Like

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Much appreciated.

If it is implemented, Dorico will have a wonderful, advanced DAW feature!

corrected:
If it is implemented, Dorico will have not only an excellent notator feature but also a remarkable, advanced DAW feature!

I can’t wait for this feature. But how would this be a DAW feature? How would you do this in a DAW?

Paolo

Controlling musical events by assigning a musical symbol to score has two roles:

• A notator feature because it is related to musical notation, which could be printed out.
  • A DAW feature because it controls MIDI events as time passes in real-time.

One should input the note and draw envelope lines on the automation pane when working on this with DAW. In Dorico, we should currently do the same thing as in DAWs as illustrated in my first post in this thread. Thus, I think this feature is a DAW feature.

My second post needed to be more sufficiently written. I should have had to write as follows:
If it is implemented, Dorico will have not only an excellent notator feature but also a remarkable, advanced DAW feature!