Graphic Divisi arrows

Hello Dorico users
Long ago, when Dorico divisi was less sophisticated, I created a vocal score in two sections: one with choir reduction, the other with SATB open score. Rather than rewriting the score with divisi changes, is there any way I can just add graphic divisi arrows at the end of the first section?
Thanks for any pointers…

You would have to create a custom playing technique and place the glyph manually.

Thanks @Romanos
Does that mean that there is no built-in option for graphic divisi arrows?

There is, but you need to use the built-in divisi feature.
It’s not yet possible though to go from an SA TB grand staff with Divisi to four SATB staves, at least not without workarounds.

(The workaround would probably be to create a Choir Section player (must be a vocalist), and use divisi from the beginning of the score, where when 2 staves are needed you‘ll split the section into 2, and where 4 staves are needed into 4).

Anyhow, as you said you don’t want to redo the Divisi, therefore @Romanos solution is probably the best you have.

1 Like

Here is the relevant page from the smufl schematic:
https://w3c.github.io/smufl/latest/tables/staff-brackets-and-dividers.html?highlight=split#staff-brackets-and-dividers-ue000ue00f

You would go to create a custom playing technique, and filter for the staff brackets and dividers sub category and then add the symbol in the lower right.

I suppose you could also use the Lines panel to create two arrows, and adjust them in Engrave mode.

The problem is that this will be finicky and unreliable, and you’ll never get each instance to be exactly the same. That’s why plopping in the existing glyph would be a much better way to go about it.

1 Like

Thanks to you both for your helpful replies. Before I got James’s second last message I decided just to re-do the score in the newer style Dorico divisis. So now it’s looking fine. Took a bit more time, but more steady in the end. I’ll save up that smufl link for future use. Thanks to you both.

4 Likes

I was going to suggest that you redo your piece, since the divisi feature is so awesome - but I didn’t want to presume. I’m glad you did it!

1 Like

Thanks.

I’m coming back to this again, just to find out…
Is there any way to hide the divisi arrows (and the cautionary tenor clef change that appears) when you go divisi from a choir reduction to SATB?

There shouldn’t be a clef change, unless you’ve created an explicit clef yourself. Can you attach a project that shows this problem in action?

Many thanks, Daniel @dspreadbury .
Here is the file attached. At end of b. 27, I split to SATB divisi in b. 28.
The split automatically generates divisi arrows and a cautionary tenor clef at the end of b. 27.
I recently rewrote this file (formerly in two Flows) as one Flow with divisi. But I forgot that, given the structure of the piece, verse 3 (b. 27) repeats to verse 4 (b. 1), and doesn’t proceed directly to v.5 (b. 28). Therefore the divisi arrows and cautionary clef are a mistake in context.
Is there any way to hide them, please?
The Tree Of Life My Soul Hath Seen.zip (1.5 MB)

Inserting a coda gets rid of the cautionary clef.

Honestly, if I were you I might just take this into a PDF editor and move the split arrows to page one, possibly at the end of the line of lyrics for V.4 as that would be a cue to everyone equally that something is going to happen.

The other (and perhaps better) option is to re-present V.4 as it’s own page after V.3, and split from there. This would have the added benefit of making the structure much more clear, and would also mean that the polyphony for V.5 ends up as a nice spread without any page turns. I’ll grant that this option uses more paper, however, so it may not be as desirable.

Many thanks James @Romanos. It’s good to see that entering a Coda gets rid of the cautionary clef. But the divisi arrows obstinately remain.
Yes, putting V. 4 on it own page after V. 3 would be nicest. But, like you say, I’m trying to reduce paper use and page turning. If I go onto five pages, I need to print an 8-page booklet.

Well… I know that you went through the pain of using Divisi correctly, but the nuclear option is to just add extra S.A.T.B. staves, move the last two pages of music to those new staves, and then not use the divisi feature and use just the glyphs like we originally suggested. Major pain, I know. Honestly, I’d just take it to a PDF editor and move the glyphs outside of Dorico.

Have you tried “Engraving options>Divisi>Do not show divide arrows”?

1 Like

Thanks @rafaelv That works.
Now I need to attach the divisi arrows to end of v. 4. But I’ve just spent half an hour trying to attach divisi arrows as glyphs. And no success. Am I right in thinking that Music Symbols can only be attached inside a text box, yet the text box cannot be placed in the margin.
Seems like a painful process.

No, Music symbols can be inserted in Shift-X text (or Playing Techniques) which can be dragged anywhere. Both of those can also be hidden independently in each layout, from the properties panel.

1 Like

Just right click and select the option to “insert music text” and then search for the glyph.