Halion 7 a lack of imagination

@Gregio, I could say that I would lack imagination if I were unable to create interesting sounds with such an Instrument.

I like the idea that we can import or reproduce the original sounds of these FM type instruments. This module is very easy to use and with HALion, you can stack dozens of DX7s if you want and modulate them as you wish, it’s a matter of imagination.

In addition, it is possible to combine with this or these FM modules the syntheses already available in HALion. This means that I can create one or more sounds combining FM synthesis, Subtractive synthesis (Analog Oscillator), Wavetable synthesis (Wave Oscillator), Granular synthesis (Granular Oscillator), Sample-based Synthesis (Sample Oscillator) and Ring Modulation Synthesis (Ring Modulator Operator) and you can combine these sound syntheses with other functions such as filters, envelopes, effects and modulations.

Do we really need more than 8 operators to stimulate our imagination? It is already a challenge to create a sound including all these possibilities…

Seriously, this FM module is a long wanted addition and it’s very well designed and pretty true to its origins. For those who don’t have one in their VST library, HALion becomes a very interesting option considering all it has to offer.

However, I totally agree with you regarding the MPE implementation. I want this to happen as soon as possible. However, it is still possible to create an MPE sound with a lot of patience and a good understanding of how MPE works.

I only know of one sound library called Dimension V which uses this implementation and which was made by Lucien Moerkamp. Take a look there.

2 Likes