Grace notes vs. barline: simultaneously before and after

In Cello 2, I want the grace note to come after the barline, but I can’t figure out how. I set the nachschlag in Cello 4 to be before the barline, and Dorico is making all grace notes there behave the same way, even though they have a completely different purpose. The Properties panel is not helping.

I tried to manually move the grace note to the right in Engrave mode, but it’s currently sitting at the end of a system, and putting it after the barline would mean moving it to the following system, which doesn’t happen. Is there a solution?

1 Like

Thanks, Dan. I read through this thread, but I think my case is different, as the grace notes are on different staves. I might be missing something obvious, but I still don’t see how to make it work!

I can think of a workaround involving making that grace note a “real” note, using a hidden tuplet, and changing the note to cue size. It’s gross, but it would work. Realistic playback would require a little tweaking.

Not so bad, actually.

Great idea, thanks!

I’m hoping in future versions we’ll be able to set “before” or “after” individually in different staves.

2 Likes

This problem has already been mentioned in Dec. 2019. Is there any news about an update in which this will be covered?

In a word: no. The development team will undoubtedly get to it when they get to it, and I’d wager they’ll not advertise it as fixed until it’s either been implemented in development builds or is actually released.

1 Like

Nice solution, Dankreider, and easy to implement ;-). And in doing so I discovered Dorico allows for the unusual 2:1 tuplet!

I have exactly the same issue. It seems that it is not possible to simultaneously have grace notes before the barline in one instrument and after the barline in another. The reason this two different options need to happen simultaneously is that one is an acciacatura and the other is the end of a trill (Nachschlag). I’ll just fix it in Engrave mode for now. Cheers to everyone!

July 23. Its still not possible to have grace notes after and before a barline at the same time. @dan_kreider Your workaround is cool, but far to laborious for my piece. I have to get finished till tuesday … :cold_sweat:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-09 um 20.22.26

I have to say this one has bitten me many times, and I don’t know the workaround you’re talking about (unless we’re talking about moving the notes in note spacing sub-mode, which I would rather not use). Hopefully this will be solved sooner than later :crossed_fingers:

Hi everybody,
I think I just found a solution (workaround) to the problem (using grace notes simultaneously before AND after barline in different players). It doesn’t need to invoke hidden tuplets. It uses just “duplicates” and “hidden note heads and stems”. (Eventually suppress playback for the hidden elements and tweaking in key editor is desired, if right playback is needed.)

I attach an explanatory picture and the Dorico file. I hope it can help. Greetings.

grace notes before AND after barline.dorico (518.0 KB)

5 Likes

Clever!

1 Like

I’ve just tried this for myself a moment ago - it works beautifully!
Visually, it is a great workaround and deserves a prize.
As mentioned, playback will need some tweaking, but the “look” is more important for me.

1 Like

Thank you Steven,

and actually I played back my example above, and with suppress playback activated on the hidden noteheads Dorico plays the visible notest+grace notes correctly as the notation requires. :slight_smile: