HALion 4.5 public beta

Nice work Steinberg and a thank you Warp, Legato, this HAlion 4 is becoming a very dangerous piece of software indeed, with what we can do already and still holding top quality sounding, looking very sharp it may be my imagination but it feels snappy and quick.

Beta did not ruin my projects still all in place with all voices, could not resist the beta .5 loving it

novaburst

Any chance of implementing slicing into this update?
This is a must!

Anyone else having trouble importing HALion 3 FXBs in HALion 4.5?

I couldnā€™t load them in HALion 4.1 either. With the new browser in 4.5, I can at least SEE the FXBs.

Hereā€™s what happens:

-First locate the FXB in the left side window of the Browser. Check! ( :
-Select the FXB. The programs within the FXB are listed in the right window of the Browser. Check! ( :
-Right click on the FXB within the left side of the window of the Browser and then select ā€œImport FXP/FXB file from the Browser windowā€.
-An ā€œImporting preset into MediaBayā€ progress bar briefly appears, then dissappears.
-I can not locate my FXB or itā€™s contents anywhere. I checked all the Media Bays. + It never prompted to ā€œlocateā€ my ā€œmissingā€ samples.

Now- if I choose to just import and FXP using the same method, it ALSO doesnā€™t work. BUT- if I drag an FXP from the right window of the Browser into the Slot rackā€“the program loads and then prompts me to locate my samples.

Hereā€™s a little more background. I have hundreds of FXBs and almost every FXB contains about 100 programs (FXP). Some of each of the programs contain 50-88 samples. When I import them into HALion 3, it prompts me for the sample locations and then loads the samples. No problems. My samples are currently all located in another folder so unfortunately going through the ā€œlocate samplesā€ stage is an important piece of the puzzle. I just want to be able to do the same thing in HALion 4 and then convert my entire library over to VST sound or ?

Also, I should mention that I setup a ā€œDestination Folderā€. But I also tried leaving that option blank, too. Also, Iā€™ve tested this in the 32-bit, 64-bit, and standalone and got the same result each time. I also made sure the ā€œAutomatically add preset to MediaBay on importā€ button was activeā€“and I also tried it inactive.

Maybe Iā€™m missing something? Anybody got any ideas?
I could possibly send an FXB file (without samples) to see if itā€™s system related or maybe my FXB file format is somehow not compatible with HALion 4 ?..

Thanks in advance. Iā€™ll keep looking for other bugs, but this is a BIG one for meā€¦because right now, I can only use HALion 3 to access my personal sample library. I havenā€™t even STARTED to play with all of the other toys in HALion 4.

Also, Iā€™m using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Found a typo under the tooltip popup for Max Preload under Options. ā€œAvailbaleā€ :slight_smile:

There seems to be an issue with auto load/mapping of multiple samples. Selecting the same load options in the menu as before(pre-beta) and the set of samples seems to be mapping consecutively(same order as they were listed in media bay), instead of mappin by sample name/text.

congrats to Steinberg for making betas first and listening for problems before ā€œsetting in concreteā€, which they have traditionally done in the past without caring about users found bugs and problems. this is a major step forward for keeping users happy, and making better / more solid products. Something happened in Stenberg 12 months ago and they became a different/better company. Finally. Well done!

i do not know why Halion 4 dropped Akai sample cd support tho, surely this would have been corrected in 4.5ā€¦can anyone confirm?

Cheers,
Blackout

Yo->

This Beta Upgrade is such a treat!.. 4.5 will be amazing, no doubt. Wanted to ask thoughā€¦ Is anyone else noticing some load/read errors with the new browser? Using Media bay in Cubase I am able to very efficiently find/search/access all my samples n programs with easeā€¦ With the new embedded Halion browser the process seems kinda buggy with a slower search speedā€¦ Idk

wow wowā€¦ I love steinberg.

fantastic update~~

when will H4.5 full release?

just my little hope is ā€¦

1st- i want to can edit flexphraser as midi note in cubase or in H4.

2nd- i want to can save midi controller setting as trillian or omnisphere.

3rd- h4`s automation type is a little confuse. i can edit automation only quickcontrol knob by read/write.

4th- I want to create new empty slot.

if i want create only new osc with new slot, i have to load a patch

Other way isā€¦ create a zone and drag and drop to slot rack

but this way is only 1time and needed empty slot rack . if other slot already exist it`s useless.

5th- i want to use 16 trigger pads as Groove Agent One.

8 pads is inconvenient.

If SB will apply my little hope to full release I will decoy my friends who use kontakt and battery!!!. :smiley:

ps-- english is hardā€¦ very hardā€¦ :open_mouth:

Hi there Steinberg,

Donā€™t know if this has been brought up but the " Move root key with zones" button in the Mapping area doesnā€™t seem to be working anymore either.The button turns on but when you move the zones the root key stays where it was., along with what i said in an earlier post about the dropping samples on to the mapping area sizing does not work anymore (it works ok on the keys).

Can anyone else please confirm that these things have stopped working for them too, thanks. :smiley:

Kind regards, Codsworth

Thanks a lot in advance for the coming 4.5 update. With the new features Halion is becomming one of my favourite tools. Just a quick question: should I be able to import samples (both single or batch) from the new browser? As it is, I seem to only be able to playback samples.

if you press L while a sample is highlighted it will load it. You can also drag and drop a sample from the browser into a slot.

Great - thanks for the tip!

Steinberg, please have a look at the following thread for an issue with the slice player randomize/midi dump feature which creeped into the 4.5beta release of Halion that was not present in previous releases. There was a confirmation from another user as to my findings as well. Thanks!

Iā€™m not seeing any way to change sample references when batch importing. So, if I copy exs instruments from another machine the sample directory references have to be changed and the patches saved one at a time, as missing samples are found. Perhaps a ā€˜batch resaveā€™ function, ala Kontakt would be useful. Also, the choice to apply parameters on batch import would be nice, such as -filters off, -release times at 0ā€¦

+1, I can confirm this. Dragging and dropping a sample (from anywhere really), into the mapping tab of Halion 4, no longer shows the ā€˜rangeā€™ in which the dropped sample will be applied to unless you are directly hovering over a key itself. If one drags and drops a sample into the area above the keys it no longer shows the range in which the sample will be dropped when you move the mouse up and down accordingly to select the desired change. This behavior worked differently before the 4.5beta update, in which the user could in fact drag a sample into the area above the physical keys themselves and be able to select a range in which to drop the sample and have that sample set to that range as per the users desire.

Can we have the option back to hover the mouse anywhere within the mapping area and have the range visible to which the sample will be set to, not just when the mouse is right over top a physical key?

haha, +1, confirmed. The type is in fact reading Availbale, not Available.

Anyone else experiencing issues opening a loaded sample in an external editor? I used this function before the 4.5beta update, but not again until just now. I right click on a waveform of a loaded sample in the sample tab and select sample/open in external editor, wavelab 6 opens, but to a blank slate, no actual sample is loaded. I can do this process over and over and Wavelab will open as should, but only to a blank slate, no actual sample loaded.

Is this just me, or is this another issue with the 4.5beta update?

hmm, Iā€™m pretty sure I did this last night. I have WL7 though. However, I may not have done it in that way, so Iā€™ll try to remember to give it a go tonight.

Dropped a wave file onto the keys. Opened the Sample Editor. Used the Right Click context menu to Open in External Editor. Sample Opened in WL7 just fine. I edited in WL and it asked me if I wanted to save a backup when coming back to H4.

Strange. I use Wavelab 6 and have done this in Wavelab 6 in the past numerous times, I actually have a thread on it asking if it was possible to make it less destructive in the future so as to not alter the original wave file directly. I will have to have another go at it tomorrow and see what I come up with. Wavelab 6 opens just fine, it just doesnā€™t show any loaded sample and it used to.